Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #1

SUN #128
Tweety
help with tires

So they say that a tire never blows out in a convenient location, which is apparently true. We had to put the spare on on the PA tpk in Philly during rush hour. Luckily we only drove a minute or so once we started to feel like the rig was riding wierd. Our tires were manufactured in week 13 of 2005 so probably time for all new ones. We got a spare while we were at Turkey Swamp in NJ, but the tire guy only had a load range D on hand. I know there has been alot of tire discussion here, which we've pulled up and read. But we didn't see any conclusions, and didn't find anything on changing the load range from C to D. Is there any disadvantage to going with load range D now that our spare is D? We'd be interested to know what brand of tires / load range / bias or radial that everyone has chosen when replacing tires. Thanks in advance

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Tweety, we got 4 new Maxxis ST205/75R15 LRC this spring. They are made in Thailand and were just under a year old. We have about 12,000 mi. on them now and I'm really happy with them. Maxxis is a big company although not necessarily in ST tires. I had read some good reviews and bought them on that basis as well as the fact they are available in national chains where I usually travel:

In the US: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...BS&typ=Trailer

In Canada: http://www.kaltire.com/

I noticed on
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=
that many of the "Sunline type" sizes are all of a sudden made in US, Canada and New Zealand instead of China. That would be enough to move me back into Goodyear's camp.

One concern I have on LRD tires is--which size are they? Most brands do not have LRD in 205/75R15 which the size that best matches the relatively skinny wheels. If you happen to have purchased a 225/75R15 LRD it is also taller and really shouldn't be paired with a shorter tire as that will throw off the axle loading. Taller heavier tires also don't brake as well--more rolling momentum--and the extra weight adds unsprung weight to the suspension and a harsher ride. All these numbers are available on the above link to tirerack.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #3

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
When we replaced all 5 of the tires on our 2499 earlier this year, we went with ST tires. I would like to have been able to go with an LT tire, but we also have those narrow 5" rims (I agree with Henry) I could not find the smaller sizes, like 215's. So we stayed with the ST205/75x15 trailer tires.

We chose DURO bias ply tires. I prefer the stiffer sidewalls of a non-radial trailer tire when carrying the heavier loads we experience on our 2499... just my personal preference.

If one day I get enough money to replace the RIMS with wider ones (6 inch), I might consider going with an appropriately sized LT tire. But for now, these seems to be doing well. We took a week-long 1900 mile trip from south Georgia to Virginia and back this summer and had ZERO problems.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #4

SUN #385
Hematite
I agree with dkasten about the bias ply tire choice. When I just recently ordered a new 5 ton equipment trailer, the dealer wanted to know if I wanted radial tires. I said: Absolutely not, I want the bias tires!

I have to say, in retrospect, it was a good decision. With a very heavy load of 4 tons, the trailer and load responded incredibly well. Not a hint of sway; directional stability was exceptional. The dynamics of a tire on a trailer are really quite different than on the tow vehicle. For that reason, I think that the bias ST tires can be a good choice.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Tweety and Mr. Tweety

On your tires, here is some of what I have found.

You asked about going to D load range in place of C. The thought of going with a higher load rated tire is a good one. I too looked at this. It buys you more safety margin for tire break down inside that will occur over time. After digging into enough tire web sites, the tire manufactures now agree that the rubber does break down with age and heat. It may have always been known but now they are putting it in print.

However there is one stumbling block to overcome, the rims. I know my rims are stamped with a max load rating. The T310 for sure is stamped in load rating as I just saw it a few weeks ago. The T2499, same tires as yours, I can’t recall but it may have had a pressure rating and a load rating. Point is, the rim is the weak link. I have read about splitting rims from overpressure, but never exactly on the case of our TT rims. However since it is a max rating, before I would mount a tire of higher air pressure capacity on it, I would call the rim manufacture and have them state that rim can indeed handle the higher pressure. Look at the inside of your spare tire or crawal under and check. The stamp is on the inside of the rim.

Now maybe a thought is to not inflate the D range tire to 65 psi, leave it at 50 like the C range. I would not do that either. This one I have experience on from LT truck tires. Side wall stiffness is needed to keep sway in check. And even on a TT, the tire needs enough stiffness to not induce a sway effect. LT’s tires do not get there stiffness until the higher pressure ranges. Once there they are stiffer, but they are sog city until that area. I suspect D range tires at C range pressure is the same problem. The tire was made to be at full pressure and running it at reduced pressure even if it can carry a reduced load, leaves a soggy tire. Having all 4 TT tires like this I can see being a problem.

So that is the long version of, verify the rims can handle the load range and as Henry J stated, make sure the OD’s do match if you have not already.

Now to the bias verses radial. I wrestled with this one myself. I have nothing against bias. We use to run them on the ton trucks on the farm hauling produce all the time and they where used under full weight and then some….. worked well as that was all that was available in those load ranges. And back then, radials where in the beginning days and could not handle those loads and had other issues. They have advance beyond there original problems and are now a real option. From all my reading the only things I can find on TT tires between the 2 comes down to these 3 areas.

1. The radial runs cooler. It just does. The bias is made to handle the heat so it overcomes that drawback. Heat is declared as one of the problem agents of tire breakdown so cooler gives an edge of advantage. If you are running in very hot climates, out west in AZ, down south etc, that edge may mean a lot more then to use here in the north east. But it is an edge and doing long trips means the edge can maybe even help us here in the north.

2. Side wall stiffness. The bias is stiffer. It just is. Stiffness helps with better anti sway characteristics in TT towing. Creating a stable towing TV and TT has a lot of factors to it. If you are pushing a lot of other limits, small TV, short TV wheel base, light TV suspension that is at it’s max trying to hold up the tongue weight, then TT tire sway can mean a lot more then if you have a large truck that is above the needed requirements as the truck is taking care of it. Right now you know how your 2500 HD handles the TT. You have plenty of truck and then some so you may not find the difference in side sway from radials.

3. Shock absorption. Here the radial is smoother as compared to bias counterpart. The shock transmitted into the TT is less with the radial as the harder bias that gets it’s stiffness let’s it pass thru. It is not a deal breaker, just an attribute.

So where I ended up on my long TT, was to go with the radial. I obtained advantage 1 and 3 above. To help offset 2, I will add shocks on the TT. They will give me more anti sway dampening then the bias would less shocks. My truck and hitch setup match up well to this camper and sway is controlled so I gave up that one bias advantage and compensated with shocks as seeing my really long TT sine wave flexing is something I want to dampen more then the sway and bouncing issues.

Brand. For me, it came down to 2 brands. Maxxis or Denman. Maxxis has the best overall rating I could find on any offshore tire. And now finding a ST US made tire is far and in-between. Maxxis seems to have a better handle on quality control. Also had them on both campers until they aged out and both where made in China and had good luck with them.

I went Denman ST Express Radial and I’m very pleased with them so far. They are made in Mexico…. Denman this year stopped offering the ST Express Radial they now offer a different ST radial type. I bought mine early enough in the year to still get the Express model. They use to say the ST Radial Express was they best Premium trailer tire. Now on the new radial that replaces it they use the words, highest quality at a economical price. I do not know what that means…. I wanted the highest quality and best premium tire. Price was in there but not the deciding factor. They still have the ST bias Express still call it premium and really do not know why they switched the radial. It might be marketing hype or not. They are located in Ohio and you can call if you want to search this out more. National Tire and Battery carry’s them.

Hope this helps. It was how I came to grips with the decision.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #6

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Pam,
You most likely have Dexstar wheels. Here are the specs http://www.dexstarwheel.com/products.html#changer. Just find your wheel size. They give you max load and max pressure.

John,
Don't know if it's true, but I was told the new Denman radial is now made in China.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Mike

Thanks for the Dexstar link. Good info, did not know of them. Learn something new every day here on SOC!!!

This pdf I think will hone in on this. http://www.dexstarwheel.com/products.pdf And a phone number to call about using D on the C load range.

The new Denman and China....Oh great.... Another one bits the dust. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check it out if I get another set. That China part may be the ecomonical part of the new sales lit. Or see if any Express radials are left over not too old. Mine in the spring where only 3 months old. . The T2499 needs a set if the new buyer wanted me to install. If the new Denman is a China tire, then it would be Maxxis for me.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #8

SUN #128
Tweety
Mr Tweety says to tell you guys thanks for all the info and the links. It looks like our rims are fine for the D range tires, but we'll stay with the C since they're more readily available in our size tire. Decided to go with the Goodyear Marathons. Our local tire guy is ordering them for us, and assures me they will have been manufactured this year. With our truck trailer combination we have yet to feel any sway so went with the cooler running more shock absorbing radial tire. Why the Goodyear? Well...no reason really except our usual tire guy can get them for us within a week and the price seemed decent.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #9

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Mike

If the new Denman is a China tire, then it would be Maxxis for me.

John
I am very much, to a fault, against any product made of rubber that is made in China. The quality is poor as far as longevity and resistance to the environment and use. My TT will never again see a chinese tire. IMHO Chinese junk is more than a boat.

Its a bummer that all to often, we no longer have a choice about buying made in china junk.
www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #10

SUN #385
Hematite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiedriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Mike

If the new Denman is a China tire, then it would be Maxxis for me.

John
I am very much, to a fault, against any product made of rubber that is made in China. The quality is poor as far as longevity and resistance to the environment and use. My TT will never again see a chinese tire. IMHO Chinese junk is more than a boat.

Its a bummer that all to often, we no longer have a choice about buying made in china junk.
Absolutely and positively! You could not be more correct. My last foray into tire manufacturing sources indicated that 2 ST tires were still made in the USA and are VERY high quality. Both are bias ply and are sold by Titan and Denman. That was a year ago that I checked. With Denman changing to Chinese manufacture for radials, I don't think that there are any confirmed US made radial ST tires. I would be interested in finding out if the Tire Rack info is correct or not.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #11

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
easternmarine.com's tire pages claim Carlisle's USA Trail ST tires to be the only trailer tires made in the USA. Carlisle's website doesn't mention this anywhere I could find.

Radial ST tire fans will be disappointed as they are only offered in nylon bias-ply.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=159 if you need tires already mounted on rims.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=163 for tires alone.

Many tire stores and auto repairs shops carry (or can get) Carlisle tires. I've got a pair on our boat trailer and they've held up well for the 5 years we've had the boat. They're not the USA Trail tires however.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #12

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
Hey tweety

I just put 4 new tires on my 264sr in august, I got Goodyear Maratons 225/15 st D load range tires 99.00 bucks each from Express care in sinking springs, My friend owns the shop let my know if your interested and I will hook you up with him, the tread on my mission tires that came with the trailer was still like new but the side walls were starting to crack , so I replaced them and so far I am very happy with them, I had him balance them when he mounted them let my know Dan
Old 09-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #13

SUN #128
Tweety
Thanks for the offer Dan, but CJ's already ordered them for us Same price as you got, but we need the 205s. Soooo, sounds like you got a good deal. I read on the Airstream forum (Airstream uses Marathons) that Marathons are being made in the US again. We'll see.