Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #1

SUN #114
pamwinn
HELP. WE can't unlock the door.

I locked the trailer door and we drove away from the dealer in our new 2363. We stopped at a rest area and I wanted to look inside and I couldn't unlock it. When we got home, my husband removed the inside lock panel but we still could not get it out. It's like the deadbolt is superglued in the hole. Only way we could get it out would damage the door.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 AM   #2

SUN #115
emam
One of our doors sticks eery now and then. I filed the catch a little so it wouldnt fit so tightly. If you can get it open, put a little lube on it. Make sure the Coach is level. One time we were sitting a little crooked and both doors would barely open.

Good luck. Hopefully you wont have to damage anything to get it open.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 AM   #3

SUN #132
Makers Mark
This sounds stupid, but the day I picked up my 2363, we stopped for supplies and I could not get into the Coach. I didn't realize the doors were not keyed alike. Well I never said I was the sharpest tack on the wall!!
MM
2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #4

SUN #114
pamwinn
Yes, and I know people are going to think that about me...but, the keys to the backdoor are still in the owners manual. The only keys I have taken out are the keys to the front door. We locked the backdoor from the inside. Though I have checked to make sure about 500 times anyway.

We have leveled the trailer and the door lock mechanism still will not come out. My husband has gone to get a new bolt for the equalizer. I didn;t describe that drama but the hitch needed to be raised a notch and at the dealership we discovered that when Butler RV put it on, the must have used a hammer on it and then misthreaded it. We were stuck in AL after hours and had to use a bolt the dealership gave us which was too short. The nut only caught a few threads. That led to the stop at the rest area to make sure everything was okay and the desire to look in the trailer again led to the discovery of the messed up lock.

I knew the doors were keyed differently from the get go as I had read about it on this or some other RV forum and thought it was odd that they do that. We planned to eventually get new locks because I don't like the way they operate in the first place.

Eventually, we will replace all locks on the entire trailer and hopefully will be able to have them all keyed the same.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Pam,

This doesn't sound good. The last thing you want to do is damage the fiberglass because the striping can't be replaced. I don't think the lockset itself can be removed with the deadbolt extended. I'd say your best bet is to try spraying some WD-40 near the deadbolt assembly and in the key holes, in hopes that will free it. Other than that, you could remove the whole door by unscrewing all the screws along the outside frame.

You said your DH removed the inside part of the lockset, right? First of all, how did he get in? If he did remove it, did he try moving the deadbolt latch or main handle from the inside? If both those things move, then the latches are definetely moving and something else is holding the door.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #6

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a slightly different problem in that the key was jammed in the deadbolt. However, you said you had the inside lock cover off, check the plate that covers the deadbolt, some of them (Jon's was riveted, mine was not) have four screws that hold that cover on. If you have the screw type, removing that cover will let you access the deadbolt directly. Also, I was able to turn mine out by removing the red operating lever on the inside and gently turning the post with a pair of pliers. That seemed to give it just enough leverage to move the bolt. Hope this helps.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #7

SUN #123
Mack,

Mine wasn't riveted. Sorry if I didn't clarify that. I forgot at the moment when I wrote that that some of the plates were riveted on. I was getting at trying the little red lever inside.

Thanks for clarifying,
Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 07-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #8

SUN #114
pamwinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Pam,

First of all, how did he get in? If he did remove it, did he try moving the deadbolt latch or main handle from the inside?
Jon
My husband took the other set of keys from the manual. I am trying to get people past the supposition that we are using the incorrect key because that is not the case.

THe main handle works from both sides. The key for the deadbot only goes in about half way. There is nothing wrong with the key as it will lock/unlock the main handle. The red inside deadbolt lock does not work. We removed it and tried pliers...same result. We will drill a thousand holes in the lock mechanism before we will mess up the door or it's stripping.

This is such a bummer...going back out to try more stuff.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #9

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HELP. WE can't unlock the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamwinn
I locked the trailer door and we drove away from the dealer in our new 2363. We stopped at a rest area and I wanted to look inside and I couldn't unlock it. When we got home, my husband removed the inside lock panel but we still could not get it out. It's like the deadbolt is superglued in the hole. Only way we could get it out would damage the door.
It sounds like the door frame and the door are slightly at odds with each other. In a perfect world, the deadbolt would slide cleanly into the exact center of its opening in the door frame.

If you can somehow get some leverage at the base of the door right at the edge straight below the lockset, you should be able to raise the door about a millimeter straight up in relation to the door frame. That should be enough to operate the deadbolt and open the door.

If that does not work, try the same thing from the top of the door, pressing the door down about a millimeter in relation to the door frame.

I would caution you not to use anything that would bend or otherwise mar any part of the door or door frame. If you use a pry bar or big screwdriver, cover it with a rag, and only use enough leverage to move the door, not bend any part of it.

Moving the door a teeny-tiny bit in relation to the door frame should give you enough clearance to open the deadbolt.

It is also possible that the door frame is grabbing the deadbolt laterally. Try pressing in on the door while trying to open the deadbolt. Again, if that does not work, try pushing out on the door.

The flexing motion of the trailer while being towed may have actually rubbed a tiny notch in the deadbolt so deflecting the door in all four directions should find you a looser fit that will let you open the deadbolt. It may take several gentle trys in all four directions to get it but it should come out.

(Moving the door left to right probably won't have any bearing on this problem.)

If you get it open, you can then either enlarge the slot in the door frame, or file down the deadbolt. Or not use the deadbolt at all.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #10

SUN #114
pamwinn
I gritted my teeth...got real hot and mad....picked up the pliers and grabbed the little shaft the red thing fits on...slid it in and out while turning counter clockwise and got it unlocked. God, what a nightmare. I don't know whether to put it back together and try it for camping or what. Is it fairly safe to drive down the highway with only the main handle locked.

Now I also understand why you can't remove it unless the door is open. The strikeplate is screwed into the mechanism. Wonder who thought that was a good idea?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #11

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I gritted my teeth...got real hot and mad....picked up the pliers and grabbed the little shaft the red thing fits on...slid it in and out while turning counter clockwise and got it unlocked. God, what a nightmare. I don't know whether to put it back together and try it for camping or what. Is it fairly safe to drive down the highway with only the main handle locked.

Now I also understand why you can't remove it unless the door is open. The strikeplate is screwed into the mechanism. Wonder who thought that was a good idea?
FWIW, we rarely use the deadbolt except when we are in the trailer and want some extra security for ourselves.

I lock the other lock (not the deadbolt) when travelling. It seems less prone to problems such as you just had. I think if you verify that the door is latched, you'll be fine.

Congrats on getting it open without damaging the door.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #12

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pam, doesn't sound like you remembered the gently part!

Anyhow, I don't remember the shaft "sliding in and out" when I turned mine with the pliers. Maybe there is a spacer or something missing that keeps the shaft in place?

We have always traveled with both locks locked, but I think the door lock would be OK, I've heard people saying they never use the deadbolt. We also put our railing across the door (it can be folded against the trailer or the door) while traveling as an extra hold on the door.

Sorry, if you thought I was thinking you had the wrong key, I was the one that did that, our keys are so close that they would turn the front deadbolt, but wouldn't turn it back!!!

Well have to get ready, headed to Luray, Va for the weekend!!!

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #13

SUN #114
pamwinn
Have fun Mac. It's only natural that the first thing a person would think is they have a new 2 door trailer and they are using the wrong key. I think several people were thinking that and I just wanted to clarify that it wasn't the case. The shaft just barely slides in an out. You'd need a micrometer to measure it.

I thought it myself at the rest stop, knowing good and well that at that point, the back door keys were still in the manual and the keys I locked the door with were in my pocket.

Now were are a go and will be leaving sunday for a week of fun in the Pidgeon Forge/ Gatlinburg area. We even managed to snag 2 side by side riverfront spaces. Maybe my luck is changing.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #14

SUN #132
Makers Mark
This is also is weird about the deadbolt, but I swear I have locked the deadbolt with the wrong key. The key would lock it, but would not return in the vertical position to allow the key to come out. I too had to get mad and force the wrong key out, then it allowed me to use the right key to open the dead bolt.

I also had some issues with the storage doors and have had to "manipulate" the channel slot that accept the locking bars.

I do hope that this issue is the biggest problem you ever have with your new coach.

Regards,
MM
2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #15

SUN #123
Quote:
My husband took the other set of keys from the manual. I am trying to get people past the supposition that we are using the incorrect key because that is not the case.
OK, I figured the owners manual was locked inside the trailer, so you couldn't get to the second set of keys. I'm glad you got the door open.

As for locking only the handle, I'd say it's fine. I am lock crazy and always lock everything I see, but I think a lot of people don't even lock the trailer when they travel. Whenever I take a trailer on the road, all shades/blinds are closed and entry/storage doors are locked. But, many people don't do anything like that. I see a lot of trailers go down the road with all shades up so people can see in, plus the sun can beat in and heat the interior up. I wouldn't be surprised if the doors were all unlocked too.

BTW, the one thing I never lock are the LP tanks. I just want to say this because I've seen/bought trailers that have had the tanks locked down with cable locks. Over the past few years, I've seen two RV's (a TT and FW) on the side of I-75 that have caught on fire. One of the first things firefighters do is remove the LP tanks (if they can), since they could explode if exposed to heat. Fire damage can be very harmful to an RV, but there's a good chance you can repair the unit from a fire. If a propane tank explodes too, the whole unit is toast.

Jon
Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #16

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Pam,

Glade you got the door open. I’ve been following your thread, but didn’t have any pertinent advice to offer.

I agree with others that driving using on the door lock (not the dead bolt) is fine.

Some ideas to help trouble shoot the cause of the problem, with the door OPEN , you may want to see if the dead bold moves freely with the inside red handle. This will help narrow it down to if it’s the lock mechanism or the door sill. If the dead bolt lock moves freely with the door open, it sounds like the door may be misaligned with the door frame (as Steve indicated earlier). To correct this you could move the dead bolt flange on the door frame or increase the size of the hole in the area that the dead blot is binding up on.

If it’s the mechanism, you may want to try and contact the manufacture of the door lock to see if you can get it replace. Is there a manufacturer name stamped anyplace on the mechanism?
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #17

SUN #196
tinybluetj
My door lock does this every once in a whil. I just keep trying. It does make it look like you are trying to break into the trailer, however!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #18

SUN #114
pamwinn
The manufacturers name and an 800 number are stamped on the mechanism under the inside faceplate. Does anyone know where you can get some doorlocks that are more like the ones on a house? It is very important to me to have a nice decent mechanism there.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #19

SUN #328
bugbite
Dear Pam,

>>Now were are a go and will be leaving sunday for a week of fun in the Pidgeon Forge/ Gatlinburg area. We even managed to snag 2 side by side riverfront spaces. Maybe my luck is changing. <<

Yes, your luck is changing!

Have a blast! To think... this is your last class! Congratulations... long haul especially when you are teaching too. Charted out how you are getting from Sevierville to Maryville? Not really a straight route to go.

When I lived in Pigeon Forge I took Wear's Valley to above Maryville.

Yep you are correct on slim "real estate" campgrounds down there. A real tourist trap and every square inch premium.

Yes, trust me, Sevier County folks are gossips. Try teaching there when you are single! LOL! Big time Bible Belt Baptists. Have some stories but that is when we meet someday.

Oh all I got was we'll talk about it when I get home. Did manage to get a brochure.

Liked them but like everyone the idea of having an island bed may be on his gotta' have list? Really liked the model too heavy for us. Said it had 3 distinct rooms.

He was very impressed seeing the quality close up. Yall's reviews are just right!

Congrats to you Pam, and also our buddy GreenWillow for your fine purchases. Do enjoy!

Best,

BB
Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #20

SUN #114
pamwinn
We are going to Ripplin' Water. I hope it is okay. The only bad review said even though it is very clean, the owners are gossips. I don't plan to spend much more than check-in time talking to the owners and very clean sounds good. I know the spaces are small but we are going with friends so we will have 2 spaces anyway. I haven't seen any big spaces in that entire area. It's in Sieverville. I am calculating about a 30 minute drive from our campsite to my class in Maryville. I think it will be pretty similar timewise to my drive from Townsend.

This will be my 18th trip to the area since last July about this time.