Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-28-2022, 04:00 AM   #1

SUN #13444
Actionpie42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help identifying furnace

Hi there!
Im new on the site and was hoping to come across some advise on telling exactly which attwood furnace is installed in my camper. I have been looking on the black cover plate and I'm pretty sure the sticker that has all the relevant information seems to be totally worn so I can't tell what it said. I'll try attach an image of it anyway. For what it's worth I'm pretty sure it's an 8525 because it says it's input is 25k btu worth of propane but I don't know if it's 8525 ii or iii or iv. Other things I noticed about it are that both fans are metal whereas it seems some of them use plastic circulation fans. I don't know if that helps but I hope so. I'm looking to replace the motor and need to figure out which motor goes with my furnace and or if the motor for an 8525 iv will work in an 8525 ii or iii like I think I have. Thanks for any response in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220926_182132.jpg (87.0 KB, 11 views)

Old 09-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Actionpie42,

Welcome!

The one pic is a starter, but if you can show the whole left to right of the furnace helps.

Your furnace is "old". Atwood Mobile bought out the Hydroflame furnace line around 1993. From the approx 93 era and forward, an Atwood Mobile sticker would be on the furnaces. I'm not sure how old your is, but it is before 1993 at least. And sadly. Atwood Mobile sold out to Dometic in 2014. Getting parts for the older furnaces is getting harder all the time. Some aftermarket companies are picking up some of the discontinued parts.

I zoomed in on your sticker, just under the Hydroflame wording it states that this furnace is an 8525-II. It is an 8500 series with the gas jet for 25,000 BTU output.

See here

The 8525-III or 8525-IV are newer then yours. I am not sure when they converted from the metal fan to the plastic fans. And then there is revisions within the series. The Rev III has some level of plastic fans. I'm not sure on the real early ones but on the later ones there may be some. The Rev IV are for sure all plastic fans.

From what I know, the 8525-I and II rev's have different motors then the 8525-III & IV

I'm not totally sure this is the motor you are after, but it the start of a leed.

On Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/MC-Enterprise.../dp/B0064DQBEQ

Boat & RV Accessories
https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com...or-replacement

PDX Wholesale
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...-and-wheel-kit

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...-motor-30130mc

I have bought off of Amazon & Boat & RV with positive experiences. I have never bought from PDX. Make very sure you request the right part from them. I'm not sure they do returns well. But, PDX has some really good tech manuals and cross reference lists. Make sure you check all before ordering.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #3

SUN #13444
John that's probably the single most information dense clear and helpful reply I've ever had in all my visits to various forums thank you very much!

First off after looking again I'm upset with myself for missing the model number where it was after allso thanks for pointing that out that helps a lot with locating the correct motor from the start. Another thing that I could have included in my first post was the fact this sunline is an 89 which is in fact pretty old. But I didn't actually know about atwood buying hydroflame I only knew about the domestic buyout in my reserach. It seems like there's another manufacturer making a replacement that says it fits with a different part number specified for the 8525 ii but it's right around the same price as the exact part so I believe you pointed me the right way. Did have some trouble today getting the combustion fan off but thats finished and all thats left is to order parts wait and then reassemble.

Thanks again so much!
Old 09-28-2022, 06:37 PM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionpie42 View Post
John that's probably the single most information dense clear and helpful reply I've ever had in all my visits to various forums thank you very much!
Hi Actionpie42,

You are very welcome and thank you! Wow, I'm humbled.

We have a good group of helpful folks here on the Sunline forum. Each brings a lot to the table.

As long as you can keep feeding us with info, we can/will keep helping you as needed. And you already figured out how to post a pic. Pictures in the cases go a real long way helping to explain things. We can see what you are up against and maybe see something else going on. And there are no dumb questions, just ones you need help with.

No worries on missing the model number. It happens, the model number is normally on a small tag like yours has that is all faded out. When I zoomed in on your pic, to my surprise, there it is in the main text.

The amazing thing, your 89 Sunline furnace is not a whole lot different in the basic operation as the last 2007 model Sunlines. Yes, the controls system has evolved, and some motors etc, but the basic way they work is very close to the same. Most all my work on these is with the more newer Sunlines, and they are even 20 to 25 some years old.

Good luck on your part search and let us know how this comes out. Your post helps others coming behind you.

Thanks

John

Old 09-28-2022, 08:11 PM   #5

SUN #13444
Of course. I thanks again. It'll be at least a couple weeks I predict before I come back with updates but there's more then one project I'm working on for the moment so I'll be here at the next hangup for sure.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:35 PM   #6

SUN #89
OK, good deal. We are here whenever you get to it.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:14 PM   #7

SUN #13444
Update

I'm back.

It took some waiting but I got a motor in from an rv parts store that was for the 8525 ii I have and put everything back together just as it was. when I tried to start it up it actually did come right to life and ignite properly and produce heat but after 30 seconds or maybe more a white switch I believe is supposed to be a breaker switch popped out on the left side of the fan cover. This shut the system down fully. When I pressed it back on it came back on immediately but only for a few more seconds before the fan slowed down sped back up slowed down one more time and then the system again shut off at the same switch. The burner seemed to have stayed on the whole time the fan sped and slowed for whatever reason. That's about as much detail as I think of right now anyway. I'm glad it all started but I'm more confused then before. Thanks for any help
Old 10-13-2022, 10:20 PM   #8

SUN #89
Hi Actionpie,

Congrats on getting the blower motor! That is a good first step. And the furnace fires off and blows heat! Another good second step.

BUT, there is always one of them.... it seems you trip the circuit breaker and the system dies totally. Yes, if that breaker trips, the furnace will die.

This sort of points to, maybe 3 issues.

1. There is a binding of sorts in the blower blades causing excess drag or something else binding up the motor. The motor turns too hard from the drag, and that creates more amps needed and trips the circuit breaker. With the power and LP gas off, you may have to pull the gas burner out, take the cover off the outside blower and spin it by hand that it turns real easy. If there is a rub or drag, back into what is causing the bind up. It should spin real free and whiz with you hand.

2. You have a weak circuit breaker. They do go bad and yours is old. If you have a DC amp meter you can measure the current the motor is pulling and see if it is real close to the size of the circuit breaker. Is there a number in the top of the white button? like a 15 or other number? That could be a 15 amp rated breaker. If the current the motor is measured at using is lower then the 15 amps rating, it should not trip. The breaker could be bad.

3. The new motor you got pulls more current then the circuit breaker is sized for. By chance is there a sticker on the side of the motor that states the power requirements? Is so post the sticker and post the what the white circuit breaker looks like with any kind of numbers on the side or top of it.

Consider the 3 above a place to start.

Hope this helps

John

Old 10-13-2022, 10:43 PM   #9

SUN #89
Here is another place to start, the service manual. When logged in, down load a copy. This has all the furnaces so you have to look for 8525-II https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/d...o=file&id=5631

On page 53, the 8525-II uses a 7 amp breaker. Does yours have a 7 on the top of the white circuit breaker?

Need to find out what amperage the new motor is made to pull when it runs. The 25,000 BTU model furnace like yours, uses a smaller amperage motor sized to work with a 7 amp breaker. The 31,000 btu (10 amp) and the 35,000 btu (15 amp) furnaces pull more power. But your 25K furnace pulls more current then the 20,000 btu furnace at a 5 amp breaker.

Point, if they gave you a motor that fits, but pulls more current, then there is a motor to circuit breaker sizing issue and maybe a timing relay contact rating issue

Also, look at the sticker on the old motor and what amps does it draw?

Hope this helps

John