Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #1

SUN #10752
kosibar is an unknown quantity at this point
Help fixing water damage.

My front window leaked. I fixed the leak but during a camping trip my elbow bumped the wall and it fell apart. (Oops!) I've torn it apart and a couple pieces of the frame are so rotten that they fell right out. I can handle that repair. It looks pretty simple for the most part.

Just one thing I can't figure out. How do I get that plastic bead around the seams out?

This stuff:

(This is from the ceiling over the stove but the same thing is in all of the joints including the walls where I'm working.)

The paneling on the front wall just pulled out from under it. Is it stapled under the paneling on the side walls?

I don't know what model it is or how to find the model number. It's a 1977.

I appreciate any help!

Old 07-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome! You have a 1977 12 1/2' MC!

Unfortunately with a trailer, when you see a leak, the damage is almost always much worse than it appears. By the time you see it, the water has caused a lot of unseen damage in the walls.

Yes, the rubber trim is stapled to the edges of the cabinets before they are screwed in. This helps hide the rough edge. The cabinet and ceiling panel you photographed looks newer than 1977 though- do you have any other pictures? I'm wondering if someone had the trailer rebuilt with newer Sunline cabinets, possibly in the early/mid '90s.

It looks like I spy some water damage in the bottom of the entry door too. Luckily these can be rebuilt with a little work, it would actually be more work to retrofit a new door in.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosibar View Post
My front window leaked. I fixed the leak but during a camping trip my elbow bumped the wall and it fell apart. (Oops!) I've torn it apart and a couple pieces of the frame are so rotten that they fell right out. I can handle that repair. It looks pretty simple for the most part.

Just one thing I can't figure out. How do I get that plastic bead around the seams out?

This stuff:

(This is from the ceiling over the stove but the same thing is in all of the joints including the walls where I'm working.)

The paneling on the front wall just pulled out from under it. Is it stapled under the paneling on the side walls?
Hi and Welcome to Sunline Owners Club.

It sounds like you are into your repair, are you taking the camper apart from the inside or the outside?

I most all cases I have found if you have a large water leak (you do or did) taking the camper apart from the outside makes the repair easier and does not damage the inside as much. And this method creates a more complete repair as you can then see how far the water damage has spread and address that too.

The cabinets are screwed in from the outside. This is how they built them. The siding went on last. Again a reason to open up the camper from the outside as all those screws will show up then. That welt bead molding you are showing is stapled to the cabinet before installing it. You really cannot change it (at least very easy anyway). Even if you can get it out, it will be damaged and the staples stuck behind the cabinet. If you want to replace it, taking the cabinet down, replacing and then putting it back up is the cleanest looking when done. If you do not want to pull the cabinet, then maybe find a piece of wood corner molding and put it up from the inside. You can cut the welt bead off with a drywall knife to make a square corner for the molding to insert and nail in place. Paint or stain to your liking.

If you want to see what is all involved in taking the front apart to repair the front wall, see this post. Your camper has a metal roof and this one a rubber roof, but the walls are built very similar. I just finished this front wall but have not had time to get all the rest of the pics loaded up yet. But you can ask any an all questions if that helps. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...2-a-18706.html

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #4

SUN #10752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi and Welcome to Sunline Owners Club.
Thanks! I met someone at Moffitt Beach last week as I was checking in who told me about this site so as soon as I got home I signed up.

Quote:
It sounds like you are into your repair, are you taking the camper apart from the inside or the outside?
The cabinets are screwed in from the outside. This is how they built them. The siding went on last.
I have already started and actually don't care to take the cabinets apart. I apologize for not being clear about about that. You can't see that welt bead very well in a picture of the corner against the front wall. It's the same stuff all around the camper so I just used that picture by the cabinet to show what I was talking about.

Quote:
If you want to see what is all involved in taking the front apart to repair the front wall, see this post.
I did tear it apart from the inside. Actually, I rolled over in bed one night and my elbow went right through the paneling, so there wasn't much "tearing" involved. I've torn out most of the front piece of paneling to see what damage was behind it. Most of the wood is like brand new except for the part around the side of the window where the leak was. That's totally destroyed.

Just to the right of the picture the wood is like new. I figured I'll pull that out and use it to set width on the saw to rip the replacement pieces.

I do like the idea of taking the outside metal panels off. The cover over the screws is pretty dry and fairly brittle. Do you know where I could find new to replace it with? I've already had to seal cracks in it so it should be replaced anyway.

I know the sources for restoring antique cars but antique campers are a whole new world for me. Other than common sense repairs I don't really know what I'm doing. I really do appreciate your help!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

SUN #10752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
It looks like I spy some water damage in the bottom of the entry door too. Luckily these can be rebuilt with a little work, it would actually be more work to retrofit a new door in.
This camper was given to me. Before I got it, the window on the door was broken and the metal strip on the bottom had fallen off and collected a bunch of wet junk that it held up against the bottom of the door. I made some minor "good enough for now" repairs to the door but plan to fix it better later.

You're pretty observant with these things!
Old 08-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
I do like the idea of taking the outside metal panels off. The cover over the screws is pretty dry and fairly brittle. Do you know where I could find new to replace it with? I've already had to seal cracks in it so it should be replaced anyway.

I know the sources for restoring antique cars but antique campers are a whole new world for me. Other than common sense repairs I don't really know what I'm doing. I really do appreciate your help!
Oh the screw cover, they sell that in many places. There are a few brands and it is not that expensive.

Half the battle of finding parts is what they call it.... Look for "Vinyl Trim Insert" And adding RV in there can help too.

Here is just one such hit on it. I have bought this from Amazon with acceptable results.

There is however a few sizes and thickness if it. Make sure you get the correct size. The Camco tends to run thicker than other brands.

The 1" wide https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Vinyl-I.../dp/B0006JLW5M

The 3/4 " wide. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25262-V...104HJWR2PSJWZQ

The J & R brand is thinner. I have bought this too.
JR Products :: Catalog

I bought the J & R from RV Upgrades. I have used these folks and have had positive experiences.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...yl+trim+insert

They also sell the trim insert at most any brand RV dealer. It is not a Sunline or any other camper brand specific part.

While you are on the hunt for things, if you cannot find something, just ask. Same goes for how to take something apart or fix or most anything else for that matter.

Your front wall is for sure wet, or was wet. The corner boards are bad, they are not so hard to correct with the siding off but are with the siding on. The siding is stapled to the corner to hold it on. If you do not take the siding off you will need to be creative on my to reattach it.

If you plan to keep the camper a while, consider treating all was water stained wood that is still solid with Rot Dr. CPES. This will kill any dry rot fungus to not come back and can stiffen up some lightly rotted wall board. https://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html

You have to use a respirator with that product. They sell the correct one made by Moldex at not that bad a price. I use this on all my water damage repairs.

Your doing great, keep up the good work.

John

Old 08-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

SUN #10752
Quote:
If you plan to keep the camper a while, consider treating all was water stained wood that is still solid with Rot Dr. CPES. This will kill any dry rot fungus to not come back and can stiffen up some lightly rotted wall board.
I do hope to keep it a while. I'm the type who prefers something that's been fixed to something new anyway. There's something about using a thing where you've had your hands on every part of it that you just don't experience with a new product.

Thank you for all of the information. Not only did you answer my questions but you pointed my in the right direction to answering others I've thought of since!

You were right when you said that half the battle of finding parts is knowing what they're called. My area of expertise is in graphic design. Maybe (if I start to feel enough like I know what I'm talking about) I'll try to make up an image that points out what various parts are called. Sort of like those parts diagrams you see in small engines catalogs. That is, if I don't find one that somebody else has done. And if I can find good enough diagrams that are free to use.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
You were right when you said that half the battle of finding parts is knowing what they're called. My area of expertise is in graphic design. Maybe (if I start to feel enough like I know what I'm talking about) I'll try to make up an image that points out what various parts are called. Sort of like those parts diagrams you see in small engines catalogs. That is, if I don't find one that somebody else has done. And if I can find good enough diagrams that are free to use.
That would be a great asset to the forum. I have not seen one of them, yet.

What does/can help is to go to a RV dealer that has parts catalogs. Many give them away for free. Even if they are a year or 2 old does not matter. They seem to be somewhat the same between dealers but with their name on it. I think it is a generic RV parts catalog for customers. Many of those parts need to be ordered but they can get them and then sell them to you... Point is, you can flip through the catalog and read what the RV industry calls things. Then start searching. On the web now a days you can find most anything in your camper if it was manufactured by someone other than Sunline. The RV parts industry is alive and well... Sunline really did not manufacture a lot of the parts, they bought them and assembled the camper. Yes they made cabinets and things but not commercial items.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #9

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
JohnB is right about it being easier to replace the damaged framing with the outer siding OFF. I've had to do this myself. Took my time and got it right. Lots of pictures will help you put it all back correctly... helped me a lot!

I used pressure treated one-by-4's and a table saw to rip the new wood down to the correct thickness and widths for each replaced piece. Joining the butt-joints was made easier using mending plates (galvanized) and stainless or outdoor-rated decking screws... Gorilla Glue... you'll want to replace the window seals and use butyl tape for the best weather-proofing.

Good Luck sir!

5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote