Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

SUN #4931
rough t170 is an unknown quantity at this point
hello

hi all i want to start by saying thanks for all the info i have read so far.
I have a T-170 1990 or 91 i thought i was getting a good deal but i should have taken my ladder with me anyways looked good on the surface but closer look it has been leaking almost from every orifice for at least 2 years. I know i have the skill and the tools im not sure on the time and materials, or if its worth it.
i cant make up my mind i dont want to endanger my fam i know there is mold under everything but im wary of putting in the time and $.
Any advice, opinion, help would be great if i do undertake this project i will be sure to post pics thanks for your time take care all

Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Rough,

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club!

Sorry to hear about your camper. Bummer. The good news is, everything in the camper is fixable and or repairable if you choose to go that route. If you can do the work yourself, wood working skills with tools, then this kind of repair is tolerable.

Don't know how bad bad is. Do you have any idea if the appliances work?

We have some folks on the forum that have done extensive rebuilds and 1 that did a total build from the ground up. They may be able to give you a handle on the cost.

Time, this one is harder pending how bad off it is and how much time you have before you want to use it.

If you can tell us what areas are bad or some pics, we may be able to help more on what to expect short of gutting the camper which is an option too.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Was this the one in Belleville a couple weeks ago?
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

SUN #4931
no propane to check fridge and stove but all elec. is good w/h has to have several holes in it there are rust marks all around the paper over the ins. and i havent tried to hook up the water yet in case it freezes again. floor in the middle is solid but all 4 corners are gone when i get it open ill take pics. im thinking about resin inj. for that worked on a boat i had but it depends how far the rot goes. time line is flexible but i do avg 50+ hrs/wk at work i would like to use it this fall but not unless it safe. if i were to go through with a complete custom rebuild any idea what would it be worth if it ends up not being for me? and yes it is that one why do you ask?

thanks for your time and info
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

SUN #123
I was just curious because I had seen it on Craigslist. I'm pretty local to you and am on the Detroit and Ann Arbor Craigslists regularly.

If you redid all the wood, flooring, etc. and everything appliance wise checks out, I'm thinking no more than $2500. That's pretty much a standard list price for trailers over 20 years old that don't have rot issues, and of course it goes down from there depending on damage/broken items.

Material wise, it shouldn't cost you much to repair. It'll just take a lot of time and work. People generally don't resell trailers after they've done work on them to make a profit. It's something you usually want to do and try to get some use out of it.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

SUN #4931
thanks for the info.

the reason i ask about its value is I have been camping many times when i was younger my wife has never been and if she doesnt like it then what do i do. im not looking to make a profit just dont want to spend the time if we are not going to use it. i got it thinking we could use it with just a good cleaning and new cushions but not so thats why im lost on what direction to take
we do have plans to use another camper before we start but its a 30' with slide out kinda unfair example of a 17' lol

what is the size of the wood used for the framing is it just 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 like at home depot or is it time to get a table saw

we were thinking about changing the floor plan a little also on the road side if any of the plumbing is burst its all coming out the fridge furnace and b/r would get removed which would make the repair a little easier maybe a bench seat over the wheel well or some thing to cover the ugly there being 6'1" it feels a little on the tight side

thanks again for your time and interest i hope i can do the same in return

p.s. sunline fan it looked good in the pics didnt it
Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #7

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough t170 View Post
thanks for the info.

the reason i ask about its value is I have been camping many times when i was younger my wife has never been and if she doesnt like it then what do i do. im not looking to make a profit just dont want to spend the time if we are not going to use it. i got it thinking we could use it with just a good cleaning and new cushions but not so thats why im lost on what direction to take
we do have plans to use another camper before we start but its a 30' with slide out kinda unfair example of a 17' lol

what is the size of the wood used for the framing is it just 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 like at home depot or is it time to get a table saw

we were thinking about changing the floor plan a little also on the road side if any of the plumbing is burst its all coming out the fridge furnace and b/r would get removed which would make the repair a little easier maybe a bench seat over the wheel well or some thing to cover the ugly there being 6'1" it feels a little on the tight side

thanks again for your time and interest i hope i can do the same in return

p.s. sunline fan it looked good in the pics didnt it
It sure did look pretty good, but I noticed that the pics were pretty forward facing and didn't really look up or down- a typical sign that a problem might exist.

If you think you'll have it all fixed up by June, you should join the group out in Hillsdale for the meet!

Studs I think are a little smaller. I think it's basically a 2x4 with some shaved off the 4" part, maybe an inch.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #8

SUN #4931
ok like a 2x3 that shouldnt be a prob then it looked good to me but like i said i should have taken my ladder it pulled good i need to get a sway set up before i take it far but you know how the rds around here are it wont be ready till late fall if i put all my spare time into it and that is slim for the summer time which is a catch 22 have lots of time in the winter but no place to put it inside lol