Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Good Grief! My AC Doesn't Work

Just running in from cleaning my trailer and my AC doesn't work. My friend installed a new thermostat last Fall and I put new batteries in. I unplug from shore power and lights and fan worked. Appears the furnace works although it blew for awhile, (not hot air) and then stopped.

Could it be fuses? I checked the black fuse box and it has small green indicator lights. It appears that the "overload" light is on? I pressed then "BT Check" and the rest of the lights came on for a sec.

Geez I haven't a clue! I have never used it, bad wiring, fuses, thermostat?
Me as a newbie? So frustrating!

Ok running back out to continue cleaning but will check back, thank you!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #2

SUN #1546
Not an Overload

I took some pics I will post after I mow my lawn....However its not an overload, it was just the way the light was hitting the little green indicator light.

The AC doesn't appear to have a fuse but on its own 20 amp circuit breaker which I reset. The furnace however does have a separate 15 amp fuse but the furnace seems to be working?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #3

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
If I understood what you said correctly:

Quote:
I unplug from shore power and lights and fan worked.
Your A/C will only work when you are plugged into shore power. The A/C, microwave, and electric water heater element are all 120v and require shore power or a generator.

Quote:
Appears the furnace works although it blew for awhile, (not hot air) and then stopped.
Your furnace runs on 12v power, but requires propane to heat. If you turn on the furnace and don't have propane on. The furnace will run for a short time then shutdown because the flame doesn't ignite. It helps to light the stove and clear the air out of the propane line when it hasn't been used in a while.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #4

SUN #1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACK C-85 View Post
If I understood what you said correctly:

Your A/C will only work when you are plugged into shore power. The A/C, microwave, and electric water heater element are all 120v and require shore power or a generator.

Your furnace runs on 12v power, but requires propane to heat. If you turn on the furnace and don't have propane on. The furnace will run for a short time then shutdown because the flame doesn't ignite. It helps to light the stove and clear the air out of the propane line when it hasn't been used in a while.

Mack
No I had it plugged in to shore power but unplugged it to see if it may a converter problem

I turned the propane on. On my T-1950 there is a red switch located on the frt of trailer by the tanks where you can turn the propane on or off

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #5

SUN #64
Quote:
No I had it plugged in to shore power but unplugged it to see if it may a converter problem
Ok, a couple of thoughts to trouble shoot:
1. Does the A/C do anything when you turn it on? Humm, Fan come on no cooling , etc.
2. Did it work last fall after the new thermostat was installed?
3. Are the new batteries in the thermostat installed correctly? It's really easy to put the batteries in backwards (wrong polarity).

Quote:
I turned the propane on. On my T-1950 there is a red switch located on the frt of trailer by the tanks where you can turn the propane on or off
Are you sure the "red switch" is for propane?? I have a red switch on the front cross member near my propane tanks that is a 12v power disconnect.

If it is a remote propane switch, check to make sure the actual tank valves are open, the manual tank valves still have to be on.

Mack

Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #6

SUN #64
One other thought, make sure you actually have shore power, i.e the breaker in the house isn't tripped. The A/C requires 20 amps to start and if you are plugged into a regular household recepticle it is probably only 15 amps. It may have tripped when you tried to start the A/C. Remember your lights in the trailer are 12v and will work off the battery even if the shoreline is dead.

Mack

Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

SUN #1546
Quote:
Ok, a couple of thoughts to trouble shoot:
1. Does the A/C do anything when you turn it on? Humm, Fan come on no cooling , etc.
3. Are the new batteries in the thermostat installed correctly? It's really easy to put the batteries in backwards (wrong polarity).

Are you sure the "red switch" is for propane?? I have a red switch on the front cross member near my propane tanks that is a 12v power disconnect.

If it is a remote propane switch, check to make sure the actual tank valves are open, the manual tank valves still have to be on.

Mack
1. Nothing
2. Don't remember. It was late Fall and cold so probably didn't turn it on
3. Yes

Ok NOW I remember the red switch IS for 12v power disconnect...duh!

I am so ignorant about how this thing works I am afraid to mess with the propane. I am afraid I will blow myself up! Do you need propane to run the AC?

The plan was to take it in to be de-winterized and have them check to make sure everything was working properly and safe

I used to know "stuff" about RVs but promptly forgot most of it when I put purchasing on the shelf cause I could not sell my house to RV full time

However I do know its not good to let the "stuff" in RVs sit...maybe its just broke from sitting to long

I have had her 2 years and just made plans for my maiden voyage. All I have done so far is put money into her

Before I purchased her I don't think she got much use either, she was super clean

Thanks for all your help!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #8

SUN #1546
Quote:
One other thought, make sure you actually have shore power, i.e the breaker in the house isn't tripped. The A/C requires 20 amps to start and if you are plugged into a regular household recepticle it is probably only 15 amps. It may have tripped when you tried to start the A/C. Remember your lights in the trailer are 12v and will work off the battery even if the shoreline is dead.

Mack

Checked it. No circuits broken. And I turned on the Microwave in the RV, it worked *sigh*

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #9

SUN #64
Quote:
Ok NOW I remember the red switch IS for 12v power disconnect...duh!
That's OK we all have our duh moments!!! I was recovering a cap out of the bathroom sink trap (drain) and turned the water on. Not too smart when the drain pipe isn't connected!! Fortunately, there were towels on the shelf under there and minimized the mess!!!

Quote:
Checked it. No circuits broken. And I turned on the Microwave in the RV, it worked *sigh*
OK, so we now the power is there and you reset the A/C Breaker so we've probably got power to the A/C.

Quote:

1. Nothing

2. Don't remember. It was late Fall and cold so probably didn't turn it on
Now, with the A/C not trying to do anything, that it most likely wasn't run when the new thermostat was installed and a good chance there is power there, l think the problem is the thermostat. If the compressor or fan was bad it would be making some kind of noise and most likely tripping the breaker.

Quote:
I am so ignorant about how this thing works I am afraid to mess with the propane. I am afraid I will blow myself up! Do you need propane to run the AC?
No need for propane with A/C.

Actually the propane system is not that hard to work with.

1. Make sure the connections to the tank(s) are hand tight.
2. Open the valve(s) on the tank(s).
3. Put a couple of drops of dish soap in a cup of water (a small spray bottle works well) and spray or brush around the connectors. It will very obviously bubble if there is a leak.
4. Turn on the burners of your stove until they lite, stay lit, and burn evenly. This will purge the air out of the lines.
5. Turn on your furnace, set the thermostat up, and you should hear the fan kick on, then fairly quickly feel warm air. If it doesn't light, it will shut down after a few minutes. Just turn it off and back on. If it doesn't heat after three attempts, it needs service.
6. Using the water heater on gas, there is usually a small red light near the switch that will come on if it fails to light. Again turn it off and back on again.

It is not unusual to have to reset the appliances if they haven't been used or you change the bottles due to air in the lines. Running the stove until it burns evenly helps this a lot.

Quote:
The plan was to take it in to be de-winterized and have them check to make sure everything was working properly and safe
Not a bad idea if it's been sitting for a while. But don't give up on her yet, I'm sure JohnB, EMD DRIVER, and a few others will chime in here soon and fill in anything I might have missed!!

Oh yeah, and I just noticed you're in Michigan, Where are you SUNLINE FAN!!!

Mack

Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #10

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a dumb question, but on our 1950 - the A/C was NOT connected to the thermostat but worked from the unit itself.....where are you trying to turn it on from?

Somewhere mid-kitchen sink area on the ceiling, on the actual A/C unit - is the switch to turn it on....or are you trying to get it to run from the thermostat?????
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #11

SUN #93
perhaps this photo will help!

The A/C is that white "thingy" on the ceiling and that is where it gets turned on, made cooler,warmer and vents to point the air to where you want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg View from front to rear.JPG (32.7 KB, 8 views)
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #12

SUN #64
Quote:
This is a dumb question, but on our 1950 - the A/C was NOT connected to the thermostat but worked from the unit itself.....where are you trying to turn it on from?
Doah......our 276SR has a dual thermostat that controls heat and air!!! I never gave a thought that the a/c might not have a seperate thermostat.

Mack

Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #13

SUN #64
I just saw that your maiden voyage is going to be to the Midwest meet-n-greet. SUNLINE FAN, our resident SUNLINE expert is going to be there too.

If Jon can't answer your questions or show you how to work something I don't know who can..........

Mack

Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #14

SUN #93
Quote:
Doah......our 276SR has a dual thermostat that controls heat and air!!! I never gave a thought that the a/c might not have a seperate thermostat.

Mack
Mack.... I sat here trying to think what might be wrong and re-read the posts and then the thermostat statement hit me......aaahhhh no thermostat on the 1950 except for heat!

Hope this solves the problem for Joan!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 04-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Does your AC unit have 2 black knobs on it ? And vents on the end that sort of look like the vents in your car dash ? If I am thinking correctly, your 1950 does not have ducted AC, therefore it will not be controlled by the wall thermostat. The control knobs are on the unit itself. If we know which type of AC you have, we might be able to trouble shoot a bit more.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #16

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I just saw that your maiden voyage is going to be to the Midwest meet-n-greet. SUNLINE FAN, our resident SUNLINE expert is going to be there too.

If Jon can't answer your questions or show you how to work something I don't know who can..........

Mack
Now now, I'm not that good...

The M&G will be good, because we're about as far apart as it would be for you to drive up to Lancaster.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #17

SUN #1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
perhaps this photo will help!

The A/C is that white "thingy" on the ceiling and that is where it gets turned on, made cooler,warmer and vents to point the air to where you want it.
Yes that's it but I see no switch on it or by it to turn it on other than the knob controls themselves to turn the fan on and adjust the temp which I have already done and nothing?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #18

SUN #1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Mack.... I sat here trying to think what might be wrong and re-read the posts and then the thermostat statement hit me......aaahhhh no thermostat on the 1950 except for heat!

Hope this solves the problem for Joan!

Nope the first thing I did was turn it on from the unit itself, turn the fan on and nothing, nada, zilch. I was hoping that maybe the thermostat wasn't hooked up right but apparently.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC for Trailer.jpg (52.8 KB, 2 views)

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #19

SUN #1546
Yes that's it but I tried to turn it on from the unit itself and nothing

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #20

SUN #1546
A New Development!

I am sure I did this but I decided to trip the breaker on and off to the AC unit and how when I turn it on there is a very low hum, that's all....burn out motor?

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"

Tags
air conditioner, batteries, fuses, thermostat, wiring