Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #1

SUN #11156
AprilL is an unknown quantity at this point
Going Over the Roof

Yet another question....I'm putting pictures of the roof on so you can see what kind of roof I have. It's not rubber pretty sure. So anyway, I'm going to go over the roof and seal any cracks down to the tiniest crack. So my question is if you can tell from the pics what kind of roof do I have and what are your favorite sealers? I was thinking of doing a 2 hit by getting a spray and using that first and then a self leveling caulk. What do you think? The roof looks like it has been taken very good care of also. Let me know if the pictures didn't work. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190324_144636_Burst01.jpg (79.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20190324_144646.jpg (98.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20190324_144842.jpg (99.0 KB, 17 views)

Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
See if this helps,

That is for sure a metal roof. Aluminum material with seams at certain panel sections.

I have not done the seamed type of roof yet. But have done an all one piece aluminum roof on a Coachman TT.

I think Sunline Fan on the forum knows of a Heig's product to use on the seams. The seams joins each panel to make the roof longer and cover the whole roof. You paint it on the seams.

There is a product called Eternabond Roof Seal, it is a tape you can put over the seams. It is made in various widths that will work on the seams and bond to aluminum, however the cost is most likely more. For a 4" wide tape it comes tan or white.

See here https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=22533

https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341

Amazon also sells it if you have Prime the shipping may be cheaper.

You really do not have to coat the entire roof, the seams and any penetration for pipes , roof vents, screw holes etc. yes they need treatments.

On the caulking, do not use any silicone caulking on the roof. It is not the right product to last a long time. Dicor self leveling (501 series) roof sealant on horizontal surfaces or non leveling (551 series) on vertical surfaces will bond to aluminum well and is made to flex with the camper movement and not let go like silicone does.

I find it is cheaper here even with freight. It comes in different colors, https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...+self+leveling

For any of the sealants you use, the roof must be cleaned to get any dirt, grime, loose and crusty old sealants off first. The prep work is critical. If there are old bad sealants and some may have used silicone before, that should be removed first. It can be painful to get all that old stuff off but putting good caulk over a bad underlayment is not a long term solution. A heat gun can soften up some of the older bad caulk to make scraping it up easier.

Also, your roof is not a direct walk on roof in case you didn't know that. You need to use mangable sized sheets of plywood over the rafters to spread the weight out. I use a size that is about 24" x 48" x 3/8 to 1/2" thick. I can get them up there and down easy enough with that size. And you need a really good step ladder on a solid surface to get on and off. Take care when getting on and off the roof as the ladder can kick out. Use the 3 point contact method all the time getting on and off the ladder. 2 hands 1 foot, 2 feet 1 hand etc in contact with roof or ladder. And keep you body weight towards the camper, not the outside of the ladder when transitioning between ladder and roof.

See here. This is a rubber roof but same concept of the plywood support. I use a tarp under the plywood to not scratch the rubber. I also use it on the metal roof I did to not scratch it either.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #3

SUN #11156
Thanks again JohnB! As for the plywood I thought I had to use wood that would go all the way across from side to side but this works better. I think I have a piece of plywood about this size.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Dyco 20/20. Brush it on the seams, going over every inch of the roof isn't necessary:

https://www.amazon.com/Dyco-Paints-2.../dp/B00C5SGIKG
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi team, is the link above, from Sunline fan, a good product for the roof of my 1850. The trailer roof took a beating this winter, but held up. I went over the seams a few years ago and need to repeat. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #6

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
I did that treatment a few years ago as well on my T1350. I went to Home Depot or Lowes and bought a sealant tube or two that was suitable for aluminum sheeting. Obviously cleaned the cracks (seams) of dirt, debris and crumbs, not to mention any pine needle sap that could accumulate. BTW hot water is good to help rid the sap as it melts it.

Then I sealed each joint and let it cure as written on the tube.
After that I painted to entire roof with appropriate color and appropriate paint. Never, ever did have a leak

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

SUN #11314
Shaw520 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Dyco 20/20. Brush it on the seams, going over every inch of the roof isn't necessary:

https://www.amazon.com/Dyco-Paints-2.../dp/B00C5SGIKG

This Dyco 20/20 is reasonably priced compared to others,... Liquid roof gets some of the highest praises but is over $100 a gallon. Im going to be doing my Aluminum roof in the next couple of weeks and Ive been searching every possibly product. Silicone gets high praises for rubber roof' but I was told its an absolute no-no on a metal roof. My Sunline is 29 yrs old and believe it or not has never had a leak,... and aside from the hatches and vents has NEVER been sealed with any product. (im a fan of aluminum roof). So,..deciding which product to go with at a reasonable price has been my latest obsession. Liquid roof is most costly,.. Heng's is well rated at around $52 gal,... and this one above Dyco 20/20. All your opinions are highly appreciated.

Oops,.. I just realized the link to Dyco is for a quart,.. so well $100 per gal.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
When I did my metal roof 3 years ago, I used a product called "Thru the roof" I cleaned all seams with a wire wheel on my drill then wiped with a solvent. This stuff is ultra clear, self leveling and I've been impressed with the way it's stuck to the metal so far. You can't get it off.This was the first time I used it and I'd recommend it.
Gary G
Old 06-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #9

SUN #11314
Shaw520 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrvguy View Post
When I did my metal roof 3 years ago, I used a product called "Thru the roof" I cleaned all seams with a wire wheel on my drill then wiped with a solvent. This stuff is ultra clear, self leveling and I've been impressed with the way it's stuck to the metal so far. You can't get it off.This was the first time I used it and I'd recommend it.
Gary G
Interesting product,... so you only coated the seam's,.. or the entire roof,..??
Old 06-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #10

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I only did the seams and around the vents. No need to do the whole thing unless you suspect there is a hole in the metal.
Gary G
Old 06-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

SUN #11156
Talking Finished the roof

Just an update. I got the Dyco and sealed all the seams. It was pretty hard to maneuver the plywood around on the roof to sit on because there isn't enough surface area on my 17' to put the wood. Trying to fit it onto the spaces between the vents and air conditioner was impossible. So trying to paint the seams carefully was almost impossible let alone trying to clean the seams first. Forget scraping the old stuff. The stuff around the vents and air conditioner looked like some kind of tar. I just cleaned it as best I could and put the new sealant on over it. Also, the Dyco is white and I didn't know this and I didn't get paint so now I have bright white stripes on my roof. haha. Ah well, I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about it all. Still haven't flushed the water system yet.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilL View Post
Also, the Dyco is white and I didn't know this and I didn't get paint so now I have bright white stripes on my roof. haha. Ah well, I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about it all.
There are many campers with white items mounted on their roof like the plastic roof vent cover you have. Granted in your case the seams may look different than the original, but the white is very much OK other then a cosmetic issue. No real need to paint it a color to match the old roof unless it really bothers you. Most times you cannot see it up there from the ground.

Good for you getting the seams sealed.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #13

SUN #11156
Thanks JohnB!