Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #1

SUN #1212
montim is an unknown quantity at this point
General Travel Trailer Questions

Hello,

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it recommended to have a water pressure regulator since some campgrounds have water pressure issues?

2. Is there a gauge that can be installed so that there is some indication that the propane tank is nearly empty? Is this recommended?

3. When dewinterizing with the chlorine bleach solution, how do you know how much water to use to rinse out the water system properly?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #2

SUN #1879
OhhWell is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

1: yes

2: yes, it's up to you on the usefullness. I just tap on them with my ring and go off of the sound.

3. Most people will fill up the fresh tank with a water and baking soda solution and let that run through all of the lines. OTherwise, run it through untill the odor/taste is acceptable.

Former trailers - '94 T-2770
'02 t-2753
'08 Keystone Sprinter 299BHSS
OhhWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Montim

See comments in blue inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by montim View Post
Hello,

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it recommended to have a water pressure regulator since some campgrounds have water pressure issues? Yes, some campgrounds have high pressure that can cause leaks in your lower pressure camper. 35 psi in the camper is often enough. 50 psi like you home is a real lot. Anything about that is too much.

2. Is there a gauge that can be installed so that there is some indication that the propane tank is nearly empty? Is this recommended? There are several ways to do this. Some use an IR temp gun and scan the tank for a temperature change at the liquid line when using the LP. Some pour hot water on the tank and look for the liquid line, some have magnetic band on the tank that changes color at the liquid line. All of those methods work all have various level of pain in the neck some times. I have tried them all.

Use mentioned a gage, they do sell pressure gages for LP tanks in many of the lawn and garden stores. I use one but not for level. Like this

Like I said I use it as a leak check more then level. I use it on my outdoor stove and BBQ grill. Pressurize the line, shut the tank off and come back later and see if the pressure dropped off. If it did you have a leak in the hose fittings or appliance somewhere. As far as indicating level when the tank is full to about 1/4 full it is solid green all the time, no change. When your getting close to empty the pressure drops quicker and you go from green to yellow to out in short order. Not a good way to tell how full the tank is.

What I do on the 2 main 30# tanks on the camper is use an auto change over regulator. When 1 tank goes empty the tank auto switches over and the indicator goes red. I see that at the end of every campout when I turn off the LP. I then still have full 30# tank and I get the other one refilled.

See these posts for more info

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...uge-11710.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...ons-10845.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ned-10560.html

3. When dewinterizing with the chlorine bleach solution, how do you know how much water to use to rinse out the water system properly?

See here on a post on how to do this. See section 2
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f1...nks-11910.html

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
On the tank question:

With two tanks I simply use an automatic switching requlator. Instead of drawing from both tanks, with both turned on it draws from one at a time. When the first tank is empty the regualtor shows an indicator that it's now drawing from the other one. Then you can take the first one for a refill.

This works very well as long as you check once and a while.

Using one tank you can use a luggage scale to weigh them.

Take a full tank and weigh it and then take an empty one and weigh it. Now you can make a scale on what you have when you weight one that has some gas in it.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
Take a full tank and weigh it and then take an empty one and weigh it. Now you can make a scale on what you have when you weight one that has some gas in it.
The empty weight for a tank should be stamped on the collar somewhere. It usually says "Tare" or "TW", and steel 20's should be around 17-18 pounds or so.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Since when paying prefilled tanks you never know how full the tank is but you will pay as if it is completely full. When going to the filling station you can stand close enough to see the tank is full or atleast know that your only paying for what is in the tank.

If you want to know exaactly how much LP is in the tank you can opt for the see through tanks made of fiberglass.

Amazon.com: Lite Cylinder LC-20-30 Composite Lightweight Non-Corrosive See-Through 20 Pound Propane Tank, Blue: Industrial & Scientific

jim

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote