Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #1

SUN #70
Sunny Side Up
Front Window Reseal Done!

I completed the front window reseal on our Sunline 2753. It appears to be a success, the garden hose test result was bone dry! I didn't get to take any helpful pictures because my assistant was under a time constraint. However, I can offer the following based on my experience.

1) On our 2005 trailer, the stone guard came out with the window. It was attached to the frame with rivets and stayed on the window.

2) I used 3/4" butyl tape, but if I do it again, I would try to get 1". The flange around the window is wide and 3/4" just didn't seem to be enough. We wound up pushing the window out a little and adding some, because it failed the garden hose test the first time. We doubled it at the aluminum siding indentations, but in hind sight, I would double it everywhere.

3) We used a shim to center the window for reinstall. A strip of wood 1.5" wide by 1/4" thick put the window just where we needed it and fit between the window frame and trim ring inside. If you have two people holding it outside, you might not need the shim, but we had difficulty until we used it.

4) I put TYVEK tape on the bottom half of the window opening before reinstalling. Hopefully, it will keep any future leaks from going between the walls. It worked on our first hose test, we saw the leak right away.

5) The original leak that prompted this was evident when we pulled the window out. I was getting a water drip stain on the inside front wall when we towed in the rain or washed the trailer. There was staining on the wood under the window frame, right above the area where the inside front wall showed drips.

I don't see any damage from the leak and think we caught it in time. Everything that I could see between the walls above the window was dry. My spry helper even got on the roof and applied a strip of Eternabond tape to the front roof seam (the only one I can't reach from the sides). Now I can put Eternabond on the sides and rear seams myself.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful. What I learned from the SOC forum was super helpful before I tried this project.

Happy Camping,
Bart

Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Bart

Good job! and thanks for the feed back. It helps to here back from all types of Sunline adventures...

Tyvek tape, h'mm that's new to me. I'll have to look it up in the lumber yard. Is this the tape they use on the seams of the house wrap material?

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #3

SUN #70
Sunny Side Up
Hi John,

Yep, the Tyvek tape is the same stuff they use in house construction. I found it at Home Depot in 2" rolls.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bart
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #4

SUN #78
tedontario
I was glad to find this discussion as we had a leak in our front window while driving in bad rain. We have never been able to repeat the leak at home with garden hose and I am totally unable to see a flaw in the sealant. When we found water on the bedding it was totally clean and after drying the sheet with a hair drier there was no sign of stain. I will have to try the water test again and make sure it is okay
Ted
tedontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #5

SUN #70
Sunny Side Up
Hi Ted,

I think we had almost the exact same experience. A year or more ago, we drove in a big rain (tropical storm type) and found a puddle of clear water under the window, on a ledge. The living room is in the front on a 2753. We didn't see anything else for a couple of seasons. This year was the first time that I noticed the stain on the wall.

Maybe it's a good idea to reseal that front window every 5 years or so. It probably takes quite a beating when towing in bad weather.

Good luck,
Bart