Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Front Stone Guard

One of my last projects this year is to repaint the front stone guard. From the looks of it they're made of fiberglass and the original paint has just worn off over the years from highway sand-blast.

The striping seems to be in not too bad condition. So what my plans are is to remove the entire unit and give it a severe wash with detergent and then wipe it down with a light solvent to rid residue. Then I'll start masking everything with Frog tape and masking tape. I wanted to remove the panel from the frame but that looks too intense with rivets. So masking it is.

I will be using a spray-on primer from Krylon for plastics and then use that typical Krylon Recreational White. That off-white, creamy-beige color.

If anyone has done this in the past let me know what you think of my process.

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I removed my rockguard by removing the screws that hold the bracket for the arms. Then remove one screw from the top track and slide the whole thing sideways off the track. I did have to use putty tape to bed the brackets in when I replaced it. My afterthought was to drill out one rivet on each arm and replace it with a small bolt and locking head nut.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

SUN #2427
JTurner is an unknown quantity at this point
I repainted the striping on our rock guard. The fiberglass cleaned up with a combination of Magic Erasers and Chlorox Clean-Up. I don't believe the fiberglass rock guard was originally painted, it is probably just dirty and needs to be cleaned. Once I scrubbed it, it looked brand new and came out a nice beige color, like the siding. I did not remove it, just taped off each area and used Dupli-Color spray paint, from the auto parts store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rock guard.jpg (47.4 KB, 7 views)
JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #4

SUN #6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
I repainted the striping on our rock guard. The fiberglass cleaned up with a combination of Magic Erasers and Chlorox Clean-Up. I don't believe the fiberglass rock guard was originally painted, it is probably just dirty and needs to be cleaned. Once I scrubbed it, it looked brand new and came out a nice beige color, like the siding. I did not remove it, just taped off each area and used Dupli-Color spray paint, from the auto parts store.
Wow!!! It's hard to see the actual detail on your pic without the naked eye but it sure looks impressive. I actually was going to clean mine anyway prior to painting but would that be a shockeroo if cleaning alone will bring things back. The funny thing is, mine doesn't look dirty. Plus I have washed it before but not to the extent that your described. Mine looks worn, but I'll let you know how things turn out.

Now my trailer door is another story. If you take a close look at the door right next to the hinge you'll see some shiny streaks, that where I think the paint has worn off of the aluminum door and you can see the actual aluminum poking through. I'll apply that same process to the door because it has the same gungy look. but the decal striping has worn and peeled.
Q: How close were the color match-ups with Dupli-color and the actual decals? Or Krylon for that matter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0258.jpg (66.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0259.jpg (79.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0260.jpg (98.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0262.jpg (96.9 KB, 3 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #5

SUN #2427
Yup, that's just what my rock guard looked like before I cleaned it. Saturate a Magic Eraser with the Chlorox Clean-Up, and scrub away at it. You will be amazed. I have noticed that I need to clean it several times during the season. That fiberglass gets dirty fast. But it's never as bad as the first time.

The Dupli-Color matched pretty well, they have a lot of colors to choose from. The bright red is slightly different because the original striping was some sort of light-reflecting stuff. I think I used Krylon Almond on the door. My door striping was much worse than yours. I used a wire brush to remove it, covered it all with the almond color, and then did the striping.

If you look under my profile, I have more pictures. I have re-striped three sides of the camper. The other side was in good condition.

Are you sure your camper is an '85? The 85 and 86 looked very similar, but I thought in 86 they put the small red stripe inside of the blue one, and the name Saturn on it, and the windows are dark brown. My windows are silver aluminum, and I have no model name anywhere on mine. I could be wrong, but every one I have seen follows this pattern.

Please post more pictures, I love to look at the older campers and their renovations.

Jenny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunline door.jpg (5.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #6

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
I also love looking at the older TT and the restorations and renovations!

Good thread. I will be needing to do some of this myself. Mostly on a 1996 T-2053 I just acquired. PO got a little aggressive on cleaning tree sap or something and went thru to the aluminum in some spots. Also the decals are in the worst shape I have seen.

The interior is excellent however. It is also the last year that the 2053 had jalousie windows I believe and I wanted them as apposed to the newer windows.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #7

SUN #6257
Ok, here's what I have. My dog tag on the side says December 1985.
My windows are that dark brown
The name on mine is definitely SATURN
and yes there is a smaller red pin stripe of sorts in the middle of the blue stripe all the way around the trailer.

I'll try that Magic Eraser and Chlorox clean up, sounds like you may have saved me a ton of time

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #8

SUN #6257
I bought a box of Magic Erasers and Clorox cleaner (the bottle didn't say "Clean-Up") but this stuff was bleach free.

My front stone guard came up beautifully. maybe to 99%. After all it's an 1985. Thanks for that heads up.
The entrance door on the other hand, only came up about 30% the rest I'm sure is paint wear. Stone guard is awesome. Thank you so much for that tip. Now I can drink beer and contemplate life, well after I do another task.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0263.jpg (32.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0264.jpg (52.1 KB, 3 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #9

SUN #2427
It looks beautiful!! I used the Chlorox with the bleach. I've never noticed the bleach free one. I will have to try it. My door was the same as yours. No amount of cleaning did any good. Repainting was the only option.

Glad you now have time for more important things, like beer. Could sure use a cold drink here, it's over 90 degrees and very humid.

That striping looks pretty good from what I can see. You may not even have to repaint it.

By the way, try waxing it after you clean it. I used something called "Ice", it's a liquid. I used it on the whole trailer, two coats. It seemed to keep it cleaner longer.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #10

SUN #6257
Our front stripes seem to be next to perfect. Our door stripes is another thing. So, the entire door will have to be painted and I'd probably get rid of the old stripes and just paint new ones on. Like you said before, with as close a color match as can be found.
Waxing????

I have polished and waxed twice this year alone and I have all the Meguiar products

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #11

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Your rock guard looks great, especially for the model year! Just one word of "warning" on the use of Clorox Clean-up: We cleaned our Sunline's rock guard last year with the CC-ME combination with no problems so far, however, so did Janalee and her decals started peeling. We both have early 2000 Sunlines which were notorious for their bad decals so that might have something to do with it. But, maybe just be careful around the decals.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #12

SUN #6257
I guess this is the part where I say "oops".
Let's put it this way when I cleaned the entire surface my hand pressure was concentrated on the fiber glass and not so much on the stripes, but I suppose there was also pressure on the fiberglass in between those stripes.

Presently my stripes are in near mint condition and I plan on re waxing them today since I removed any waxing I had from last week.

Funny little story: I told my son a few days ago that I hand intentions of repainting the entire stone guard. He knows how I am on some of these projects so nothing is a surprise to him.

He pulls in the driveway late yesterday afternoon while I was watering the garden. He gets out of his car, we exchange smiles and then I point at the stone guard not saying a word. He squints and looks closer as he walks towards the trailer.
He said "that paint color is a perfect match. It looks like it's new" That was all I needed to hear. He was shocked when he heard that it was just a simple, but severe, cleaning. Of course I was gloating to my wife at the dinner table all night.

All thanks to Jenny..... JTurner

The door is next but it has to be removed and stripped. I saw a pile of Duplicolor paint colors yesterday in our automotive store so close matches will be simple for the stripes. Being as the door has that dimpled texture surface I think I'll be using either a hair dryer or light heat off a propane torch to remove the old striping, then clean everything with solvent. Then that almond color for the door. I will do before and after pics for that too.. and I will describe my process.

Thanks to all for helping me on this project.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #13

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha this thread is great. I repainted a rock guard a while back with the Krylon Fusion, when it first came out. But no Mr. Clean erasers back then... The rock guard is indeed fiberglass and the color is inside it. I remember Kitty suggested we use a grill brush to clean it, but that's risky around the stripes. The eraser is definitely much more forgiving.

The door isn't painted!!! Those are vinyl stripes on there, just like the side of the trailer. The panel is called FRP panel, often used in car washes. It too has the color molded in. A heat gun or hair dryer will make removing those stripes simple. They don't stick well to the bubbled plastic, so that's why they started peeling when the vinyl dried out and cracked. I'd keep a piece and go get some paint to match it. Getting a straight line/edge will be tough with the bubbles though.

The only thing on the trailer that's painted is the aluminum siding and your window frames. Actually, the refrigerator access door and hot water heater door too. But the storage doors are colored fiberglass as well, and most things mounted on the outside are molded colored plastic.

December '85 is definitely a 1986 model. The '85/'86 models looked nearly identical striping wise, but as Jenny said, the '85 had bright aluminum window frames and no model name. '86 brought brown windows and the model name designations.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote