Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

SUN #1022
Sunny06
Fresh water fill line

I wondering if anyone else has ever had to replace this item on their Sunny? Ours has the white and blue corrugated hose on it, but it has crack in several places. If you have what did you use to replace it? I imagine a clear tubing will work too.

Thanks

Ginger(Weenie Dog)
Long Time Members
Sunny06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny06 View Post
I wondering if anyone else has ever had to replace this item on their Sunny? Ours has the white and blue corrugated hose on it, but it has crack in several places. If you have what did you use to replace it? I imagine a clear tubing will work too.

Thanks
That tubing is RV industry standard stuff. The fill port fixture on the outside of the trailer that it connects to is/was used by most manufacturers at one time or another. Any RV dealer will have it.

You'll have to access the water tank and disconnect the hose there first. Then you'll have to pull the outside fill off the the trailer. The hose will come with it. Remove the hose, take it to your local RV dealer, and get a new one. You don't even need to tell them it's off a Sunline.

Depending on the age and condition of the fill fixture, you might to replace that too. Again, standard stuff used in most RVs.

The worm clamps holding the hose to the fitting and tank should be reusable.

Reverse the process to install. You'll want to get a bit of butyl putty tape from the dealer and replace the putty on the fill fixture when putting it back in place.

To do this job, you should only need two tools: a #2 square bit driver and a 5/16" nut driver. And maybe a plastic putty knife to help get the fill off the outside of the trailer. It's summer so the warmer weather will make the putty a bit softer. If it is stubborn, gentle warming with a hair dryer should soften up the putty so that it will pull away easily.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #3

SUN #1022
Sunny06
Thanks Steve,

I will try to get this done sometime this week. I got a dealer right down the road from me. I am glad that the whole thing will come out once it is let loose of the tank. I have been putting getting done off for awhile now. Then I have a few other things to get done after that. We have not taken it out going on for over two years now. What caulk do you use for the sides of your camper. Dicor non sag?

Thanks
Dave
Ginger(Weenie Dog)
Long Time Members
Old 07-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

SUN #264
Quote:
Thanks Steve,

I will try to get this done sometime this week. I got a dealer right down the road from me. I am glad that the whole thing will come out once it is let loose of the tank. I have been putting getting done off for awhile now. Then I have a few other things to get done after that. We have not taken it out going on for over two years now. What caulk do you use for the sides of your camper. Dicor non sag?

Thanks
Dave
There may be a support strap on the fill hose. You might have to loosen or remove it to get the hose out. In Sunlines, the fresh water tank is above the floor and very close to the fill port. Mine was under the couch, but depending on floor plan it might be under the bed or a bench seat. Usually very easy to access.

Save the Dicor for the roof. For stuff fastened to the sides of the trailer, they use butyl putty tape, usually 1" wide. It's readily available at the RV shop. I keep a roll of it in my trailer at all times. Cut off whatever length you need and apply it to the back of the fixture. When you tighten it down, it will conform to the shape of the fixture and the excess will squeeze out around it. As with removal, a bit of heat from a hair dryer will soften it up a bit if needed.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #5

SUN #1022
Sunny06
I have a 264 SR model. The water tank is under the camper above the axles. I will look for a support on the hose. Oh I thought I would have to use putty tape and caulk around it too. I have some tape around the house somewhere. Is it a good idea to replace the putty tape on the other fixtures around the trailer? I have to put on a new city water connection since all the inside pieces fell out. The putty tape will be enough for sealing it back up?

Dave
Ginger(Weenie Dog)
Long Time Members
Old 07-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #6

SUN #264
I forgot about the SRs being under the floor instead of above. Just trace the hose completely before you try to slide it out there may or may not be a support depending on how it's put together.

The manufacturers use just the putty tape on all the lights and hatches and everything else on the outside that's why we suggest to replace it whenever you do a job like this.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #7

SUN #1022
Sunny06
Thanks Steve, I will make sure I do that.. Hopefully I can get to work on it some time soon...
Ginger(Weenie Dog)
Long Time Members
Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
If yours is a ribbed fill hose, I'll make a recommendation. Do not replace it with the same ribbed hose. And here is why. The fresh water tank is made from polyethylene. This is needed to get a potable water tank and be food grade. It is one slippery plastic.

The problem with the ribbed hose is the ID of it. It is often not a nice smooth bore, it has depressions in it where the ribs are on the out side. And then to get the worm drive clamps to try and compress a seal nice and even is very difficult to close to impossible as the clamp pressure is on a rib and wants to slide off the rib as you tighten the clamp.

Sunline use to squirt clear silicone on the tank pipe (at least on mine they did) and then slip the ribbed hose over it. The silicone being so slippery against polyethylene, the hose will back off even with 2 worm drive clamps on it.

I tried many times to get mine to stop leaking and it was a challenge. I later found many have switched to the potable water clear vinyl hose which has a smooth bore and will seal very effectively against the fresh tank pipe. The tank pipe is also a smooth OD, there are no barbs. Using the potable water clear vinyl hose with no silicone and then using worm drive clamps has been reported to work from the get go.

I'm not saying the ribbed hose will not work. Most RV manufactures use it, the only reason I can think of why is lower cost and that it is harder to create a kink in it. Look at your hose you have now and the hose you are going to buy. If the ribbed hose has bumpy ID, the depressions are where the ribs are on the outside, be prepared for potential sealing issues. If they actually changed the hose to being a true smooth bore, no depression at all, then your odds will be higher of a seal. What Sunline used in the 2004 model year has the problem.

If you do go the potable water clear vinyl hose route, make sure you do not kink it. That is something to work through with it as it has no outer ribs. It may also be very stiff. You may have to soak it in hot water to possibly get it to flex easier. This potable water clear vinyl hose looks just like the vent hose for the fresh tank, just bigger in diameter. Home Depot and Lowes may carry it. I have seen it there, just do not know if they have that size.

PS, This "might" be the size. You will need to verify
Sioux Chief 1-5/8 in. O.D. x 1-1/4 in. I.D. x 2 ft. Clear Vinyl Tubing-HSVSP2 - The Home Depot

Shop Samar 1-5/8-in x 1-ft PVC Clear Vinyl Tubing at Lowes.com

The also sell the reinforced hose which may not kink as much. Do not know if they have it in the size needed
Shop Samar 1-in x 1-ft Reinforced PVC Reinforced Braided Vinyl Tubing at Lowes.com

They often sell it on a roll and you cut off what you need. That link may only by the foot long. Your looking for a smooth bore hose, is made from FDA rated material for potable water service. It does not have to the the clear vinyl, but need to be smooth bore and potable water rated.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

SUN #1022
Sunny06
Thanks John,

I think I will go the vinyl route too. I hope to get to get to this soon as I can.. It's been over two years since we had the Sunny out camping.

Thanks
Dave
Ginger(Weenie Dog)
Long Time Members
Old 07-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #10

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
For the ribbed hose (common with swimming pool pumps/filters), a double wire clamp is what is normally used. Two of them with the take up screws 180 out works the best. Of course you need the tank fitting to be long enough for two.

Sunline for some reason elected not to use them.

The one thing I'm trying to remember is if the Sunline hose is separate ribs or a spiral?

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-002
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:37 AM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjin View Post

The one thing I'm trying to remember is if the Sunline hose is separate ribs or a spiral?
In the year 2000 and up at least, they where separate ribs, no spiral. Don't know for sure on the older ones.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #12

SUN #1022
Sunny06
Bought some vinyl from Lowes the other day. I hope I can get it on soon since it has been so hot..
Ginger(Weenie Dog)
Long Time Members
Old 07-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #13

SUN #264
Quote:
Bought some vinyl from Lowes the other day. I hope I can get it on soon since it has been so hot..
Warm the ends gently with Mama's hair dryer. They will slip on over the fittings much easier.