Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
floor repair

My son bought a 2012 Terry 29 ft. It has all the features tows great and they love it. Last time they brought it home they thought they could smell ammonia. I jumped to a conclusion and immediately thought it was an old accumulation of pee (sewage gas). Of course we blamed their dog. Obviously it was not the dog. We did see waded toilet paper within the black-water down pipe. Okay, so we blamed the 2 teenage girls for that one. LOL (seriously it could have been anyone but it's more fun to blame others)

After their last camping trip they parked it for the season. We decided to remove the toilet and lift the flooring kind of that peel-n-stick. Then we saw stain on the plywood underneath. We lifted the plywood and found that the original floor was still underneath and it had gaping wholes in it. It was quite obvious that an owner 2 or 3 previous owners did a patch-up repair and covered the original damage. So during the next few weeks the two of us will be tearing the vanity and bath tub out and replace the old floor with fresh marine-grade plywood. It seems as though the entrance to the trailer has a soggy spot reaching about 2 to 3 feet inwards to the trailer. We suspect a window or door left open during a rain storm. More marine grade plywood there too. We'll finish everything off with water proof caulking; Double checking any electrical and fresh water, gray water and black water plumbing.

I'm sure many others here have encountered the same problems at one time or another.

Are there any other tips some of you old pros recommend that we might have missed?

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #2

SUN #9498
Draughty is an unknown quantity at this point
OH MY.. the one in back may well be toilet leakage but that one by the door? Check the roof edges and walls nearest to that area as that is a place where roof leakage runs to and since it gets so much traffic I think it sort of sags and pools there. I had a hole all the way through.
I did a long thread last year and John B. has much written about water infections/intrusions and how to diagnose and repair.
You may get lucky but be prepared for more work than you expect!