Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

SUN #966
dennis
floor leak in front of frig.

We bought a used 1998 model T2478 solaris 2 years ago from a dealer We are seeing a large discoloring of the tile in front of the frig. The spot is growing. We don't find any obvious leaks and did have the roof recaulked. It appears the problem has still gotten worse since then. We assume it is mold under the tile.

Under the frig. is an access door to the fresh water tank and water pump but we don't see any discoloration of the tile under them on the inside.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions.

P.S. at is the BBC code?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Dennis,

Yes, I did experience this in my last coach, also a '98. It did result in a (very) rotten and damp floor.

I hate to break it to you, but the damage may be worse than you expect.

When Sunline built it, they put down a piece of flooring over the entire coach, before anything went on (even walls). Then, they put a second piece of flooring over the area where the final finish was the vinyl. It did overlap the carpeted area quite a bit. In your case it probably goes up under the bed and stops just shy of the front. Maybe not though.

Then Sunline put carpet over everywhere where carpet went, and finished the edges.

My damage occurred in the kitchen area where there were two layers of flooring. I could see a little discoloration inside one of the cabinets and just a very small amount in a corner. Once that top layer was pulled up though, it was all badly discolored everywhere, but worse in the spots where it showed through the next layer.

I think my problem was from the previous owner not winterizing it correctly. The trap under the kitchen sink froze and cracked, so water ran down the pipe to the floor for many years.

Basically the only repair is to cut out the flooring and wood and replace it all. It's not an easy job but it can be done with not a whole lot of time and actually pretty cheap. If you were determined, I think you could complete the main repair in a weekend and then put the final floor covering down the next weekend, or even in the spring if you wish.

I'd recommend doing it before winter though because the wet wood can freeze and swell, which can cause a whole mess of new problems.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
MAC

SUN #976
MAC
I am repairing a water leak in front of my refridgerator (on a 1999 Solaris 24.5 ft). The floor is bad in front of the fridge and headed towards the bathroom and also under the couch. It appears the leak was coming from the intake water line behind the 2 drawers near the fridge. At the same time, I found water damage to the right front (where the chair sits for the living room). I pulled out part of that wall and found some extreme damage to the wood. That part of repairing seems simple to replace wood and insulation. Is there any way to replace the flooring without taking out the fridge and the couch? I see that some other folks have done some floor repairs. I don't have a manual on how to get these items removed. I know I can't spend alot to have a dealer do it. Is there any place to get an instrution booklet on removal of these items?
Thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
MAC

SUN #976
MAC
water leak in front of fridge

Ok, so I got no replies on my problem. I did find a repair shop that pulled up the front half of the floor in my Sunline Solaris. We found water damage from the front right wall (due to the running lights) and water damage under the couch and in front of the fridge. All of the bad wood was pulled out and replaced with half inch plywood. We had some left over Allure floor tiles, left over indoor outdoor carpeting, and the results were wonderful. The camper looks like new and smells new again. The roof was resealed again, so we'll be on the road again. All this was done for less than $800.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Mac

Thanks for reporting back. And a good tip on the clearance lights leaking in the wall. I saw that too that it could be a possible place for water to get in. So I sealed the top and side with Dicor to keep the water from coming in. Sunline sealed my high up ones but not the ones down low. I do not trust that rubber gasket to be a life long seal. The plastic lens seems to crack by the screws and then the pressure on the rubber seal goes out and water comes in.

Glad things worked out for you.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote