Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #1

SUN #784
jsms264
Flies, flies, and more flies.....how to keep them out!?

I started to store my Sunline at my mothers house late last summer. It's a non-working farm now but non-the-less a farm. My bother stores his fifth wheel there as well(he has a brand new 2010 SOB fifth wheel) and both of us have been invaded by flies inside and out. Anyone have a solution for keeping flies out?? Not so sure I can stomach it all summer...it's only going to get worse as it warms up here in the north!

2005 Sunline 264SR
2005 Chevy 1500HD 4X4 6.0 4WS
jsms264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
Not a pretty solution, but the advice of my Dad who was a fulltimer for 7 years. He would spray bug repellent on a rag and clip it to the screen door with a clothes pin.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
We've never had to deal with more than the occasional fly but we've had to deal with mosquitos a couple of times and were amazed to find all the different ways there are to get into a closed RV.

One night we killed the single mosquito that slipped in, probably thru the opened door, went to bed only to hear a second, killed the second and shortly there after a third appeared. In the morning we looked for all possible ways in to what appeared to be a rather tightly screened rig.

We have found that by putting screening over the two refigerator vents and the stove vent we managed to keep out the bulk of mosquitos.

Later we actually saw one mosquito come down by the crank for a roof vent. We fixed that by closing the vents. Since the screening additions we have been virtually mosquito free.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
We've used these things that unroll and hang, like a tape almost. They have something on them that is sweet and very sticky at the same time, so once the bug tries to go get it, they stick to it and can't leave. It worked well for the lady beetle invasion we had here. We've never intentionally left it up in storage before, though one may have been left up if it didn't have much on it, but it has worked well in camp.

Another in-camp only solution we've found are battery operated bug zappers. I think they came from Harbor Freight. They run off of a couple batteries and all I do is press the button and get the bug to get on it. It sends electricity through the wires on this thing, which almost has the appearance of a tennis racket. Sometimes if it goes well, the bug will make a loud popping noise and will even sometimes start smoking! This does work well for ladybugs since they don't move too fast. I could imagine it would be difficult for flies since they move so fast.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #5

SUN #149
nasa42a
Folks....

Once they're inside (sooner or later, it IS going to occur), Jon's bug-zapper-fly-swatter seems the only "clean" solution to the fast-moving flies.

For all other bugs, however (skeeters, no-see-ums,etc.) we've found that a dustbuster does a great job of sucking them up without a mess. It certainly was a lifesaver at times with our Que, whose screen/blinds would never seal tightly on the sides.

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #6

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
We once had something die in the walls or where ever in our summer cottage and came to the cottage to find 100's of flies and used a vacuum to capture them. We had to do this for aout a week before it stopped. We never found the source but maybe we're glad we didn't.

It definitely worked to get rid of them.

As to our Sunline's window screens they are amazingly tight, the best I've seen in any RV.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #7

SUN #128
Tweety
Most Sunline window screens are nice and tight. The QUE had some funky wierd ones that didn't seal along the sides, and any bug with a desire could get in. We used to stuff rolled up paper towels along the sides of the screens it was so bad.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
We have our home sprayed all over the outside every August or September to prevent infestations of lady beetles and cluster flies. The beetles look like lady bugs but are not. If we don't have the house treated, we get massive invasions of both and they hang around all winter.

The trailer doesn't seem to attract either even though it sits next to the house. I was told that the bugs seek out dark surfaces. We do get a few of the beetles in the trailer but since they are seeking warmth and protection from the freezing weather, they don't stick around. That's why they try to get into the house, especially crawl spaces and partitions, etc.

The pest control guy uses a commercial "rethrin" product that is highly effective. You can buy Raid and similar products that contain less potent "rethrins" that are moderately useful.

I have seen a powdered egg shell product advertised that is supposed to be good against cluster flies, but have no experience with it.

I have used the room fogger products with good results in the trailer. Remove all food and bedding. Make sure that all pots, pans, plates, glasses, flatware, etc. are out of the trailer. All interior drawers and doors need to be open. (I remove all the drawers for the winter anyway so I just take them from the trailer to the basement.) I place two foggers in the TT, one in the bedroom and one in the galley/living room area.

I know it's a bit of a pain to pull all that stuff out of the TT, but it worked for me better than any other treatment. Once you get the trailer away from the barn, it should be OK.

One other thought, I don't think it's possible to seal up a TT completely against these infestations. There are just too many places for the critters to get in like the fridge vents that are hard to seal. Maybe for winterization, but even then, persistent insects will find a way.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote