Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #21

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sep View Post
The wallpaper came in on Tuesday and the glue today so I've got what I need to get it done. Steve
Curious on the wall paper on how this comes out. I'm assuming you are using the commercial wall paper? I will need to do this at some point in one of my campers and researching ideas.

Stitches, ouch that sounds like it hurt... Hope you fell better soon.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #22

SUN #9421
UNIXdude is an unknown quantity at this point
I may be too late, but you do not want to use Pergo flooring or any of the other cheap laminate "hardwood" flooring. Once you get water into the seams, they swell up and start to buckle at the seams. A friend is in the Real Estate business in WA and told me about a home someone was looking at that had Pergo flooring in the kitchen - it was bulging at the seams and needed to be replaced. It could have been installed improperly, but I have heeded that warning. One thought was a single sheet of vinyl that realistically looks like hardwood.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #23

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I used a cheap laminate in my sunline when I did the floors without any problems. I put down a layer of heavy clear plastic I had kicking around just to keep the moisture off the backside of the laminate. I didn't fill any of the seams in the plywood and I don't think you need to worry about the slight height difference if some of the vinyl is left . My laminate was about 1/4 thick so it's pretty forgiving over seams. I have used the new vinyl laminate flooring in a bathroom at home which is supposed to be waterproof and rated for kitchen and bath use. That was much thinner and more flexible, so I would worry about using that over seams.
Gary G
Old 06-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #24
sep

SUN #7710
sep is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Curious on the wall paper on how this comes out. I'm assuming you are using the commercial wall paper? I will need to do this at some point in one of my campers and researching ideas.

Stitches, ouch that sounds like it hurt... Hope you fell better soon.

Thanks

John
John,

We had talked about the wallpaper in another post. It is heavy commercial vinyl and is 27" wide. For the glue, I went with what they call vinyl over vinyl wallpaper glue since they say it is extra tacky to hold to the old paper. I couldn't find any info on glue that would be good for extreme hot or cold temps. Here are some pics of what I had done to my first camper, a 1976 Shasta.

Yeah, the stiches, they are easing up but they definitely cramp my style.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b4 walls.jpg (145.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00484.JPG (137.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00485.JPG (147.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #25
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIXdude View Post
I may be too late, but you do not want to use Pergo flooring or any of the other cheap laminate "hardwood" flooring. Once you get water into the seams, they swell up and start to buckle at the seams. A friend is in the Real Estate business in WA and told me about a home someone was looking at that had Pergo flooring in the kitchen - it was bulging at the seams and needed to be replaced. It could have been installed improperly, but I have heeded that warning. One thought was a single sheet of vinyl that realistically looks like hardwood.
Thanks for the info. I've tried the one piece sheet of vinyl on one of them and it is a bear to set and cut around all of the nooks and crannies. I ended up having to call my buddy, a floor guy by trade, to come over and do it. Since the run isn't that long, I'm going to give it a try. We will see.

Steve
Old 06-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #26
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrvguy View Post
I used a cheap laminate in my sunline when I did the floors without any problems. I put down a layer of heavy clear plastic I had kicking around just to keep the moisture off the backside of the laminate. I didn't fill any of the seams in the plywood and I don't think you need to worry about the slight height difference if some of the vinyl is left . My laminate was about 1/4 thick so it's pretty forgiving over seams. I have used the new vinyl laminate flooring in a bathroom at home which is supposed to be waterproof and rated for kitchen and bath use. That was much thinner and more flexible, so I would worry about using that over seams.
Gary G
Thanks Gary! That's a great point about the plastic. Did you put down that foam cushion "underlayment" too? How long has it been installed? Do you have a picture posted anywhere? Sorry for all the questions but I tend to ask a lot. LOL!

Steve
Old 06-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #27

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sep View Post
John,

We had talked about the wallpaper in another post. It is heavy commercial vinyl and is 27" wide. For the glue, I went with what they call vinyl over vinyl wallpaper glue since they say it is extra tacky to hold to the old paper. I couldn't find any info on glue that would be good for extreme hot or cold temps. Here are some pics of what I had done to my first camper, a 1976 Shasta.
Steve, WOW that came out great. This is what I was hoping to see. For sure let us know how the glue goes.

The old

The new

For what it's worth, we put new wall paper boarder in our bedroom on the T310SR. It was the prepasted kind I just needed to wet and apply over what Sunline had. It has been on since 2010 and still going. The camper has been through weeks of -15F in the winter to over 100F inside during the summer.

See here

The only difference is, that prepasted glue was not on a bare wood, it went over the Sunline wall paper. But it at least says there is hope this will work out.

Thanks

John

Old 06-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #28
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomascine View Post
Thanks SEP,

I thought I checked at Home Depot. What is the thickness, 1/4" or 1/8"? What I bought was 5mm which is a little thicker than what was there (1/8"). Even though I've already cut the pieces to go back in, I may go back to the Home Depot here and check again. This may be a bit OCD but I am trying to cut down on sanding. The difference in thickness won't make much of a difference under the hamper because that is the cargo area but the wall in the dinette area I would like to have it as smooth as possible. I want to try to get those pieces stapled in this weekend if it doesn't rain again.

Thanks,
Tommie

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk
Tommie,

This is what I used. 10 bucks a sheet at Home Depot.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallboard info.jpg (116.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #29
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Steve, WOW that came out great. This is what I was hoping to see. For sure let us know how the glue goes.

The old

The new

For what it's worth, we put new wall paper boarder in our bedroom on the T310SR. It was the prepasted kind I just needed to wet and apply over what Sunline had. It has been on since 2010 and still going. The camper has been through weeks of -15F in the winter to over 100F inside during the summer.

See here

The only difference is, that prepasted glue was not on a bare wood, it went over the Sunline wall paper. But it at least says there is hope this will work out.

Thanks

John

Well John,

That is a good feeling knowing that the prepasted glue has lasted that long. On the Shasta, I used border glue so hopefully this new stuff is even better. We shall see.

Steve
Old 06-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #30

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Good evening SEP,

I think you mentioned that you will be using wallpaper on your walls. Is that white side of that wallboard you used paintable?

Thanks,
Tommie

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #31
sep

SUN #7710
Hi Tommie,

It has a shiny but eggshell feel to it but I think you should be fine painting it. You may want to put a Kilz primer on it first though.

Steve
Old 06-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #32

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks SEP,

I took a chance and bought a sheet. I'm in the process of cutting out the pieces that I need. I was thinking of trying the 2 in 1 paint and primer. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks,
Tommie

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:19 AM   #33
sep

SUN #7710
Finally back at it.

It has been a busy summer but now that the kids are off to college, I have some time to try and get this done for some fall camping. Before I started to paper, I noticed a soft spot on the right rear wall. I picked up a moisture meter that John B was talking about and ran it over all of that side. It was pretty wet so I pulled out a few sections and let it dry. Once it was dry enough for my comfort level. I pieced the new wall board in. Next it was time to paper. It wasn't stifling hot so I set up a table by the camper. The paper is vinyl backed and heavy commercial grade and I used a vinyl over vinyl paste. It was much thicker than the border glue that I used in the early 2000s so I had to work it in. I tried to match the color scheme the best I could and figured that if I do the whole back bedroom area, it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. Here is where we are at so far. And yes, I still have that small strip to piece in on the left corner but I wanted to start that next time when I'm fresh and my hands didn't have a second skin. Lol!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #34
sep

SUN #7710
For some reason the pictures didn't load so I'm trying again...The one photo is a bit dark but it shows the difference between the old and new paper. I think it looks pretty good! Next is that slice in the corner and then up and over the rear window and lower cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new wallpaper my side.jpg (55.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg wallpaper my side and rear.jpg (64.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg wall fix Col side rear.jpg (71.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #35

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking good Steve!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #36

SUN #89
Wow Steve, that came out well.

I found 1/8" luan plywood. Had to special order it, but I bought enough sheets to have some left over. I'll be doing mine sometime next spring I think on the T1950. Need to start the wall paper hunt now.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #37
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Looking good Steve!
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #38
sep

SUN #7710
Quote:
Wow Steve, that came out well.

I found 1/8" luan plywood. Had to special order it, but I bought enough sheets to have some left over. I'll be doing mine sometime next spring I think on the T1950. Need to start the wall paper hunt now.
Thanks! So far, so good. Here is some info for your reference. I got the glue on Amazon and the wallpaper from Insidestores.com. They had the best price of the 4 places I checked out that had the Brewster paper I bought. They even called to verify the order and square footage so I received what I needed and ordered.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roman wall paper glue.jpg (59.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Inside stores brewster fogie silver scrim.jpg (49.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #39

SUN #89
Thanks Steve, that helps cut down some of the hunt... Very much appreciated.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #40
sep

SUN #7710
humpty dumpty is going back together

The floor is taking a bit longer than I would like because the cutting around stuff is really a pain in the butt. The vinyl was so sloppy under the peel and stick tiles so I cut it all out and put down the thin foam underlayment. The back is all back together except for the trim around the floor. I started cleaning the roof yesterday as I got bored of messing with the floor and my knees were bothering me. Oh, and I found it odd that the serial number tag was under the vinyl floor by the front door. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Steve P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear floor.jpg (70.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg rear finished.jpg (91.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg floor mid camper.jpg (76.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg serial under flooring by frt door.jpg (98.9 KB, 9 views)