Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #1

SUN #881
brickric
First time out in 2670

Hello all -

The time has come (and gone) to take our new to us 1997 2670 out camping. My wife, son and I had a wonderful time this past week camping in south central PA and had a wonderful time in our 2670. The only real issue we had was that our hot water was too hot. We ran it on the electric side and the water was really scalding hot. Is there a way to change the temperature on the electric side? I know of the thermostat on the gas side and that does work. Any suggestions?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi brickric

Glad you had a great 1st outing. Tht is what this is all about, having many great outings!

The HW heater, what model number do you have? 1997 may be a little different then the present day ones and I can look up your model.

Do you have to light the gas pilot or do you have electronic ignition?

On the ones with electronic ignition gas and electric heat, there is only 1 thermostat and unless you have a special, that thermostat is fixed. Attwood does make an adjustable T stat that will fit in there, I have seen it in a catalog but never bought it. However it may end up on my future mods list as we have the same way too hot issue.

Even if yours is the older gas pilot and the electric portion may work the same way as the new ones.

The newer direct spark ignition one looks like this.

The T stat is behind that foam cover. To change, you buy the Atwood adjustable type and install it in place of the fixed. And it then controls both the gas and the electric heat.

I’ll try and find the Atwood part number for you and you look for your model number and ideally take a picture and we can point it out to you.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #3

SUN #597
henryj
HWH Thermostat Replacement

brickric and JohnB,
I can't help you with the part number, but a couple of weeks ago when I was researching the heat/AC thermostat this showed up in Google. It's a nice little video showing how to replace the HWH thermostat with an adjustable one.

http://trailerlife.magnify.net/video...e-RV-Thermosta

I had no idea you could replace the HWH thermostat and we certainly find it far too hot as well. On electric we often just run our HWH for 15-20 min. in the morning and that seems to be enough even to do dishes in the evening still.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Henry

Thank you. I saw that video before a long time ago, just could not remember where I saw it.

Here is one such pace that sells the Atwood Adjustable Tstat part number A93105

http://www.marksrv.com/atwood_wh_parts.htm scroll down the page. $32.50

I have never bought from them, just ran across it and so far the only place I can find it. They also have a number of other Atwood parts.

When digging for this I did find that sometimes the existing 140F T stat is not seated well against the tank. The air space makes it even hotter to convect enough heat to trip the T stat. If you have a meat thermometer, try it under your hot water. If it is in the 135 to 140 range, then it is working as designed. If it is a lot over 140 then the T stat may not be seated as well as it should and you can help fix that by cleaning the area and reseating.

140 F is hot and above recommend home use. 120F I thought was the range most plumbers are required to set home HW heater to. Don’t quote me on that number as the memory is foggy on the exact place I read it.

I have heard one reason it is that hot is so it will let the tank last longer as you mix it with cold at the tap/shower. Having a dial to adjust to where you feel is right for you is not a bad option. Why they are not place in when new is beyond me.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #5

SUN #881
brickric
Thanks for your help and that video is interesting. I had no idea that the thermostat just sits on the outside of the tank...I was expecting that a part of it would actually touch the water!
I found in my "instructions" a reset button for the existing thermostat...but I really think that 140 degrees is what I am getting. I will test next time I am out to see what temperature it really is.
JohnB - my heater is the older style without the electronic pilot. I have to manually light it. There is a slider thermostat on the gas side...just nothing on the electric side.