Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
First dewinterizing -couple of questions

We conquered the license plate issue today (Thank you for all the tips - you guys made it EASY!), now we really have the itch to go camping!

But we've got to dewinterize it (it came winterized when we purchased it from the dealer).

I've been reading the steps. Here's the questions I've got at this point.

1- Hubby says we don't have a hot water heater by-pass (I personally haven't looked yet). Is that possible, if so is there a set of directions without having that option?

2- We have a private well, I avoid putting bleach down it , because I've been told that cuts down on the natural decomposition action. I'm really hesitant about putting antifreeze and bleach down it. Thoughts?

Thanks!

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #2

SUN #115
emam
You might want to call the dealer who winterized it and ask what product they used to Winterize it in the first place

Many of the products used today arent harmful to wells, septics and ground water and simply have a solution in them that cant freeze but isnt harmful to humans.

I'm not sure if they used one of these products, so I'd call to be 100% sure, but it migt make things easier. If they did use a harsh chemical, try and find a Flying-J that has a dump station and use it to clean out your tanks the first time

This might seem like basic knowledge for you, but we put together a Spring Start-Up Guide to go through for this time of year

It might be something to print out and check off as you finish each task. This way you know you've done them and you havent forgotten anything

God luck and have fun camping

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:09 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
My '99 has the hot water heater bypass so yours may well have it too. In this pic, the bypass is the top and bottom valves and the short hose connecting them. Flip the valves one way, and water goes into and then out of the heater. Flip them the other way, and the water simply bypasses the heater via the short hose. If memory serves, the bypasses were all two valve in '99, so it should be pretty easy to locate.

(How did that spare Bargmann turn signal get in the picture? )

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: First dewinterizing -couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeScraps
2- We have a private well, I avoid putting bleach down it, because I've been told that cuts down on the natural decomposition action. I'm really hesitant about putting antifreeze and bleach down it. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi Diane, you used the words "well" and then about putting bleach down it...

When you mean "well" are you talking a well where you draw fresh drinking water?

Or are you talking some kind of septic system?

If you are talking a fresh water well, h'mm OK something not adding up here. Where did you read you need to treat the well in order to dewinterize the camper? That is not good info.

If you are talking a septic system, then yes putting 100PPM chlorine down it which is what most of the camper chlorine shock treatments create, is not something you want in a septic or aerator tank system.

For the fresh water flush of the system, that water can go on the ground as the trace amounts of chlorine are close to normal tap water. The first big flush of the high chlorine treatment is the concern into a any septic system. And what you do with that water, depends on your situation. Dumping it on sensitive plants may burn then. If you have a gravel driveway spreading it out will allow the chlorine to evaporate off. Or I doubt you have it but if you have a large enough qty of 5 gallon buckets, just letting the water/high chlorine solution sit out for a few days will evaporate off the chlorine and you are left with water with very low too no chlorine left. Getting 40 gallons in 5 gallon buckets is a bit much so that may not be an option.

Each of us deals with the high bleach water a little different as we have different ways to get rid of it. I myself have the gravel driveway.

Your question is a valid as this is the first time I recall it being asked here on the forum, what does one do with the high chlorine treatment?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #5

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
Thanks for the tips.

Sorry 'well' wasn't the right term to use - it's a private septic system, we don't have a gravel driveway either. I actually do have a couple of 5 gallon buckets, so that may be an option.

There isn't a Flying K, to my knowledge within an hour, I need to check and see if there are any other type of public dump stations.

I'll have to call Stoltzfus tomorrow to verify what they used to winterize it, though I am pretty sure it is the pink RV antifreeze

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote