Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #1

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Fireworks INSIDE the camper. Not good!

We were camping this past weekend at a VT state park. Tom had the generator hooked up. I was doing some cleaning inside and had the powerful little hand vacuum going (battery operated, not plugged in). It blows a lot of air around. I went by the vent to the converter and soon heard two loud bangs and sparks flew out of the vent. Smoke (and screaming) ensued. What a stink! Lucky there was no fire !

Well, the fans blew for sure. We went to the local RV place to see what we should do. Got a meter to check the genny (it is fine, output all OK, etc.). One fellow said to check and see what made the fans blow out and just replace that part and the fans. The owner came out advised that Centurion made bad converters and went out of business and we'd be wise to replace it (CS4500) . Nobody thought my vac had any connection, but there was lots of dust in there, we'd never really thought to look in there and clean it out. I still think either the rush of cool air or stirring up the dust made something blow out.

No circuit breakers flipped and all seems ok on the top part. Tom read up some old threads here and put his volt meter on. He's at work and not here to relay the numbers, but he said it is pretty likely that it is the converter. Anyway, after all the drama I'd never feel safe just replacing parts on the Centurion..

So..$$$$$$$$$ that we did not foresee. Love the Sunline, but the unexpected expenses can really put the damper on the fun of camping !!

2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh soooo very true....just when you think you are ahead BAM! The wind gets knocked out of our sails!

Leo does some lawn cutting during the summer and I figured on some of that money for vaca (August 6 days + every weekend in Sept + 2 - 3 weeks in October)...NOT....Leo decided we need to put in a driveway to the rear of our property about 200' - - in addition to that we need to have some tree stumps ground out along with some roots!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #3

SUN #246
Janalee
Yup..I took the Sunny in for inspection last week (after springing for a new radiator and water pump on the van) and asked them to check the bearings for adequate grease --they jacked up the trailer and one wheel nearly fell off!! Well, that answered the bearing question...and another $150 gone!! Not much left for the gas for my trip North next week! Janalee
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Janalee,

Unexpected repairs can really mentally tire a person out, can't it? At least you will be safe though

I hope that you have fun on your trip north next week. Have a s'more for me!

Anita
Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
It very well have been the combination you mentioned that caused the possibility of an arch, blowing out the fans. Then too, it may have just been a coincidence.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

SUN #3520
Medicjj is an unknown quantity at this point
Dust can cause a ark. I pull my wheels every year to check and grease the bearings. every time I stop I do a walk around wheels lights and hitch. You never know what you'll find.