Fireworks INSIDE the camper. Not good!
We were camping this past weekend at a VT state park. Tom had the generator hooked up. I was doing some cleaning inside and had the powerful little hand vacuum going (battery operated, not plugged in). It blows a lot of air around. I went by the vent to the converter and soon heard two loud bangs and sparks flew out of the vent. Smoke (and screaming) ensued. What a stink! Lucky there was no fire !
Well, the fans blew for sure. We went to the local RV place to see what we should do. Got a meter to check the genny (it is fine, output all OK, etc.). One fellow said to check and see what made the fans blow out and just replace that part and the fans. The owner came out advised that Centurion made bad converters and went out of business and we'd be wise to replace it (CS4500) . Nobody thought my vac had any connection, but there was lots of dust in there, we'd never really thought to look in there and clean it out. I still think either the rush of cool air or stirring up the dust made something blow out.
No circuit breakers flipped and all seems ok on the top part. Tom read up some old threads here and put his volt meter on. He's at work and not here to relay the numbers, but he said it is pretty likely that it is the converter. Anyway, after all the drama I'd never feel safe just replacing parts on the Centurion..
So..$$$$$$$$$ that we did not foresee. Love the Sunline, but the unexpected expenses can really put the damper on the fun of camping !!
Tom and Debbie
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 HD w/Hemi (The Poppie Mobile)
1972 Chevy K10 Custom 4 x4 - (Mellow Yellow) Orig. owners !
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR