Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
Emergency brake issue on the Sunline

We moved the Sunline today to a better angle to get it out for inspection later this month. But we notice that the cable is no longer attached to the camper. There is a plastic piece that is broken - part attached to the camper, part attached to the cable.

I'm really not sure what the next step is. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Thanks!!!

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I presume you mean the breakaway emergency switch below. If it is just the cable and the plastic pin that pulled out, then you can just put the pin back into the switch. Hopefully the battery was not connected as that would have caused the power to be applied to the electric brake magnets for a long time. That could have burned up one or more magnets in the brakes.

Some years ago my weed whacker and my breakaway cable developed an attraction for each other and pulled out, and broke, the pin. I quickly grabbed a pair of wire cutters and cut the wire. As I recall a replacement switch with pin and cable was only about $15 so I replaced it and spliced the existing wires to the new switch assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breakaway.jpg (42.4 KB, 6 views)

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
The pin thing broke in half, the other side is still there. Is it possible to just get the pin? Do these just fall apart often?

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
If yours is a Bargmen, this may be the one for your switch. Gene's pic sure look like a Bargmen and Sunline used Bargman on both of my 2004 TT's.

Replacement 48" Cable for Breakaway Switch Bargman Accessories and Parts 54-85-002

If there is a model number on the side of the switch we can maybe find it better.

Scroll down a little bit here from the Bargmen site

Breakaways - Bargman

Auto parts (NAPA) stores may have these as well. The Bargmen switches are a common trailer part.

Once a year when the trailer is unhooked from the truck, (important to not have the 7 wire plugged into the truck when doing this, can back feed the brake controller) pull the pin out and spray the O ring with some silicone. Over time the O ring gets stuck in the switch so hard you can rip the cable right out of the eyelet trining to pull the plunger out of the switch.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote