Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #1

SUN #837
JWhutch
Electrical Problems

I just recently purchesed an 88' T2265 and the first time i used the water pump it quit working. Now the outside light for the front door, bathroom fan, main light in center when you walk in, and fresh water pump do not work. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or if anyone knows where i can get wiring diagrams. I checked all the breakers and replaced the outside GFCI becaue it wouldn't reset.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi JWhutch,

First, welcome to the club and congrats on your new (to you) Sunline

Have you checked any & all of the inside GFCI outlets - there might be one in the kitchen and maybe one in the bathroom to make sure they are all reset?

Have you checked all the DC fuses? All the items you mentioned I believe run off DC.

When things stopped working, were you plugged into shore power or running off the battery?
If you were running off the battery, could it be that your battery died?

I知 not familiar with your unit, so I知 not sure if any of these questions are even applicable to your unit.

Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #3

SUN #837
JWhutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
Hi JWhutch,

First, welcome to the club and congrats on your new (to you) Sunline

Have you checked any & all of the inside GFCI outlets - there might be one in the kitchen and maybe one in the bathroom to make sure they are all reset?

Have you checked all the DC fuses? All the items you mentioned I believe run off DC.

When things stopped working, were you plugged into shore power or running off the battery?
If you were running off the battery, could it be that your battery died?

I知 not familiar with your unit, so I知 not sure if any of these questions are even applicable to your unit.

Hutch
I haven't checked the fuses but i did check the bathroom GFCI. I was plugged into shore power when they quit working. Where are the fuses located at?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Your unit should have a convertor panel that looks something like this:

If so, open it up. Here's how on the one in the pic: Along the top edge of the panel in the center there is a little black plastic thingie that has a slot in it. This is a latch to hold the panel closed. Stick a coin or a screwdriver in the slot and rotate 90 degrees. The upper panel should then swing down and then it should look like this:

Your convertor maybe a different model and open differently, but they are all pretty similar.

On the convertor above, at the right hand side there are some automotive fuses. Just below the fuses on the big label there should be a list of which fuse is what. Check them to see if one is blown. They're easy to check, just pull them out and look at them - if it's blown, it's plainly visible.

On my '99 only the water pump and the range hood are on the same fuse. It's possible that earlier models had more items on a single fuse. It is also possible that someone replaced a fuse with one of smaller amperage. All the fuses in my '99 are 15 amp except for the propane detector. If the fuse is not of sufficient capacity, it may blow under normal useage which it should not do.

On the left hand side, you can see the circuit breakers. In most units, the only items powered by 110 VAC are the air conditioner, optional electric hot water heater core, DC convertor panel, AC outlets in the trailer, and the microwave if there is one. These circuit breakers control these items and should be plainly labeled.

Edit: I checked the '88 brochure in the Files section here on sunlineclub.com - the '88's do have a convertor system. My guess is that the convertor is located under the stove or sink or the wall by the drop down table. It should be right on the front of the cabinetry and plainly visible. It should also be fairly close to where ever the 30 amp shore line enters the TT. Open that panel and check the fuses and circuit breakers and then us know what you find.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #5

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhutch
I haven't checked the fuses but i did check the bathroom GFCI. I was plugged into shore power when they quit working. Where are the fuses located at?
I don't know where the fuses would be located.
But I'm sure someone with more knowledge on your model year will pitch in here soon.

My guess is that you have a blown fuse (or fuses).

Sorry for not being more help.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I doubt you'll have a panel like Steve suggests. But you will probably have a converter box inside a cabinet, and in your case, I suspect it's underneath the bottom bunk.

It should be a metal cased box with grooves in the top. I have a picture of one, but it's only the corner of it and not very good. It's about 12"x12"x12" roughly.

I suspect there are fuses in that.

Here's some pics for others to visualize your model:

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #7

SUN #837
JWhutch
ya that is the exact model i have. I will try and look for the fuse's and hopefully the problem is just a blown fuse. Thanks for everyone's help i am 23 and this is my first camper so its all new to me.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #8

SUN #837
JWhutch
The fuse box is under the sink and it had two blown fuse's so now everything is working. Thanks for the help
Old 04-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
YEAH, JW that's great news that a couple fuses fixed the problem.

SunlineFan is our resident "Sunline Historian"

Welcome to the group, visit/post often and if not already mentioned, we really like seeing "pictures" of Sunlines.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #10

SUN #1388
1988 Sunline is an unknown quantity at this point
My ahha moment!

After the wife posted a question about the electricity in our TT - we experienced the issue again but in a different way. After having the TT plugged in all week and getting ready Friday night to head out, the power was out in the TT (after we unplugged). Nothing would work - not even the lights or the water pump. Crap.

After checking the fuses and battery, we were ready to post another "HELP" topic. But - I was looking at our GCFI plug and figured I had nothing to lose so I pressed the "reset" button and bam! All the power was back on! After this, I did a few test runs and figured out that the GCFI kept tripping. Not sure why but the fuses are good and we are not operating anything except the fridge while parked at home waiting for the next weekend adventure (plus gotta keep the beer cold).
Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988 Sunline View Post
After the wife posted a question about the electricity in our TT - we experienced the issue again but in a different way. After having the TT plugged in all week and getting ready Friday night to head out, the power was out in the TT (after we unplugged). Nothing would work - not even the lights or the water pump. Crap.

After checking the fuses and battery, we were ready to post another "HELP" topic. But - I was looking at our GCFI plug and figured I had nothing to lose so I pressed the "reset" button and bam! All the power was back on! After this, I did a few test runs and figured out that the GCFI kept tripping. Not sure why but the fuses are good and we are not operating anything except the fridge while parked at home waiting for the next weekend adventure (plus gotta keep the beer cold).
Hi 88 Sunline

H'mm you keep tripping the GFI, well it could be a few things but this I'll ask this first, the receptacle you are plugged into, do you know if it is wired correct?

Do you have one of these polarity testers?

If not do you have a volt/ohm meter and are you electrically friendly?

If you keep tripping the GFI it could mean there is a small or large amount of current flowing on the ground line from a crossed wire or something starting to short or the GFI itself may be bad. Key is sorting out which it is.

Tell us what things are on inside the camper that run on 120VAC when it trips? Even the DC power converter. If you shut the breakers/fuses maybe on your older unit, off 1 at a time and it stops tripping, then you may have isolated it to a device rather then the camper wiring itself.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Also 88 Sunline, there may be 2 GFI's one in the kitchen area probably near the stove/counter-top and the 2nd one in the bath room.

Do both trip or just one?

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #13

SUN #1508
quaddriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to quaddriver
question: if you are unplugged, why would the gfi in the bathroom affect 12v operation or did I read something wrong?