Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrical Issues

I am in Canada. At the campground I am currently at my 30 amp Progressive Surge Protector is shutting down for “Low Voltage” although it shows 122

I can’t use my AC and I could not use my hair dryer this morning
Campground maintenance guy came down and turned on the 20amp too
and my hair dryer worked but when I tried to run my AC it shut down

The maintenance guy wants to point the finger at my rig
I don’t think he even used the voltage meter he had with him just looked at my surge protector reading. He said it could be the breaker and they will replace it

I had no problems running anything at Waterton Lakes and Banff National Campgrounds

A curious thing DID happen in my way here. My new ( 2 months old) water pump stopped working. Light died at switch and no power
However, when I got to the campground I tried it and it works now?

Could there be the beginning of a problem with my camper electrical system?

There is NO RV repair service where I am currently located! 😳

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I kind of think there is a campground issue ask them if you can move to another spot. I think there is a poor connection inside the power post. The pump runs on 12 volts DC possible fuse.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

SUN #1546
It WAS the campground!
He came back and replaced the pedestal breaker

However, it still seems that my micro is not running full powered by the sound of it?

Bummer cause I am here for a month ��

Anyways I hope its ��

No RV repair here. Two hours away ��

Why would my water pump not work then work?
I never changed the fuse?

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
I kind of think there is a campground issue ask them if you can move to another spot. I think there is a poor connection inside the power post. The pump runs on 12 volts DC possible fuse.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 06-30-2019, 07:08 PM   #4

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
AC working properly now? See what the voltage is while your microwave is running. The voltage reading is relatively meaningless unless you test it under normal loads. If you have a poor connection, it can show full voltage until you have appreciable current flow, and then it dives.

Regarding the water pump, was it not functioning while on battery power, or were you plugged into shore power? Maybe a silly question, but if you were attempting to run it off battery and had the disconnect switched off, that would match your symptoms.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:02 AM   #5

SUN #1546
My AC seems to be working now

I was on the road and stopped for a break when I went to use the bathroom and when I turned the water pump on the light on the switched faded then went out and the water pump did not work

However, when I got to the campground, plugged in I decided to try it with the campground water turned off it worked

I am not sure what you mean by the disconnect switch?
For the battery outside? Its never off

I might need to test it again with the campground power off to see if its an issue of the battery not getting power to the pump. Maybe my battery is going? Its probably 5 years old

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
AC working properly now? See what the voltage is while your microwave is running. The voltage reading is relatively meaningless unless you test it under normal loads. If you have a poor connection, it can show full voltage until you have appreciable current flow, and then it dives.

Regarding the water pump, was it not functioning while on battery power, or were you plugged into shore power? Maybe a silly question, but if you were attempting to run it off battery and had the disconnect switched off, that would match your symptoms.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 07-01-2019, 05:23 AM   #6

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, I was referring to the switch outside. Your description of the light fading (it's not a lighted switch in my 1950) does sound like a battery issue, whether not charged, a poor connection, or end of life. Five years is getting up there.

I'd definitely test it with shore power off. Only thing is, just a quick test won't necessarily prove the battery is okay. If everything else is working properly, the converter's been charging it the whole time you're on shore power. That could give it enough oomph to work for a short time, but with little reserve for extended operation. It'd be a good thing to measure the voltage with a digital meter.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:35 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are plugged in that should be all the power you need to run the pump. The converter will supply power to the lights, pump, heater and everything else DC I'm kind of thinking your switch is toes up. A multi meter is a valuable RV tool even a good one is not real expensive and you can mostly master it in 15 minutes. They usually have more bells and whistles than you will ever use but general voltage checks both AC and DC are very valuable. Because most campgrounds don't hire electricians I'm always sceptical about their wiring and another valuable tool is a $5 plug in test light I have one in mine that stays plugged in it has 3 little lights that tell you if the campground wiring is correct. If you are concerned about the microwave ask the campground to check the voltage for you with everything on I can't imagine a campground without one.

Tags
low voltage, surge protector