Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Drip, Drip - Oh Boy

I was lucky twice this past weekend. 1st we made it out camping!

2nd I warded off a major mess by being in the right place at the right time.

While out camping Saturday afternoon totally enjoying the sunshine, this is a big deal here in central Ohio.... Sun that is.... Was sitting in the bath room... and I hear, Drip..... What Yes, that distinct sound of a water drop hitting tile floor...

So I finished.... and started looking up. Ohhhhh boy. This is not good. There is another droplet of water clinging to the joining molding of 2 sheets of ceiling board. Stick my fingernail under the ceiling molding and it is drenching wet. Argh....Not good....

Trace the molding back to the shower stall. H'mm OK whats up? Pull down the shower steam dome inside and, ah yup I found the leak.

Here, you can see for yourself

A close up

Yup, a shower dome crack and I can see the hint of daylight through the crack. I know this was not cracked in December as I looked over every inch of roof sealant when I put the AC cover on. And this area was on the look and see list. So somewhere in the last 2 1/2 months it cracked. It has been really cold so not a lot of water flowing when things are froze. Which is a good thing in my case. I can tell there is a slight water stain where the drips came in.

I pulled down the ceiling board to look in. The edge of the luan ceiling bard was wet and the water wicked down the sheet jointing plastic strip where the drip dropped to the floor. So I dried out the plastic strip and let the wood evaporate while I went up on the roof.

Another reason to have a ladder with you camping to deal with these kind of things.... On my smaller camper, I could use the truck tail gate or the picnic table to get some of the roof edge, but on this bigger camper, a ladder is needed.

So up I go. Yup, there it it

You may notice I Eternabonded the entire shower dome down. This crack most likely started at a screw hole and over time worked it's way up the dome. H'mm OK, let's get out the repair kit.

Cleaned the dome off good and drilled a stop drill hole at the end of the crack to stop it from spreading.

Then went in and found some spare Eternabond and made a patch

OK the outside sealed up

Now to go back inside

To be double sure until I can get a new shower dome, I Eternabonded the inside

I let the wood panel dry out and put the shower back together.

I was blessed I just caught this. Some snow slush was still on the roof when I was cooking breakfast. By 2:00pm when I found this problem all the snow was melted off. That melt is where the water came from but was totally gone by 2:00pm.

So I was extremely fortunate to catch this just at the right time to not have a bunch of damage from it. Monday it poured buckets here. Boy I dodged a bullet.... I would of for sure had water in the camper if the perfect set of things did not line up to get it fixed before big problems came.

I'll get a new shower dome heading my way.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, that was lucky to find!

I've yet to hear of a Sunline audibly alerting the owner that it's rotting away, but that's a good option to have.

Nice idea to drill a hole in the crack, just like the trick for the aluminum over the entry doors. Since your shower is forward of the axles, I doubt it was stretched from frame flex. Do you think this crack started from UV damage?

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice catch. As you said, you were in the right place at the right time. Like you, I have always kept a close eye on the shower dome. I will be interested to hear if you think part of this was a result of UV damage or if it is started strictly from a crack at a screw hole. Also wondering if it could have been because the dome was extremely cold which made the dome more brittle so that when towing down the road the regular vibration and flexing caused the crack.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I would of for sure had water in the camper if the perfect set of things did not line up

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
As you said, you were in the right place at the right time.

I'm glad things "Lined up" for you John.. This just goes to prove that you can think on things, other than your feet!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Wow, that was lucky to find!

I've yet to hear of a Sunline audibly alerting the owner that it's rotting away, but that's a good option to have.

Nice idea to drill a hole in the crack, just like the trick for the aluminum over the entry doors. Since your shower is forward of the axles, I doubt it was stretched from frame flex. Do you think this crack started from UV damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
Nice catch. As you said, you were in the right place at the right time. Like you, I have always kept a close eye on the shower dome.

I will be interested to hear if you think part of this was a result of UV damage or if it is started strictly from a crack at a screw hole. Also wondering if it could have been because the dome was extremely cold which made the dome more brittle so that when towing down the road the regular vibration and flexing caused the crack.
Jon, Gee didn't you know Sunline added that audible feature to the 2004 units? LOL Your comment I must say got me a good laugh....

This was pure luck finding this like I did. In my case good luck....

Jon and Bill

Now to what caused this, good question at this point. UV damage is not out of the question. This camper was pre loved for about 2.5 years before we started giving it TLC. I doubt the prior owner applied any kind of UV inhibitor to anything. And the 1st 2.5 years unprotected can take it's toll.

I have replaced all 3 roof vents, the AC shroud and the fridge cap all from super brittle plastic. When we bought the camper after the 1st wash it started getting 303 UV protectant regularly however the damage may have been already preset. My decals where unloved and this spring I need a new main awning from sun.

Point: UV may be a big part of this shower dome crack.

I really will not know until I take it up and see if I can tell were the cracked started from. Odds are high it may be from a screw hole that may have been too tight on the screw head.

I'll create a shower dome replacement post when I get to taking it off. I'll get to using my Eternabond removal skills....

Right now I'm on the hunt for a new dome.

Thanks

John

Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
I'm glad things "Lined up" for you John.. This just goes to prove that you can think on things, other than your feet!

I see you picked up on that.....

I also saw something I have to investigate more. When I had the shower steam dome down and the ceiling board, I peeked up towards the center of the camper. What do I see, OSB board???

See the OSB on the edges, well it goes up towards the center of the camper. When you had the T299 apart on the roof did it look like my pic?

I'm wondering if I by strange chance I have part of a walk on roof. When I pull the shower dome, I'm going back up in that ceiling cavity with a bore scope and look around. Why would they line so much OSB board in this area?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
John,

The 299 had a partial walk on roof. It also had a ladder on the rear and the tie-down rail. I don't think the OSB went up as far as the Shower... I'll have to go back through the pics....

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
John,

The 299 had a partial walk on roof. It also had a ladder on the rear and the tie-down rail. I don't think the OSB went up as far as the Shower... I'll have to go back through the pics....
Yes, I know the T299 had a partial walk on roof which made me think you might have remembered how they built the roof.

I did some digging. Here is the look at the shower steam dome back when I was curious right about after we bought the camper. OSB lined shower dome hole

Now... to the front vent hole. I had to replace the front vent over the bed. And OSB lined hole. ??? Even 1/8" luan and bud board.

Why would they line all those penetrations with OSB? The rafters would have to accommodate this if it is not continuous. Am I lucky enough to have a walk on roof and not know it?

H'mm I need to go dig in the T2499 pics when I changed the vents if it had any OSB.