Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

SUN #19
Sunline1
Disconnect brake wiring help ???

Today I shorted out one wire comming out of the little flat black box mounted under the tongue (A frame) where the hitch is. Does this operate the disconnect brakes ??

The insulation burnt off the wire I believe both wires.

I see that the wires go into the trailer I believe, to that connection box which is under the bed. I haven't looked in there yet.

Is there a fuse of any kind in the wire circuit ? If so it must be a slow blow because the insulation smoke for it seamed like a few seconds or more ? Can it be replaced ?

If this black box has something to do with the disconnect brakes.
Will this effect the use of the brakes, the normal (foot on the brake pedal) etc.

Maybe tommorow I'll look at the connection box under the bed.

I will fix the wiring, but wonder if the brakes (disconnect), will work if needed in an emergency ? Also will the normal brakes work correctly untill I get this fixed ?

Any info appreciated.

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline1 View Post
Today I shorted out one wire comming out of the little flat black box mounted under the tongue (A frame) where the hitch is. Does this operate the disconnect brakes ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline1 View Post

The insulation burnt off the wire I believe both wires.

I see that the wires go into the trailer I believe, to that connection box which is under the bed. I haven't looked in there yet.

Is there a fuse of any kind in the wire circuit ? If so it must be a slow blow because the insulation smoke for it seamed like a few seconds or more ? Can it be replaced ?

If this black box has something to do with the disconnect brakes.
Will this effect the use of the brakes, the normal (foot on the brake pedal) etc.

Maybe tommorow I'll look at the connection box under the bed.

I will fix the wiring, but wonder if the brakes (disconnect), will work if needed in an emergency ? Also will the normal brakes work correctly untill I get this fixed ?

Any info appreciated.
Sunline1

Are you referring to the “Emergency Break Away” switch? It has a thin cable on it that pulls out a pin and activates the TT brakes in the event of a TT and TV separation? The cable hooks to the truck.

If that is the one you are referring to, the wire is about 14 awg and has no fuse in it if it is still wired as most are.

One wire of the switch goes direct to the battery. The other wire will from the switch will go into most likely where ever your 7 wire TV cable connects into the TT. I do not know where yours is. The wire will junction into the Blue brake circuit wire.

The Emerg Break away switch when activated feeds live TT battery voltage direct to the brakes.

Now will work? Odds are it sounds like you toasted the wires. They sell spare switches and are common. Bargman I know makes them.

It is law in most states I know that switch is suppose to be operational when ever the TT is towed over public roads.

If the wires are burnt up, and you need to move the TT, cut off the old switch, tape up the hot wire from the battery and the other wire that joins the TT brakes. If you do not, then again you could get a short on the hot wire and the other wire will become hot when you press the brake controller in the truck. And if that wire touches metal it can short out your brake controller = not good.

If the switch is isolated from the circuit and taped off, the brakes will work as normal from the truck but you will have no emerg breakaway.

What I have typed is assuming you are talking about the Emergency Break Away Switch. I myself have not heard it referred to a brakes disconnect switch.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
See here for one place to buy replacements. Any trailer store will have them. NAPA may even have them or Tractor Supply

etrailer.com - break away switch

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #4

SUN #19
Sunline1
John

Thanks for your reply.

We are talking about the same thing. What I should have said was the "Trailer" breakaway switch. As I understand it that's what this does, apply the trailer brakes if the trailer were to "Breakaway" from the truck.

This was of course the hot wire, you know it goes to battery, but thru a "power" point under the bed inside the camper. There is a fairley large wire from the battery (+) goes into the trailer to this point and then there are some other wires connected there as well.

I see the insulation is also burnt off the wire at this point in the camper.

What I did was put a bottle jack with a big wood block under the A frame and jacked it up. This wire was under the A frame, and was pushed up, there just happened to be a bolt head where the wire contacted, and the insulation broke and it was a "Dead" short.

This bolt head was about 3" from this black box, therefore the wire and insulation are intact along this 3" section to the black box.

I'm thinking I could splice a new wire on to this 3" section and run it directly to the battery. Not into the camper to this power point like it was from the factory. Assuming nothing else was effected.

After I discoverd what happened yesterday, I did pull the camper about 20 miles and the Brakes seamed to work fine with the pedal/controller.

I also thought it might be a good idea to cut the burn wire end from the power point inside the camper as well. I don't know if I want to try to ull the burn wire from the camper ??

What are your thoughts ?

Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #5

SUN #19
Sunline1
John

you are right there is no fuse that I can find in this circuit.

since posting this earler today. I checked the voltage on the burned wire less than .2 volts. I connected the neg side of the volt meter directly to the neg post of the battery. So I guess it's fried.

I also cut the wire from the power point under the bed, will cut the burnt end also.

Sunline1