Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

SUN #3618
Misguided is an unknown quantity at this point
Cover for AC/ WASPS!!!

Is there a cover for the AC or can I make one? Should I keep it on during the off months? Because of the louvers, it looks like a haven/heaven for wasps... Also, considering everything in my trailer in secured (windows, doors,screens), where are the wasps that are flying around coming from? Can they come through the AC unit? Thanks.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

They do make covers for the AC unit. ADCO makes them. I have one I use in the off season. I did spray it when new with 303UV protectant which helps it live longer. The sun really does a job on these types of covers

A/C Covers

So yes, do use a cover in the off season. It keeps the weather out of the AC unit as well.

Now to the wasps. Yes, every now and then a wasp next shows up in the roof unit above the camper. It has not been a major problem for me.

See this post. It shows the inside of the upper unit. And you can see the small wasp nests I found when I pulled the cover. They where dead, but still there. In our area we seem to have more issues with the wasp nests in the shore power box when I go to plug in. Always lift the shore power lid cover slow and be on guard.

The upper unit is sealed up pretty good from the inside. Adult size wasps are not going to fly in unless the gasket on the cover over the evaporator coil is shot and the cover buckled. That being said, nature does find a way to survive. It is not beyond impossible that eggs may have been laid inside the camper and maybe in the AC area. They then are born inside and become active.

Thinking on this, what year/model camper do you have? The 2003 and older models use to have a stove fan range hood vent to the outside. if that vent cover never closed tight it might allow insects to come in through the fan vent.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

SUN #3618
Misguided is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks very much for the reply. The model is a 1987 T2000 Satellite. The AC is a newer model so I suppose it is sealed pretty well. I suppose I will have to go over the whole thing pretty well. Thanks again for the response.
Sam
Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #4

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
So yes, do use a cover in the off season. It keeps the weather out of the AC unit as well.
John
My home A/C tech told me never to cover an air conditioner. I know they make covers. I know many folks use them, most are smarter than I.
He said the one exception is to protect from direct salt spray (as in a waterfront beach home). Rain water is not a problem (nor snow melt). He told me the covers never fit well enough to completely deter insects, dust, etc., but they do trap moisture.
He recommends leaving the unit open and hosing it out at the start of a cooling season.
As the saying goes "..., but on the other hand..."

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Teach,

Was the AC tech referring to a home AC unit or a RV AC unit?

Only reason I ask this is the louvers are different on the 2. The home unit is made to be rain resistance and has the louvers to defect falling water and blowing snow. The RV unit has no louvers but has wide open slots. In my area snow would/will blow directly into the RV unit. This is one of those things one needs to ask them in light of that question what would he do. Let it fill with snow and stay frozen for a long time or try and not have it fill the inside with snow? Which evil is worse? My thought is to cover and try and prevent.

The Adco AC cover for the RV does fit to the bottom of the metal shroud on mine. It will deflect outside water, however condensation from changing weather conditions I'm sure will occur just like it does inside the camper.

Not trying to be a wise guy , just asking to maybe learn something new and maybe alter my methods. Different areas may have different needs. Does it snow much in your area during the winter? Here in Ohio it can be just about anything... The ground never freezes in the winter it is so mild or the ground is never seen as it is snow covered the month or Jan & Feb.

When I had 2 campers the smaller one was stored all the time inside my building. The T310 stored outside with the cover on the AC. Due to sweating metal from temperature changes the AC fan unit stored inside the building froze up solid. The one outside was fine and has been for the last 5 years. It seems during the late winter,early spring the outside temps warms up more even or stays cold. In the building the building sort of insulates the cold inside. So come the afternoon when the sun has been out it then starts to heat the building and the sweat is a lot worse. The concrete floor sweats really bad some times and my calcium filled tires on the tractor. Odd but that is what I have seen year after year.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #6

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Teach,

Was the AC tech referring to a home AC unit or a RV AC unit?
Home. Both window and whole-house
Quote:
Not trying to be a wise guy
LOL - furthest thing from my mind

We get a little snow, mostly rain and my outside unit is completly open at the top (where the fan is). My A/C on the Taj is uncovered as well and has been, I'm guessing, since 1995. Knock on wood - no trouble yet.

Teach

"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote