Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

SUN #7411
wallybrau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cooling Unit Replacement Dometic RM2501 - Recommendations

We have a Dometic RM2501 refrigerator that needs to have the cooling unit replaced. Has anyone had any good or bad experience with any of the several companies that offer re-manufactured or newly built replacement cooling units. It seems like every company I look at has several complaints, which makes it hard to decide and/or non-existant support/followup

I was really considering just replacing the entire fridge as amazon.com had a new unit for a very good price BUT the fridge is too big to get out of the camper through the door. I've heard that Sunline built the camper around the fridge, so I have no idea how I'd get it out.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I think if you take the door off you can get it out other wise replace the cooling unit while it's in the camper you'll have to remove it from where it lives but it can be done inside.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #3

SUN #7411
We took off the door and hinges, still too big to get through the door. There is a 1" lip around the front edge of the fridge is what causes it to not fit out the door. We thought we could remove that lip too as there a several screws holding it on, but it also appears to be sealed to the fridge box somehow and even if we got it off of this old fridge, didn't want to risk ruining a new fridge doing the same process...

The door to the camper is only 22" wide. If it was 1" wider (literally) the fridge would slide right out.

So we have resolved ourselves that replacing the cooling unit on this fridge is our only real option. There's not much room to work on it from within the camper but we'll make it work.

Still looking for any feedback from someone that has dealt with any of the several providers of the replacement cooling units...

Thanks
Old 09-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #4

SUN #2097
What are the complaints? It's not the easiest job and I'm wondering if there are complaints due were owner errors. Check with theBBB and see if some of the rebuilders have been flagged. Maybe it's time to reseal your door frame and you can kill two birds.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #5

SUN #7411
FYI - we went with a rebuilt cooling unit from RV cooling unit warehouse out of Memphis. The unit was shipped out of Indiana and arrived 2 days after being ordered. The replacement process is pretty straight forward on the RM2501 and took a couple of hours . With the new cooling unit installed the fridge is working great. Upon shipping the old cooling unit back to IN via the prepaid shipping label, I quickly received the $100 refund. I sent a couple of emails before and after the purchase and David responded quickly and thoroughly...
Old 11-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

SUN #2097
Good for you! Did you do it inside or did you manage get it out?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #7

SUN #1694
GWildey is an unknown quantity at this point
I replaced my cooling unit inside the trailer. I removed the table and put the refrigerator on a portable 'workbench'. It is not too bad a job. It took about 4 hours. The hardest part was to cut out the old cooling unit out around the freezer area. I bought ours from RV Icebox, it lasted about two years and quit. I called them after it quit and it appears that they are now out of business.

So, I bought a new refrigerator. To get the old one out and the new one in I removed a window and passed it through. I think it is worth the little extra money to replace the whole thing. The new refrigerator now has a auto start rather than a Piezo igniter so I had to run a new 12vdc wire to the refrigerator.

'83 T1550
'90 T1550
'06 Volvo XC90 V8
GWildey is offline   Reply With Quote