Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #1

SUN #4407
underdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Converter Charger

Hi all, Been working at getting the Sunline ready for camping. I just replaced the battery with a new grp 29. Also bought a NAXA 19" 12volt TV. I also installed a new Jack antenna head, had to redo the cable and installed a couple 12 power outlets. Problem yesterday was I couldn't get the TV to power up on 12v. I was reading 13v at the power outlet with the coach pluged into shore power.

So I called Bundle City and they told me I didn't have enough power. So I tried pluging into my car's cig lighter and sure enough it powered right up. I put my 10 amp charger on the battery last night and this morning the battery read 14v. Now the TV is working. I have it and a couple lights on just off the battery and I'm going to see how long it will last.

So the question is, do I need a new Converter/Charger. The one in it is the original Magnetek 3230-C which is a 30 amp with the automatic battery charger. If I do need a new one, any reccomendations?

Thanks

Jim & Laurie
Pittsburgh Area
1990 StarRay T205
2005 Dodge Dakota V8 Tow pac.
1992 Gulfstream Ultra LE Mini 27'
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Before writing the existing converter off, you should check all the wiring connections and make sure they are all still tight. Another thing to check, is that all the fuses are still good.

To check the converter's output, you can take a volt-ohm meter and test the output wires of the converter.

I uploaded the Magnetec/Parallax owner's manual to the files section.. It should be able to help. If not, please let us know.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/do...o=file&id=5542

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

SUN #4407
underdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply and info.
An update, Yesterday the TV played all day, off the fully charged battery, with a couple lights on and even running the water pump some. Strange thing happened when I plugged back to shore power. As soon as I flipped on a light switch, the TV went into standby. It would come back on when I hit the power button but go right off again if I turned on another light.

Connections all look good, no fuse issues. The wiring looks really good actually.

I have deduced the converter must be causing a surge or this TV just doesn't like the DC it's putting out. After doing some reading, I have decided to upgrade to a Progessive Dynamics 9200 series with the Charge Wizard. I also ordered a 6 circuit fuse block since the Magneteck had a fuse/distribution block built in. The new digital converters are supposed to be more friendly to electronics. I will post back with the results.

Jim & Laurie
Pittsburgh Area
1990 StarRay T205
2005 Dodge Dakota V8 Tow pac.
1992 Gulfstream Ultra LE Mini 27'
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
A new modern converter is probably one of the best upgrades you can do. Any of the old units with a big old transformer were not real efficient.