Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

SUN #1949
joe8grouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Converter Advice

Hi,

The CS3000 in our T2653 is driving me crazy with the fan "noise". I say "noise" because it isn't unduly loud, it just runs all the time. It picks up in speed when we use 12 volts and then falls back in speed when the 12 volt load eases. The fan just runs constantly. I am fairly confident that the converter is working properly as we have no issues with its functions other than the fan running.

What to do? I have been researching all the converter posts here and am working myself into a state of confusion. It appears the Centurion brand is dead. There is a replacement unit that appears to be exactly the same, fans and all. The Progressive Dynamics appear to be the way to go with replacing the converter.

My dilemma with that the PD is the space issue as to where the current converter is located on our model. I haven't dissected the whole area where the CS is located, in front of the tub/shower and accessible from the hallway. I am pretty sure there is not going to be much depth when I separate the unit from its location. I think a PD converter like the PD9200 series would not fit without major modifications. PD has a reconditioned complete panel, converter and breaker box in one.

How hard of a job would it be to rip out the CS3000 and replace with the PD whole unit? I am ok with wiring, not an electrician by any stretch. Maybe I should just use the radio on sleep timer and nod off to some tunes!! Appreciate any ones advice and or thoughts.

Thanks,
Joe & Tina

1998 T-2363
1994 T-2251
2011 Tundra Crew Max Limited
joe8grouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
The lower half of the Centurion box is only about 5 1/5" deep so retrofitting it with the PD would not work, the PD is deeper than the Centurion box. There is a thread here somewhere where someone cut the back off the Centurion box and enlarged it to hold a PD converter and kept the Centurion breakers and fuses. That brought it real close to the tub and requires having some metalworking skills.

It isn't all that hard to remove the CS3000. As I remember, each cable has a clamp on the back of the CS box that is a bit of a challenge to release so you can push the cable out and pull the CS box forward to remove it. I pulled one cable out on mine when I added a wall switch for the water heater and fortunatly there was nobody around to hear some of my choice words as I did that.

One problem getting my CS box partly out was the solid, heavy ground wire from the converter to the trailer frame. It went out the back of the box and through a terminal strip. All the DC negative connections also went to the terminal strip and I had to loosen that copper ground to allow the Centurion box to pull out part way. I had to access it from a second panel in the bathroom under the tub.

Maybe some super quiet 12 volt fans or an on/off switch for the fans would be easier. I have seen some super quiet fans (26dba) online for $10 to $20.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Joe,

Last Fall the converter in our 2363 "died". Here is the thread dealing with that:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...s-14073-2.html

The bottom of the first page and the second page have the entries about what we went through getting a new converter, especially given where the converter is placed in the 2363. We ended up with an IOTA converter - very good reviews, made in the USA, and the company actually send schematics with their converters, not everyone does. We've been very happy with it, it's completely silent. While it does fit in the space, a 120V receptacle had to be added and the box which the converter is placed in had to be modified.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

SUN #1949
joe8grouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I like the looks of the Iota. I seem to remember a post of the converter box modification, but can't seem to find it. Matthew, was that your mod? The new fan idea sounds like a possibility too. Don't know if this will help, but when I took the cover off the other night there was a lot of dust in there. Going to vacuum and/or blow that junk out of the unit. Maybe that will cool it down some.

Joe & Tina
1998 T-2363
1994 T-2251
2011 Tundra Crew Max Limited
joe8grouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Joe,

There is a thread somewhere on the site where someone did show mods to the converter box but that wasn't ours. Think also that JohnB posted a thread when he moved his converter to another spot in his Sunline. As we said, we're please with the IOTA but then again the new fan might really help.

Matthew & Lisa

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Joe,

It's fairly easy to remove the offending converter portion of your load center. If I were going to put a PD in my 2653, I would mount it under the sofa. There should be plenty of room and you could run some #6 wire from it, to the existing load center.

I would also run a #14 piece of romex wire from the existing converter breaker, to a new outlet under the couch.

If you follow the shore power cord, you will see where to route the new wires.

Hope this helps..

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote