Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #21

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh no! Gary and Kitty, are they carpenter ants? I once rented a house only to find out in the spring that it was full of carpenter ants. They are very tenacious creatures. Nothing I tried worked in getting rid of them and the landlord was of no help.

They don't eat the wood but do weaken it by burrowing. Please do a search on "getting rid of carpenter ants", if that is what you have.

Whether they are carpenter ants, or not, I hope you are able to exterminate them soon, and enjoy your fifth wheel for many years.

clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #22

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
When we bought our Sunline we had monster carpentrer ants. Before we closed it for the winter we put ant poison everywhere. When spring came, after a cold NH winter, they were gone/dead. I don't know if it was the poison or the winter.

Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #23

SUN #501
grannytosix
Whoops the message was sent before I was finished. I was going to say as a single older person I do not want to be taken advantage of so any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am not sure but seem to recall that I was told by someone on this forum that you can't walk on the roof of the trailer. I see lots of people at the camp doing this and am wondering the reason for this.

Thanks for any advice,
Sharon
grannytosix
Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 AM   #24

SUN #501
grannytosix
Hi again,
I sure am seeming to make a mess of this post. The first part disappeared so I thought it was sent, now I see just the second part has been posted so will try to redo what should have come first.
I have a 95 SolarisT2670. This weekend at the campground I was told by a friend who has been fixing a leaking pipe that dreaded word "mushy" when referring to the back corner of the roof over the bunk beds. I was going to post about it when I saw this post about the roof and all the dreaded photos that I am sure mine will also resemble.

My trailer is parked permanently at a camp, is this repair something that can be done in a reasonable time outdoors or does the trailer have to be moved inside. So far Gary at the camp has not been able to find anyone who can suggest someone for the repairs. How does one go about finding this person and what questions should I be asking to know if they are reliable. I would gladly pay someone $800 to fix my trailer, I was imagining in the thousands.
I would be very interested in seeing all the photos of the work done so I would have an idea of what I should be seeing and what type of work I should be making sure someone is doing..
The ending of the message was posted before this one so once again thanks for any ideas.
Sharon
grannytosix
Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannytosix View Post
So far Gary at the camp has not been able to find anyone who can suggest someone for the repairs. How does one go about finding this person and what questions should I be asking to know if they are reliable. I would gladly pay someone $800 to fix my trailer, I was imagining in the thousands.
I would be very interested in seeing all the photos of the work done so I would have an idea of what I should be seeing and what type of work I should be making sure someone is doing..
The ending of the message was posted before this one so once again thanks for any ideas.
Sharon
grannytosix
Hi Sharon,

As far as finding someone to do the work, I was lucky enough to find this guy, because of word of mouth. As for the repair, the roof will need to be rolled back until good wood is found. Anything that's wet, will have to be removed/replaced. Once the rotten part is fixed, it would be a great idea to use 1/2" plywood. We removed the bud-board (resembles cardboard) and glued the rubber directly to the plywood. With the amount of putty tape Sunline used, a lot of the gutter and the rear molding strip needed to be replaced.

The biggest hurdle for me, was not having a place at home to do the work.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Also I am not sure but seem to recall that I was told by someone on this forum that you can't walk on the roof of the trailer. I see lots of people at the camp doing this and am wondering the reason for this.

Thanks for any advice,
Sharon
grannytosix
Sharon,

Some Sunlines had OSB on the roof, that allowed it to be walked on. If your trailer has a ladder, the roof should be at least a partially walk-on roof. You will be able to tell if you have a walk-on roof, if the roof feels solid. If it's not a walk-on roof, it will move when you push on it with your hand. Our 5th wheel had a 4 x 4 piece of OSB at the top of the ladder and a 4' wide strip of OSB that runs the length of the roof. It now has the entire rear of the roof able to be walked on. We'll also be replacing all the bud-board with plywood, making the roof 100% walk-on. That will have to wait, until the rubber roof needs to be replaced.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless campers View Post
Oh no! Gary and Kitty, are they carpenter ants? I once rented a house only to find out in the spring that it was full of carpenter ants. They are very tenacious creatures. Nothing I tried worked in getting rid of them and the landlord was of no help.

They don't eat the wood but do weaken it by burrowing. Please do a search on "getting rid of carpenter ants", if that is what you have.

Whether they are carpenter ants, or not, I hope you are able to exterminate them soon, and enjoy your fifth wheel for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842 View Post
When we bought our Sunline we had monster carpentrer ants. Before we closed it for the winter we put ant poison everywhere. When spring came, after a cold NH winter, they were gone/dead. I don't know if it was the poison or the winter.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've heard great things about Terro. It's basically just water, sugar and borax. I'm going to get the ingredients and make my own ant poison. The Terro is a bit expensive, so I'll be able to save around $43

Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #28

SUN #501
grannytosix
Timeline for roof repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Sharon,

Some Sunlines had OSB on the roof, that allowed it to be walked on. If your trailer has a ladder, the roof should be at least a partially walk-on roof. You will be able to tell if you have a walk-on roof, if the roof feels solid. If it's not a walk-on roof, it will move when you push on it with your hand. Our 5th wheel had a 4 x 4 piece of OSB at the top of the ladder and a 4' wide strip of OSB that runs the length of the roof. It now has the entire rear of the roof able to be walked on. We'll also be replacing all the bud-board with plywood, making the roof 100% walk-on. That will have to wait, until the rubber roof needs to be replaced.
If you put all the hours together that it took the person from start to finish to repair your roof what would be your estimate. Did you pay this person by the hour or by the job? I am just looking for a number to compare all these repairs to when I am lucky enough to find someone to help me repair my roof. How did you protect the trailer from rain etc when there was no roof left on it? I think I am way over my head on this one! Going to phone some trailer places today to see what is available but because the trailer is on a permanent site I think I have to wait until there is more than one person at the same camp that is looking for repairs, at least I was told it was cheaper otherwise you pay much more for travel expenses.
Sharon
Old 05-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
If you put all the hours together that it took the person from start to finish to repair your roof what would be your estimate. Did you pay this person by the hour or by the job? I am just looking for a number to compare all these repairs to when I am lucky enough to find someone to help me repair my roof. How did you protect the trailer from rain etc when there was no roof left on it? I think I am way over my head on this one! Going to phone some trailer places today to see what is available but because the trailer is on a permanent site I think I have to wait until there is more than one person at the same camp that is looking for repairs, at least I was told it was cheaper otherwise you pay much more for travel expenses.
Sharon
Sharon,

From start to finish, he probably worked on it 15-20 hours. That was the total time, for all the repairs he did. He ended up fixing three spots on our roof and the underside, of the front of the fifth wheel. He did have some rain to deal with and put a big tarp over the entire roof. There was no way, any water was going to cause further damage. His price included time and materials. I sure wish we were closer together. With all that I learned from him, I think we could knock it out fairly quickly.

BTW: Here are a couple of pics, of the finished roof. It wasn't totally cleaned yet, but it gives you a good idea. Also, he uses self-lapping Dicor VERY liberally!

And where the most extensive damage was... The far ladder connection was sunken into the roof, at least two inches!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Where is this guy located? I have some work that may need to be done early next year. I've got a slide floor problem. For which I have no time/place to do the work.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
Where is this guy located? I have some work that may need to be done early next year. I've got a slide floor problem. For which I have no time/place to do the work.
His shop is in Gore, VA... About 2 miles from where I show up for work.

I'd be happy to meet you somewhere and show you where it is, if you decide to have him do some work.

Gary

Old 06-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #32

SUN #501
grannytosix
Oh! That roof!

Hi, I sure wish I lived in the States close to that guy too, it looks like he did a really good job!(At least closer than 8hrs away) I am still looking for someone to fix my roof. I contacted the trailer dealer closest to the campground that does these kind of repairs but they think they would have to move the trailer to their repair shop which means more headaches for me as it will be difficult to take out and then have someone put it back in its spot and level it again. The dealer hasn't gone to take a look yet, I guess I am on a waiting list.
I also have a couple of guys who are going to do some repairs around my house and one of them has a trailer and says he is sure he could help out. Just by chance it turns out his cousin has a trailer at the same campground and he is supposed to come by and check it out.
How can I tell if these guys know what they are talking about, what questions should I be asking them and the dealer also.
We had a lot of rain last week and it was wet inside the trailer. I have a bathroom at the back and a set of bunks on the right hand back. Under the bunks is the hot water tank etc. All the pipes are new and the intake fittings for the hose are new so we know the leak is not there. The hot water tank is empty so it is not that. The water seems to be in the back right hand corner the most but the floor is damp all around the water tank area. If the water is leaking from the roof and running down the back right hand corner inside the walls it is not showing up on the walls themselves around the bunk area. Could I drill a hole in the bottom right hand corner just to let any water that might accumulate drain? Someone has suggested putting a tarp on the trailer and waiting for the next rain to see if it is the roof that is leaking and not somewhere else. Is it dangerous to put a small heater under the bunk to dry it out, am worried it is close to the gas for hot water heater. Another suggestion given to me was that the toilet could be leaking.
I did go up a ladder and look at the roof on the weekend and took a few photos just to show how lumpy it looks. I was also told that could just be from the rubber ungluing from whatever was under it. The wooden struts seem solid enough. I do not know how to post photos on this site.
Any suggestions on what to ask for when looking for a repair place, what to watch for when it is being done, anything, anything at all that might help would be greatly appreciated.
This is not what I had hoped for when I decided camping with the grandkids would be fun!
Sharon

I think I figured out the photos, not great ones as the trees cast shadows. One of them I laid a broom handle across the roof so the bumps would show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer roof.jpg (49.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg trailer roof 2.jpg (52.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg trailer roof 3.jpg (50.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #33

SUN #1004
Khrtl
Roof Questions: Oh, that roof!

We have a 2005 1950. We have friends who have a 2005 2490(?). They had some problems with a roof leak. They said that when they had their roof repaired they were told by someone that the 2005 models had "cardboard" roofs and not plywood. I find that hard to believe.
Anyone have any comments?
Thanks,
David and Kathy
Old 06-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
David & Kathy,

What you are referring to as cardboard is "Budboard". It is what Sunline used on top of the roof trusses and then the rubber roof was glued to it. Your trailer should have the same type roof UNLESS you ordered it with a "walk on roof". Not really anything wrong with it as long as you keep up with the roof maintenance / caulking. If you have a factory installed ladder, it probably has a 4x4' sheet of OSB in the corner where the ladder is attached, the rest would be budboard. You can see the budboard in some of the pictures that Gary posted of our 5er. We will need to replace the rubber roof in 1 or 2 years and we plan/hope to replace the budboard with 1/2" plywood giving us a total walk on roof. Right now since our leak repair the rear 8' x 8' section of the 5er is a walk on roof.
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #35

SUN #1004
Khrtl
Howdy ALL
Yep...That's what I have. The roof maintains it's integrety. I guess I had never heard of 'Budboard." We purchased the cleaner and the treatment suggested by Dicor...will clean and seal it next year as well. I believe that when it comes time to replace the roof, we, too will install 1/2" ply...
Take Care,
David and Kathy
Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #36

SUN #7676
East Coast is an unknown quantity at this point
Any contact info on the guy that did this work? Looks great!
2005 F-150 4WD 5.4L 3.73 rear
East Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #37

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
His name is Roger Miller and his phone number is: 540-858-3101

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #38

SUN #7676
East Coast is an unknown quantity at this point
Thx
This number is no longer in service. Any other info?
2005 F-150 4WD 5.4L 3.73 rear
East Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #39

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
I just googled and found this:
MILLER, ROGER
1076 BACK CREEK RD, GORE, VA 22637-2605.

May want to snail mail him......

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote