Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
City Water inlet Washer on '04 T2363

Perhaps one of you guys can help on this item. Last fall when I winterized my trailer, I took someones suggestion regarding running anti freeze through the system, that included pushing on the backflow thingie in the city water inlet fixture to allow some anti freeze to flow out through the fixture thereby protecting the internal water line to that fixture. I did this with the pump on and pumping the anti freeze throughout the entire trailer hot/cold water line system. When I pushed on the back flow valve to let some anti freeze flow out, it came out like a fire hose and blew the rubber O-ring out with it. There was no way to replace that O-ring so I installed an new city water inlet fixture. My problem is that the with original hook up, the female hose part that screwed on to the city water inlet connection had a white plastic or vinyl gasket that was made like a top-hat, with a reduced end that went into the internal hose female connector. This gasket was deformed and I chose not to reuse it for fear of leakage. I have tried to find a replacement for this item with no success. If any of you have experienced the use of this type of gasket and know of a source for same, I would greatly appreciate any information possible. I hope that I have explained this sufficiently that all can understand, of if you have had experience with this item, you would understand my description without question. Back in the earlier days. I could call Sunline and they would know in a flash and say that "we'll send you one". However, those days, unfortunately for us all, are over. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Reese Dual Cam HP Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Control
Indy-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #2

SUN #296
RPierce
Jim,
Are you talking about the hose washer with the screen atached to it ? If so you should be able to pick one up at a hardware store. It would be the same as the ones they use on a washing machine intake hose.

1994 Sunline Solaris T2670
2002 2500HD Chev D-max

https://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1...gely005pm5.jpg
RPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #3

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Bob, What I am referring to is on the inside water line connection (inside the trailer) to the city water hookup, in other words, the opposite side of the fixture from the screened washer. Thanks for you response however.
Jim
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 02-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
That piece is standard RV plumbing. You should be able to stop by any RV parts counter and they'll be able to show you the part. There's nothing "Sunline specific" about that part of your rig.

If you still have the old, deformed one, take it with you.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
See if this helps

Is this the rubber grommet you are talking about?

The white one that goes between the fittings?

If so, like Steve said these are not Sunline specific. They are in the Zurn PEX family of fittings. Some Lowes stores now offer PEX.

See page 27 of this PDF. That should be the PN of what you are looking for. They call it "cone" and then you need the pipe size. PZurn catalog

Here is there web site. Zurn PEX

Most RV dealerships with a shop should have that rubber grommet.

Reading your pressure blast, yup that happens every time. High pressure back flow thru the city water inlet at pressure will blow out that O ring almost every time. It happened to me too. They can handle the high pressure when seated, but not flowing.

If you want to purge the pink stuff thru it, have someone hold it in first, then turn on the pump while holding it open. Then turn pump off, then release.

Since I blew mine up, I air blow in thru the city water to get the water out. And I air blow the whole TT. Then I pump the pink stuff and I do not burp the city water inlet. I learned once.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #6

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Bob and John - Apparently, my item is not a standard item. I am not saying it is unique to Sunline, however, it is not standard stock at the RV dealers parts dept as I have been to several and they do not recognize the part. I did visually scan the entire PZern catalog you referenced and I did not see the part anywhere.
As you said, John, I have always blown mine out but for some stupid reason, I decided to try the backflow way of draining some antifreeze back out the city water fitting. Never again. I never had a freezing problem there anyway. The problem with the washer being deformed resulted in that the short length of water line from the main internal distribution line to the back side of the city water was angled and did not go straight on the back fitting thereby causing a greater depression on one side of the washer and to get it back on where it was previously may not work and would cause leakage and I certainly do not want water gushing out onto the floor inside. I could probably use a standard rubber washer, however I don't think the longivity of rubber would would match that of the original washer and that is risky.
For matter of discussion, I if you could visualize a flat plastic washer that that is 1 inch in dia. with a 1/2 inch piece of plastic tubing bonded to one side of the washer, that may help. The tubing side is inserted into the water line coming from the main distribution line. Perhaps that helps. This is not easy to define. I left the washer installed and the trailer is covered up so can't get to it, otherwise, I would take a picture of the part.
Jim
PS- Do you perhaps know the manufacturer of the water lines? They would probably have a web site that may include the part I need.
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #7

SUN #296
RPierce
Jim,
Could you post a pic of the item you need?

Oops I missed the part where you said why you cant post a pic, my bad.

1994 Sunline Solaris T2670
2002 2500HD Chev D-max

https://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1...gely005pm5.jpg
RPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #8

SUN #264
Jim, I know what you're talking about now...

Two possible solutions that I can think of...

First, take the old washer to a plumbing supply house. Lowes and Home Depot probably won't have what you want, but it might be worth a check in the plumbing aisle where they have all the odball replacement parts. My Dad was a plumbing and heating contractor for many years, so I learned a long time ago to head for a real plumbing supply house for stuff like this.

Second, the inside end of that city water connector should be a standard pipe thread. I think the replacement one I put in my trailer is a 1/2" NPT. And, the outside diameter of that PEX tubing is probably a standard size, too. You could replace the entire connection on the inside with a standard compression fitting. Those are readily available at Lowes/Home Depot. I think that is what I have in our TT now.

And the PEX website is: http://www.zurnpex.com/

Old 02-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #9

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Jim,

I just found my spare city water flange and the manufacturer for it is JR Products, www.jrprvinc.com. I'd try contacting them to see if they can help you. I don't know if you can buy directly from them, but they might be able to sell it to you through your local dealer.

In looking at the piece, I see a white plastic disk with a hole in the center inside of the female end. Is it possible that this part you're talking about is a broken piece of the backflow valve:

BACK:

FRONT, with screen removed:

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Jim

The problem with the washer being deformed resulted in that the short length of water line from the main internal distribution line to the back side of the city water was angled and did not go straight on the back fitting thereby causing a greater depression on one side of the washer and to get it back on where it was previously may not work and would cause leakage and I certainly do not want water gushing out onto the floor inside. I could probably use a standard rubber washer, however I don't think the longivity of rubber would would match that of the original washer and that is risky.

For matter of discussion, I if you could visualize a flat plastic washer that that is 1 inch in dia. with a 1/2 inch piece of plastic tubing bonded to one side of the washer, that may help. The tubing side is inserted into the water line coming from the main distribution line. Perhaps that helps. This is not easy to define. I left the washer installed and the trailer is covered up so can't get to it, otherwise, I would take a picture of the part.
Jim

See if this helps any. Meaning if you have to convert that is.

I looked thru my pics and found these. These are our of my 2004 T2499 when I was upgrading for more storage area under the jack knife couch. Point is, in 2004 this was what Sunline was using as far as “most” fittings.

My fresh water connection is up on the far left of the pic. They have 1 /2” PEX tubing and then a fitting crimped on the end of it that screws right on the city water connection. The fitting is like I showed you above.

The layout

PEX crimp and compression fittings.

A zoom in on the backside of the fitting

However this is not what you are describing.

What you are describing sounds just like a toilet riser feed pipe. Looks like this.

Is this what is looks like?

The new riser pipes use a plastic throat bushing, but the older ones had a rubber washer in there. Both had the nut that slide over the pipe and compressed the whole thing tight.

And now they have flexible hoses with that fitting arrangement.

I agree, it sounds like the original install may have been forcing your fitting on an angle and over compressing one side of the washer. Now that you are into this, it might be a thought to take that stress out of there. Which may mean a redo of a few connections. We can’t see what you have as ours are different, but I'm sure there is a combo that can be made to work.

By the way, 1/2" PEX tube is 5/8” OD, 1 /2” ID and they sell compression fittings to go around PEX tubing if you do not have a PEX crimp tool. As most homeowners do not have the crimp tool do not as they cost so darn much. But PEX crimped on, works. And there brand compression fittings work well too. If you need more exact specs on 1/2" PEX, let me know. I have some in the shed and can measure.

I’m real curious on what exactly you have. While the factory is not around, we are and there are enough of us here that can help come up with something.

Good luck and let us know how this comes out.

John

Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #11

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Hi John - Thanks for your extensive research and information you have provided. You are getting very close to my situation. Your picture of the city water hookup in the '04 T2499 is similar to my hookup, only the location differs. Mine also has the connector with wings to facilitate turning on to the matting threads. Your picture of the toilet riser feed pipe shows a very similar washer that is close to what my hookup had (not the metal tube, only the white washer). So it looks like I may possibly find one like mine at Lowe's or other similar stores. I'll try that. I would much rather find this part rather than have to go in and modify the type of connection if at all posible. If it was not so darn cold (it was 8 degrees here in Indy this morning and snowing) I would go out and pull out that connector and take a picture of it to put on here. Regarding the angled approach of the short PEX line from the main feeder line to the city water inlet, I may be able to pull that main feeder line towards the back of the trailer and clamp it to relieve that offset tension(?). That PEX line is pretty stiff and allows little flexing over short lengths, as you well know.
I think I will hold off on this problem until this weather begins to warm up some. I will say that my "cabin fever" is starting to max out.
Thanks again for all your efforts on this and I will keep you informed on my findings as I pursue this problem and we can work this out.
Jim
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 03-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #12

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Hi John - Finally had the opportunity to raise the TT cover and pull the city water inlet fixture off to get the old washer out. I also am working to figure out this posting of pictures along with the note so don't know if I have it right or not. At any rate, I am going to post the picture of the washer that was in my inlet. It is fairly soft, not hard as the newer pex washers that I saw at Lowes Hardware.

Also, here is the connecting fitting from the internal water feed line.

I contacted a major distributer of the PEX products and explained what I was looking for and he is sending me an assortment of washers used at the time that my 2004 unit was built. So we will see what comes of that as soon as I receive them.

I am amazed at your ability of posting many and very discriptive photos and commentary. You are really providing excellent information. You are to be commended for your care and interest in helping others.

I hope the pictures come through.
Jim
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #13

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Well, the pic's did not come through I fiddled with this for some time and thought I had the process figured out, but------.
I used Photobucket for the pics. I tried RV.net, but could not find any way to post pics there.
Jim
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #14

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Jim
Well, the pic's did not come through I fiddled with this for some time and thought I had the process figured out, but------.
I used Photobucket for the pics. I tried RV.net, but could not find any way to post pics there.
Jim
Jim,

Just edit the end img for each pic and make it /img - still including the brackets. Should be OK then.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #15

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Thanks Steve - That really worked! I was about to pull what hair I have left out trying to figure this out. You guys are super when it comes to helping us folks.
Thanks again.
Jim
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #16

SUN #89
Jim

First, thanks for the kind words. Glad anything I can do helps. Others help me, so I just pass along the favor.

Now to that washer, that is what looks exactly like a PEX washer that has aged and been flattened out. I took some out of my 2004 camper and they get compressed like that over time. A new one is a straight cone.

It seems like PEX has you fixed up. When you get them, I'm curious if they come like a straight cone.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

John

PS. Your pics are coming thru A OK now.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #17

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
John - Received the washers yesterday and took pictures of them. They differ in shape, however, either one would probably work, however, I will use the one on the left in the picture as it looks like the old one would have looked when new with additional depth capability. I agree with you on the fact that age caused the original to retain the compressed congifuration over time. These are soft like rubber, not real hard plastic like the new ones, thereby conforming to the mating surfaces easily. I consider it odd that the RV shops I went to said they never saw anything like them.

These came loose (unmarked) in an envelope so I don't know which is which by part number, but here are the numbers listed on the ship doc;

P/N 06435 - 1/2 Saniprene swivel seal
P/N 18011 - PB 916 1/2 Beveled Washer (surely the one on the right)

Total cost of both including postage was 77 Cents. Can't beat that.

The supplier was Leggett Mobile Mart
8011 South Sheilds
Oklahoma City, OK 73149
1-405-631-2858

Perhaps this will help someone else that encounters this situation in the future.

It looks like we are going from snow every other day to rain every other day. Hope it gets it out of its system so we can get to work on these projects.

Jim
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #18

SUN #89
Jim

Thanks for the detailed note.

The pic, that file string is not posting. At least on the open forum, yet it does in the preview???

Here I did it with just the IMG command and the Http following it. In photo bucket it is the last IMG code selection. Click is and it will cut and paste in.

Yours may view on your computer but on my work laptop it will now come thru unless I taek out all the extra commands strings. It looked like you picked HTML code.

The one on the left is what all my spare PEX ones look like.

Glad you have your mystery solved.

John

Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #19

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
John - Thanks for your help on the image. Actually, this was a cockpit problem since I did not even follow the procedures that I had written down. I hope I have successfully corrected the image situation in my post. Let me know if you still cannot see the image. I did see in on my post when I did the first submission, but apparently you could not.

About to get washed down the stream in a big way

Jim
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #20

SUN #89
Jim

Your post pic is coming thru fine now.

Yes I called the DW back home. Rain, Rain and more rain. Actually tonight they has snow covered ground.

In Fort Collins CO today it hit 60. My goodness was it nice. Here for work.

Send some dry hot air over east to us.....

John