Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #1

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
Brakes and Brake adjustment

On our very first trailer trip, we took our Grandsons and retraced the route of Lewis and Clark. We followed the Missouri River from St Louis to Montana then went through the mountains into Idaho. It was an awsome and wonderful trip. On the way home, in Nebraska, we pulled into a park and the right rear trailer wheel was squeeling like a wounded pig, the plastic hub cap had melted and the white wheel was scorched brown. What had happened was that the brakes had worn from all the mountain braking. I, being new to the trailer, did not check the adjustment of the brakes. The pads had worn to the point where the adjusting screw mechanism fell out and without that support, the brakes in that drum self destructed. This failure cost us a lot of time and money on the road and I did all the repair myself.

It is important to keep your trailer brakes in tip top shape.

www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Paul,

We had that exact thing happen to the 2653. We weren't on the road for long, and the left rear brake and bearing just heated up and self destructed also. We had left MI on the way down to the Smokey Mtn's, and had only made it to Piqua, OH. We stopped for gas and the brake controller said "ER" for error on the off-ramp. Once pulling into the gas station, we noticed the problem and it looked warm, and pouring a leftover bottle of water on it proved the warmth. It was a sad that no one flagged us down or anything like that. Once refueling, we nursed it to a nearby Sears parking lot, where my dad tried to fix it himself, or at least some of it. He pulled the wheel off and discovered it was too far gone to fix himself. We looked up service places in the nearby area and found a dealer not too far away, but they didn't understand they needed to come out to the parking lot because the trailer wouldn't move. We later found a small local trailer shop (non-RV), which had knowledge of Dexter Axles, and fixed us up with a new bearing, brake, and wheel/tire. He also checked all the other bearings, just in case. We did have to spend one night in a hotel (right next to Sears), which was tricky with having a dog along, but it all worked out. Just a couple hours later, we were on the road and rolling fine. We always joke now when we go through Piqua. Now that I think of it, this last spring break on the way back to MI from FL, we were pulling into a rest area just south a Piqua, with my new (to me) truck, and came across a light pole down across the exit ramp. Fortunately, we missed the pole (barely!!), but I'm sure someone else might not have been so fortunate. A semi had either backed into it or ran into it from the front, since they were parked all over the entrance and exit ramps, and in the parking lot. I guess we're not the only victims of Piqua! (P.S. For anyone reading this that has ties to Piqua, Piqua is really a great town, we just had some unfortunate experiences there)

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Funny you should mention Piqua...we'll be right down the road in Anna this weekend moving the college student to his summer internship. (Honda)
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote