Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #1

SUN #12603
melissaburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Best emergency roof cover

Hi - So, it rained last night and this morning there is evidence in the bathroom of a roof leak. First time I've seen this but maybe it happened before and I just didn't notice. Here's my question, what is the best emergency cover for the roof that might hold me through the winter living in my camper? I really can't get into a repair right now. I'm in WV where we have snow and wind.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #2

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
The infamous blue tarp got me through a winter after a tree fell on my house a few years ago. The devil's in the details--rigging 2x4's and whatnot to shed rain and snow with no puddling.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #3

SUN #11755
Torskdoc423 is an unknown quantity at this point
With the head literally in the center of the rig, with the slideout next to it, it's gonna be hard to find a tarp that will fit without a lot of overhang. You living in it makes it harder to cover the roof (slide out) without it looking like a 3rd world refugee camp.

A 40' x 20' will cover the whole roof (slide included). If you are handy with some basic tools, you can fold up the extra so it's underneath(leaving some overhang on the sides), and make new grommet hold downs and have a seamless cover, while extending part of the tarp over the slideout. The main downside of this is you can't open the roof vents, and you'll need to remove the black & gray tank and fridge vent covers, make cuts in the tarp to fit these, seal, and re-install the covers. 3/8" line and rachet straps will keep it held down and fold free.

Larry
Torskdoc423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #4

SUN #12603
melissaburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Thanks for the tips!

I've decided to use a large plastic dog crate separated into 2 parts and a 10 ft section of 4-inch pvc pipe to make a peak in the roof so rain and snow will slide off. I love Larry's idea of folding the parts of a too-large tarp under and making new grommets for tie-downs. I've actually got a couple tarps and will overlap them to get the right shape for my 32 ft long camper with a 14 ft slideout. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tags
roof cover, roof leak