Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

SUN #8518
Imonmountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery converter/charger issue

I don't know much about RV battery's or converters, this is my first RV in workable condition. My first RV was gutted. The other day I plugged my RV into an outside power source as I usually do. This time the battery converter/charger started making a clicking noise. It's never done this. I went & unplugged the outside power source & noticed the battery must have died because all the inside lights were not working. Shouldn't the converter/charger have kept a charge in the RV battery? Is there anyway to recharge the battery & why was the converter making a clicking noise?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (117.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 12-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #2

SUN #8518
Inside converter
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (154.7 KB, 5 views)

Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The "clicking" maybe a circuit breaker by chance did the battery just get replaced or reinstalled? If so make sure the polarity is correct.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #4

SUN #8518
It's the same battery that's been in there for the past year. Never had a problem until now. The RV has been unplugged from an outdoor power source for about a month or two. It's usually plugged in once every week or so
Old 12-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #5

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would first check polarity of the outlet the camper is plugged into.

Next, I would disconnect the battery from the camper and use a separate automotive charger to top it off and then reinstall.

If that doesn't stop the clicking I'd ask for professional help, LOLOL!
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

SUN #2097
It is possible there is a short in the coach electrical system and not the battery side.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #7

SUN #4578
Split is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Partial bad Convertor.? Less 12 Volt ?

I.M. . We bought a used Sun Line from lady and took a few test meter reading to find out one of the Convertor circuits was only putting out about NINE volts instead of 13 volts to charge the outside battery... I agree with JIM above a seperate garage car , Sears charger is a good back up idea to top off the toungue battery.. If not used mush in colder winter I would bring inside the house.... Over time converter units wear out , get noisy , etc. Yes a newer unit can be $200 , but never heard any easy repair on a circuit componet board...
There should be 3 or 4 breaker switches.... Can try reset one at time , take voltage readings, like at lightbulbs, etc.... Maybe only wetness oon your house / box supply 30 amp line cord, soft wire...The flex head / thick round plug of the supply line can burn out a wire inside the cord over time,. We heard lady camper needed a electrician to re- plug the end of her line one time in a campground..
Old 12-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #8

SUN #8518
Here is a video of the noise the converter/charger is making
Attached Files
Old 12-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #9

SUN #8518
Here is the video of the converter/charging making noise
Attached Files
Old 12-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

SUN #2097
Hard to tell, the older one did hum a bit that was normal. The older charger/converters had two circuits one supplied power for lighting pump etc the other was used to charge the battery. When the camper was plugged in the battery was disconnected from the camper one half of the device was then used to light the lights while the other charged the battery. So you could still have the lighting system working fine but the battery would not charge a fairly common problem.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #11

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
We use to own a mobile home with aluminum wiring. We were told to re-tighten wire connections. It seems the aluminum wiring would expand/contract and cause loose connections that would overheat and might cause fires. My thinking has been that "if" wiring could loosen because of just using it then bouncing down the road would cause even more loose connections. that is why I have gone over easily reached fasteners twice a year. Beginning and end of season was my choice.

Might have nothing to do with this problem but it did cross my mind.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #12

SUN #2097
Fortunately the Sunlines are not old enough to have aluminum wiring. The big issue with aluminum wiring was dissimilar metals. Pretty much all of the camper wiring is copper but yeah bad connections can cause voltage loss and heating no matter what the wiring is.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #13
sep

SUN #7710
sep is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had that older style and also the newer one(replaced and rewired both) and never heard anything like that. I would unplug it, get some heat in the RV for awhile and call an electrician. It's not worth playing around with it.

Steve P.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #14

SUN #2097
When I bought my T1700 the first thing I did was replace the converter/charger it worked fine but they are all most worthless battery chargers. Inside of the converter (older ones) is a relay that disconnects the battery from the camper 12 volt system when it is plugged in these relays have been known to have the relay contacts stick together. If that happens the system will not allow the battery to feed power to the camper once it is unplugged this will make people think the battery is dead when indeed it is fine. The first thing you'll need to find out is the battery dead? This will require a multi meter to test the state of charge if it is some thing in the 12.5 range turn on some lights and see what happens if they do not work more than likely the relay is faulty. The older chargers are no longer made it can be repaired but I would not waste my time they are ferroresonant meaning there is a big old transformer inside that is inefficient and a poorly regulated low current charging system. Be advised the relay that switches the 12 volt systems is powered by line voltage that means when it is plugged in the relay has lethal voltage applied so if you are not too keen on that sort of thing it would be best to leave it to some one else. To me one of the best upgrades to an old camper is a modern switching power supply.