Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #1

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
battery box... drain holes or not???

I've had both. When they have drains they leak acidic corrosive water from the box on to the battery tray and frame and when they don't they accumulate water from running down the road when it is wet and the boxes never dry out. I pulled my batteries off after being under cover all winter and the boxes were full to about half when the batteries were in to displace the water (a couple cups of water).

Thoughts???

I'm thinking of putting a large hole in the center, of the box, maybe heating with a heat gun and pressing a funnel with a weep hole into the bottom of the box to allow the dripping water to drip directly down and not ooze on to the battery tray and frame.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #2

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have drain holes in mine. But I don't have a battery tray. Battery box sits on two pieces of angle iron running between a frame. Box is lashed down with strap.

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I agree, you need the drain holes. Your thought of creating a drip lip or directional drain tube/spout is a good one. I have not tried that yet, but your thought created this idea I have.

I had to modify the top covers on one of my battery boxes so I could get 2 batteries on the tongue and get the cover off without hitting the angled front wall. I was able to cut the cover, fold it back over on itself and then heat melt it back together to make it smaller in the areas I needed to. The plastic heat fused well. A heat gun and pressing on it was all I did.

That heat and melt action makes me think battery boxes may well be ABS plastic. The thought is going to, ABS solvent cement weld on an ABS 1/2" or 3/4" pipe coupling from the lumber yard, or other fitting of your choice to a hole in the middle of the bottom of the box. The large part of the weld would be on the outside and you can touch up as need on the inside. The inside is flush and the water will be directed out into the open and off the battery rails.

If you never solvent welding ABS before, this thread can help. I have since used it to fix cracked camper fenders too. If the plastic is ABS, this process will work and you can build up the weld on the outside to fuse that ABS pipe fitting on that it is not going to fall out. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...air-18665.html

Let us know how you make out.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #4

SUN #2943
Thanks Jim and John. I was shocked how much water overwintered in the boxes. I know it comes from the road, since there are rocks in there too . I measured the water comes up more than 4 inches from the bottom with the battery in. I'll do a plastic type test with the boxes to see my options as far as solvent welding stuff on, but I think my plan of heating and pressing a funnel shape into the bottom will work.

I have the battery angle iron as Jim describes that was standard that are too light for the 2 6 volt batteries on the tongue (mine are reinforced with square tube). Mine are now off, the tongue is ground clean and I've fit new heavier steel to replace. I'm having a bunch of welding done and tongue reinforcement is part of the plan. I'm adding heavier battery tray steel and complementary steel to the top of the tongue as well. I'm having a header reinforcement added (similar to the factory Lippert fix on the heavier trailers) and I have some wallowed out hanger holes that I need fixed. I also found a couple cracks where the tongue meets the header that I'll have patched up and then watch.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 04-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Tod,

Don't forget we like pic's!

Looking forward to what you come up with on the battery box.

The header and the WD area flexing fix, yes get that addressed before it becomes a bigger job. If you need any help, let us know.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #6

SUN #2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Tod,

Don't forget we like pic's!

Looking forward to what you come up with on the battery box.

The header and the WD area flexing fix, yes get that addressed before it becomes a bigger job. If you need any help, let us know.

John
Thanks John, I have the pics I'm taking as I'm working, I'll put them up. I think I'm good on the repair, we (you, I and others) went through this several months back dredging up the original thread and we had a good discussion that will guide my work.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 04-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #7

SUN #2943
Per the manufacturer (NOCO) the battery box is polypropylene. Although it doesn't glue well, it appears that PP is easily thermoformed.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 04-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a pair of group 24's sitting on a piece of 1/2" plexiglass I did provide drain holes. I have yet to see even the slightest hint of acid on either of the batteries mine are not covered so they get a good washing along the the camper.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #9

SUN #2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
I have a pair of group 24's sitting on a piece of 1/2" plexiglass I did provide drain holes. I have yet to see even the slightest hint of acid on either of the batteries mine are not covered so they get a good washing along the the camper.
I've tested the acidity of the water in the past and it is acidic, pretty low pH too.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 04-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #10

SUN #2097
Depending where you are it might just be the rain water!
Old 05-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #11

SUN #10543
MIKE43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Osier View Post
I've had both. When they have drains they leak acidic corrosive water from the box on to the battery tray and frame and when they don't they accumulate water from running down the road when it is wet and the boxes never dry out. I pulled my batteries off after being under cover all winter and the boxes were full to about half when the batteries were in to displace the water (a couple cups of water).

Thoughts???

I'm thinking of putting a large hole in the center, of the box, maybe heating with a heat gun and pressing a funnel with a weep hole into the bottom of the box to allow the dripping water to drip directly down and not ooze on to the battery tray and frame.
I have a plastic box and I put some paper towels under the battery to absorb any leakage. Works quite well. Periodically, I check and change the towels when necessary.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #12

SUN #987
awellis3
I solved my problem by putting silicone sealer over/on/in the vent holes on the lid. The overhangs that allow the cables out is plenty enough ventilation. Also a few times a year (read: When I think about it), I get a cheap brush and "paint" the battery tops with a baking soda solution. Don't rinse. It dries and leaves a film that prevents acid dew from forming.
When I was a VW mechanic, I used to do this to prevent the dreaded battery-through-the-floor syndrome.

Good luck,
Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #13

SUN #2097
Most modern batteries are basically sealed batteries now so any out gasing is just about non existent. My batteries are not in a box two side by side group 24's.