Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #1

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
bathroom light doesn't work......

I'll start my own thread on what I've done about this problem. I opened the bathroom door, flipped the doorside switch for light, the door mounted switch lit showing it was on, but no light. I immediately reached for the ceiling fixture to flip that switch without success. I then found a lightbulb that I knew worked, the one in the bedroom that worked in that fixture, and placed it in the bathroom fixture. Still no light. I then got on the floor, opened the inverter and pulled the fuse I knew to be for the bathroom and it looked good. I then got the meter out and tested across all the fused and did not get a reading at any of them so they all checked good.

After doing all of the above it was about time to do other things with family so I put the light problem on hold until returning home. Now at home and the TT stuck under cover I can work on this whenever my Wifey will allow me the time.

More to come..........

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #2

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like you have power at the switch. The next thing to do is check the fixture for any bad connections by using a power meter to see if it shows power at some point at the fixture. Then it could be dis-continuity between the switch and fixture at the positive side or a ground wire. That should be easy to check with a resistance tester for continuity.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #3

SUN #1830
I did get the testmeter out and pulled the switch and light fixture out where I could reach them. At first I checked the wall switch. Three wires to it. The power positive and negative to the light fixture and the other for the light in the switch itself. I have power as I should for that switch.

Next was to the fixture to be tested. At first I checked the power supplied and it was as it should be. Then for some reason the fuse blew. Probably me holding my probe until it blew the fuse. With the fuse removed I checked continuity. Everything was as it should be.

A new fuse installed and I installed a new bulb. Now the light works. I had looked at the old bulb and saw a good element and assumed it was a good bulb. That was wrong. The bulb had a good element but would not burn in any fixture it was placed in. I also noticed some corrosion in the fixture that probably was moved when I manhandled the fixture.

I did not exactly find anything wrong in the switch or fixture but by moving things around it now works. Onward until the next failure.

While outside playing around I also installed new plumbing vent caps. Thanks again to JohnB for a good instructional on how to do that. One thing I did that made me feel better about the replacement was I smoothed the sheetmetal by hitting the old screw holes with a hammer. Gently flattening the metal for a smooth surface to seal against.

All in all a good afternoon playing with the TT.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
When the fuse blows you know the voltage and the ground are (were) good.

I wondered what you would find since it was a 2363 like mine. Glad to see you fixed it.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #5

SUN #1830
Gene, I had looked at the bulb and it looked black on the glass. I should have just cleaned the fixture and installed a new bulb instead of making a deal out of it, but, I'm old, fat and retired and don't have much to do otherwise, soooooo.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
When the fuse blows you know the voltage and the ground are (were) good.
Now that's funny!!

It ranks up there with the "Smoke Test" That is unless it is your brand new high dollar control board...

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote