Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #1

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Bathroom Floor is spongy

I just discovered the bath floor in my 2007 2499 is spongy. Nowhere else just BR. I'm the original owner, bought it new during Sunlines last production year. Never had a leak that I'm aware of. Admittedly I'm not the most maintenance minded owner, but I think it's mostly decently cared for. I'll probably try repairing this myself at some point and use the RV with a board over this soft section until I find the time to tear into this problem. Any thoughts on the most likely source of the water leak.

Thanks

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #2

SUN #3038
johnmanna is an unknown quantity at this point
yes mine was from the toilet it is a 2002 it was the original toilet the flange on the floor came loose an water was leaking under the luniolum also i think the toilet was leaking

Old 03-27-2021, 06:17 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Bob,

I have seen what johnmanna is describing before, in this case, it was a 2005 T2363. It was caught early and the owner found it when he was inspecting the camper with a moisture meter. The floor showed high numbers (60%) across almost all of the floor. When I lifted the toilet, the rubber floor flange seal, was wet totally across the floor flange. This Sealand china bowl toilet used the same seal that is in your 2007. The wetness inside the toilet is not supposed to go 100% across the floor flange, it can have some wet, but should stop at the compression zone. If not, that wetness is right on top of the vinyl and can work its way to the hole in the floor and between the OSB floor and the vinyl.

I cut the vinyl right at the perimeter of the cabinets, shower and walls, except the doorway. This allows me on this floor plan, to lift up the vinyl and gently fold it back into the door way and not have to cut it from the hallway. Then I scanned the floor, confirmed with the meter the floor had high moisture 59%, but it was not yet soft. We let it dry out and then treated the floor with then treat it with Rot Dr CEPS to stop and potential mold growth or dry rot. Only by good fortune, and using the moisture meter was this caught this early in the leaking flange stage, and not when it was already wet for a long time. The rest of the camper had many leaks in need of heavy repair, but they lucked out in the bathroom.

Here is a pick of the vinyl lifted and the toilet floor flange, the flange is dry in this pic.

Here is a post on the Sealand toilet repair. This is from my T310SR, it had a worn O-ring in the flush ball pivot shaft. The post has many pictures and shows the toilet floor flange and the gasket. When you lift your toilet, look for wetness across the floor flange and any water stain trails showing water getting into the floor. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...0-a-19908.html

You will need a new floor flange gasket made for your model toilet. Do not use a home style wax ring, they do not work well in these RV toilets.

If you plan on keeping the camper a good long time, consider getting a moisture meter and scanning the whole camper. Just because you do not see any signs of water damage inside the living space, that does not mean there are no leaks in the ceiling or walls. Camper leak very different then a house where you see a roof leak show up on the ceiling. And homes do not leak at windows, doors or corner joints normally, campers do all the time. Now is the time on a camper your age to seal it up all the siding openings and ensure all the roof caulk is in top shape. This post has more on the moisture meter. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...per-17613.html

Hope this helps,

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:35 AM   #4

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Hi John, good to hear from you as always. Your a busy fellow what with rebuilding Sunlines and all.

My rig has treated us well and this floor situation surprised me. I have time to work on it but physically it is difficult. The old knees are not my friend anymore. I tried to assess the situation yesterday and I can feel a couple soft spots but not the entire BR. My knees will be talking to me all week after just that minor crawling inspection time.

I may be forced to use a local RV place for the work. Not sure yet but I have to consider my health first obviously. I do appreciate your comments though, and will see how I'm feeling as it warms up in the coming months.

Thank you for your information on this repair John.

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #5

SUN #2587
site23c is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Bob,
I had a similar issue. Check the support structure under the tub. My issue was that when standing in the shower, the tub floor would separate from the top of the drain, causing the leak. When out of the shower, the tub would spring back into position, and could not see any leaking. I needed to have the floor replaced, fix the drain seal, and construct a solid support under the tub.
- Brad
2001 Sunline 2653