Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-28-2021, 08:04 AM   #1

SUN #7203
Linda616 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad Roof

Sadly our 2004 Sunline Solaris needs a new roof. Just wondering what our options are. The work is beyond our capabilities to do ourselves and we were given an estimate of $6000-$8000, which seems like more than the camper is worth, although everything else has been well maintained. Are there people out there who would be interested in a camper with this much work needed? I’d like to see it go to a good home as it has been awesome for us.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

SUN #8473
roger66ogden is an unknown quantity at this point
6k seems to be the going price to have the roof replaced. This is who I deal with. Mater's RV in Alexandria Pa. (814) 669-4878

roger66ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda616 View Post
Are there people out there who would be interested in a camper with this much work needed? I’d like to see it go to a good home as it has been awesome for us.
At a dealer, pre-covid $5,000 to $6,000 is common for "just" the roof. Since we are now in Covid pricing, materials have gone way up. It's insane the cost in some cases are 2x to 3x more then in late 2019. And the cost it may or may not include all new roof vents, fridge vent and or shower dome. Water damage repair can be extra and the cost can go way up if water went down the walls which is very likely if there is an active or prior roof leak. The pricing varies.

As to your question on anyone interested in it with a bad roof and water damage, yes, there are people who are interested in them.

If you plan to get rid of the camper verses repair, consider creating a post in here on the forum in the, "For Sale" forum.

Include Year, Model and ideally pictures inside and out. Be upfront on the issues so the deal can be all out in the open. There are folks who are willing to take on the repair if they can get the camper for a reasonable cost as even the materials now and can be over $1,000 and up pending how far they go into water damage repair. And it takes a good deal of time doing this on weekends only. It may be 8 months to a year working weekends pending the water damage if you work during the week.

In case you did not know how to post pics,
There are 3 ways to add pics.

1. Upload pics to a specific post attaching them at the end of the post.

2. Linking them in from a public viewable web photo hosting service you have.

See here for 1 and 2 https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post86041

3. You can upload pics to the forum in your own personal photo album. Then link them to anywhere in the text of a post. See here on how to create an album. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...html#post87945

If you still get stuck, let us know. Pic's go a long way in helping show things.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

SUN #2437
RayKruse is an unknown quantity at this point
We repaired our 2005 Solaris by scrubbing the roof very well with powder laundry soap (TIDE) and a bristle brush, power-washed it, then painted it with 2 gallons of Heng's Rubber Roof Coating $60. ea. bought on Amazon. Looks great and works great. Hope to get many more years from our camper.

If you need physical help, contact a local painter or handyman.
Hope this helps!
Ray
Old 10-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #5

SUN #1502
JimL3222 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have repaired two different roof leaks from fallen branches, and protected/extended RV roof using a product called Snow Seal, an "elastomeric" (a fancy word meaning it stretches like crazy) coating. It is not cheap. I think it is around $40-$50 a gallon or $120-$150 for a 5 gallon bucket. Unless a raccoon dug a hole through this likely will fix whatever issues you have. I first cleaned the roof well using a laundry detergent mixed with TSP (instructions on the box) in a bucket of water. Keep your rig side wet when using this stuff, but if you can scrub a dirty floor you can clean a roof. Rinse rinse rinse then let it dry a day or so. You will only need a couple gallons of the Snow Seal product to do a 24'-27' trailer. You will also need a paint roller with two roller covers, a broomstick or mop handle to screw onto the roller, a small amount of fiberglass repair tape (hardware or auto parts store) to cover any holes you may have, two or three 2" paint brushes, gloves, 2" wide masking tape, a ladder, and sunglasses. This product can be applied above 60 degrees if I recall, and it uses the sunlight's UV to "cure" it. Again, this is and EASY job for most folks to do. I took off my air conditioner cover and fridge top vent cover when I did mine. If you find holes when cleaning you will patch those using the Snow Seal first. Paint some around the hole, cut a fiberglass cloth patch to cover, paint over the patch with more Snow Seal, then take a break for 30 minutes or so. I tape a line at the front and back of the trailer just slightly beyond where the roof line is at now. Yes, you will be creating a new edge by an inch or so. Start putting on the first layer coating. Coat around the outer edge down to the rain gutter using a paint brush. Then use the paint roller to spread the Snow Seal over a 4' or 5' square area. Move the ladder and repeat. When you get to the ends paint just slightly over the edge of the masking tape edge and when ready to move on pull-off the tape and discard, so you have a nice edge without gluing the tape down in the Snow Seal. I have found that once gallon will cover the top one time. I use at least two coats allowing the cure/dry time until a second coat in the instructions. I think it was 30-60 minutes. If the day is sunny you will appreciate the sunglasses! Work carefully, do not be sloppy, and you will be fine. If you want to be safe buy a third gallon. (You can always return it if not opened.)You CAN do this yourself and save thousands. I will have to admit - the product will only last you 20-25 years until you need to recoat it. LOL Now re-install the A/C cover and fridge top thingy and take your spouse or significant other out to a really nice dinner with all the money you saved.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

SUN #7993
RDonald3 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't have a good sealed roof the trailer won't be good much longer. As posted in earlier posts some end of life options.

2008 Polaris RZR 800
2021 Polaris RZR XP 4 1000
RDonald3 is offline   Reply With Quote