Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #1

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Bad Lug Nut....any ideas?

My new 2007 2499 has been in semi storage for quite a while. Never used! A long story not worth getting into now. Anyway....It's finally time for it's maiden voyage. I was casually checking over my wheels for adequate torquing of the lugnuts. I have the alloy wheels that Sunline included in one of their upgrade appearance groups. Well the 13/16" socket fits all but one...yup one lugnut looks like it has been rounded off by an overly careless tire jockey back at the delivering dealer. For a while there I almost believed it was one of the locking lugnuts used on some custom wheels. But that would have neccesitated one on each wheel for it to be affective..So i'm dealing with a wheel that cannot be removed in case of a flat..at least not by any means I have available..Now since this is a 13/16 lugnut is it possible a 27/32 socket might be about right to do the trick? Note that a 7/8" simply wants to continue the rounding process already started. Is it time for a nut splitter or some sort of stud remover perhaps...c'mon guys help a fellow sunliner out here.

Thanks

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #2

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
a pipe wrench or vise grips should grab ahold of it

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #3

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Actually with the depth of the wheel the use of such tools is really limited. But good thought anyway. Thanks.

Bob

Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #4

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Bob, I am not sure whether or not you can get a metric size socket in the US or not, but a trick I have used in the past for a rounded off lug nut was to get a metric sockert just under the SAE size. I would then hammer the metric socket onto the rounded off lug nut and then connect either a breaker bar or ratchet onto the the socket and then just turn off the lug nut. Once the lug nut was off and still wedged in the socket I would use a hammer and punch to free the lug nut from the socket.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #5

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe

I've removed a rounded bolt before by taking a file, or possibly a dremel with a grinding wheel, and reflattening the sides of the bolt, nut in this case.

This may work in your case permitting you to get a grip.

Good Luck,

Norm Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 B
2004 Honda CRV
Old 07-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #6

SUN #62
rich2500
this is what you need
http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Manufactur.../dp/B0007N201M
they are reverse threaded sockets,you tap them onto the damaged lug with a hammer and then just get on it with a lug wrench,I have a set I use alot on customers cars that I can't find the socket for locking lug nuts.Check your local auto store they should have them.Or check with your mechanic maybe he would let you borrow his if he has them just to get that one lug off.
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #7

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
I'd try some penetrating oil... WD, 3 in 1, liquid wrench, etc and let that set in for a bit... overnight is best unless you're in a hurry. An air impact gun is by far your best bet if you can get your hands on one and hammering on a smaller trashable socket. The hammering torque of the tool is best for what you're trying to do.

If you can't get air to it...
Some flashed heat on the lug after an oil soak with a torch and a firmly attached vice grips or pipe wrench on the lug with a 'breaker bar' to gain as much torque as you can. The lug won't be salvagable but it should definitely come off for you. You don't want the lug bolt stud coming off with the lug nut. They will do that if you're not careful to make sure the rust bond breaks before seat of the bolt stud to the drum. Also, cover up whatever you might think is going to get scratched by the wrench when it brakes free. A cloth rag in the right place can prevent some frustrating scratches and gouges on your rims when things get 'unstuck' fast.

Take care,
Jason
Old 07-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #8

SUN #385
Hematite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2500
this is what you need
http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Manufactur.../dp/B0007N201M
they are reverse threaded sockets,you tap them onto the damaged lug with a hammer and then just get on it with a lug wrench,I have a set I use alot on customers cars that I can't find the socket for locking lug nuts.Check your local auto store they should have them.Or check with your mechanic maybe he would let you borrow his if he has them just to get that one lug off.
Hey Rich, that's a neat tool! I never heard of anything like it!

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #9

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer
I am not sure whether or not you can get a metric size socket in the US or not...
Metric tools, including socket sets and wrenches, have been commonly available throughout the US for at least 10 years. They pretty much share equal space on the display racks right alongside the SAE stuff these days.

FWIW, my old '98 Dodge Ram 1500, my current '02 Dodge Ram 3500, and my wife's '02 Grand Cherokee are all metric with just a few exceptions. Most notably, the lug nuts on all of these vehicles (and the Sunline) are still SAE so I haven't had to purchase metric deep impact sockets..... (uh) yet... [fingers crossed mode is on]

However, the idea of hammering on the next size smaller metric socket onto a rounded SAE nut is just fantastic, and can probably be used lots of places; not just lug nuts. Thanks.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #10

SUN #597
henryj
I have a deep socket filled with small spring loaded steel rods. You just push it onto any nut, the rods that hit the nut push up and out of the way and the rods on the outside grab the nut. Works great and won't damage Al wheels, but I can't remember where I got it.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #11

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Well many great suggestions. I appreciate each one too. I decided to use the hammer on the socket method. I took a 3 lb handsledge and tapped the socket on and used a breaker bar with a long piece of heavy wall steel tubing to add extra leverage, and off she went. A little monkeying around on my bench vice and it was free of the socket. I touched it up with a stone in a Dremel until the right size socket goes on and off readily once again. I've added a photo to show what this lugnut looks like. I do believe a regular lugnut would adequately replace this. Any notion where I might get an original replacement for it? Could this simply be a common custom lugnut as is sold by all the auto part outlets these days. Thanks again eveyone for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Bob

Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #12

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodoleBob
Any notion where I might get an original replacement for it? Could this simply be a common custom lugnut as is sold by all the auto part outlets these days.
You should be able to get a similar lug nut at any decent auto parts store. Take the old nut with you for comparison. You may be able to find a bolt or replacement stud there to verify the threads with, or the store may have something for that.

Also, check the axle manufacturer's website for lug nut size. I know that Dexter has complete info and parts available on the web. If the lug nut turns out to be unique (which I doubt), the axle manufacturer may offer them.

My '98 Ram and the wife's '02 Jeep both had lug nuts that had a shell of chrome plated steel over the real nut. The nut was obviously smaller than standard so when the shells began to separate from the nuts underneath, I had to do the "next size smaller" thing to get them off. My local auto parts store had solid chrome-plated lug nuts for about $1.50 each. All of the lug nuts on both vehicles began to fall apart at about the same time so I replaced all 40 of them at one time. Luckily, both vehicles used the same size and style of lug nut.

Interestingly enough, your lug nut looks to be the same style as our vehicles with a shell over the real nut.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #13

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Interestingly enough, your lug nut looks to be the same style as our vehicles with a shell over the real nut.
Steve...that's my take on it as well. A shell covering the real nut. Kinda cheezy if you ask me. But as such it shouldn't be hard to upgrade following your experience.

Thanks

Bob

Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #14

SUN #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Metric tools, including socket sets and wrenches, have been commonly available throughout the US for at least 10 years. They pretty much share equal space on the display racks right alongside the SAE stuff these days.
Steve thanks for answering that question. I thought you might have metric sockets but did not want to take it for granted. I learned along time ago never to assume anything.

Quote:
However, the idea of hammering on the next size smaller metric socket onto a rounded SAE nut is just fantastic, and can probably be used lots of places; not just lug nuts. Thanks.
Yes this will definitely work on other than lug nuts. I have used this technique on other nuts. In the early days of metric sizes in Canada I mainly used metric sockets to hammer onto rounded nuts. Now a days, it I have to hammer on a socket to a rounded nut it is the SAE size.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #15

SUN #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodoleBob
Well many great suggestions. I appreciate each one too. I decided to use the hammer on the socket method.
Bob, Glad this method worked for you.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #16

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Any auto parts store or trailer parts store(add a buck) will have a match. I think they run like $2.99 or so. I'd reccomend replacing it and using the filed down one for a spare if you need it. I doubt you'd want to deal with what you did on a roadside change. Often the cause of gnarling up a lug is the use a 12 point standard socket instead of a 6 point hex deep well socket.

Also, make sure when you're done and remounting the wheel that the lugs are torqued to the appropriate ft/lbs and in the correct order before dropping weight back on it.

Take care,
Jason
Old 04-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #17

SUN #10
wagonman76
Pounding on the next size down socket (whether it be inch or metric) is what has always worked for me. If it still slips then go down another size. Eventually you will cut deep enough to get a good grip. This also works to remove locking lugnuts from cars in the junkyard when the lock key is unavailable.

Those chintzy covers are worthless to me. It really screws things up if you get a flat and your lug wrench doesn't fit anymore. I always go to the parts store and replace mine with solid chrome lugnuts. They are only just over $1 each. Besides I think they look better too.

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote