Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Awning Repair

My nemisis, the awning on my T-1950 finally broke. Actually I think it's a spring in the latch.

I tried to roll it up and the latch was in the UP position and nothing. So I tired to move it, nothing and then decided to move it to the Down position and then try again.

However, when my niece who was helping me move it to the Down Position it started rolling up! The latch is now so far back on the awning rod that it can not be reached with the awning pole. I would need to use a ladder to access it

So I am thinking it is a spring in the latch. I never knew the awning trick until John B showed me this year, lean up it to remove tension and the latch moves easily. I always had to use a pliers so the latch has always been under tension so its no wonder it would break.

The next question is where can I find a latch spring or is it something potential worst?? I hate another trip to the dealer if its something I may be able to do myself.

Has anyone just taken their down? Can it be replaced with something better??

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Joan

This post will show what is involved in taking the end cap off the awning to get to the spring inside. There are a lot of pics in the thread and it may take a few moments for them all to load.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ics-14771.html

This may be a challenge for you if indeed the spring inside if broke or the actual lever mechanism itself. There are several steps to do to unwind the tension and then you need a pop rivet gun to put it back together. There is caution expressed here as the spring is under tension and it can do bodly harm not dealt with properly.

If you can post a pic of the latch from the outside we might be able to see something but still the repair may still have to take the awning end cap off.

Too bad timing was not closer to a M & G. With the right parts in hand we could help do this for you.

Hope this helps and best of luck on this.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

SUN #1546
I checked the link but you do not have to take the awning off to repair the spring, right?

I shot my guy an email too and he thinks its a spring too and quoted me $140-150

Throw in about $300 more bucks and I could get a new awning!

I really do not like that type of awning though. I wish it could be easily
( and not expensive) replaced with one of those crank out awnings

Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Joan

This post will show what is involved in taking the end cap off the awning to get to the spring inside. There are a lot of pics in the thread and it may take a few moments for them all to load.

This may be a challenge for you if indeed the spring inside if broke or the actual lever mechanism itself. There are several steps to do to unwind the tension and then you need a pop rivet gun to put it back together. There is caution expressed here as the spring is under tension and it can do bodly harm not dealt with properly.

If you can post a pic of the latch from the outside we might be able to see something but still the repair may still have to take the awning end cap off.

Too bad timing was not closer to a M & G. With the right parts in hand we could help do this for you.

Hope this helps and best of luck on this.

John

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
I checked the link but you do not have to take the awning off to repair the spring, right?

I shot my guy an email too and he thinks its a spring too and quoted me $140-150

Throw in about $300 more bucks and I could get a new awning!
You do not have to take the awning off, I only linked that as it shows what is involved in taking the end cap off which is part of the awning material replacement process.

A $140, well 1 to 2 hours of shop time plus some parts does not take long to get to the $140.

There might be more than the spring. It might be the ratchet pawl locks the gear which may have been broke from the pliers days and finally let loose.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Old 08-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

SUN #1546
Question

Thanks John however, I do have a concern. Is there a possibility that the awning could come unraveled going down the road?

I do have it up and the it does lock/clip but still...And if there is a possibility then I would want to take it beofre not after I go to the U.P of Michigan

Quote:
You do not have to take the awning off, I only linked that as it shows what is involved in taking the end cap off which is part of the awning material replacement process.

A $140, well 1 to 2 hours of shop time plus some parts does not take long to get to the $140.

There might be more than the spring. It might be the ratchet pawl locks the gear which may have been broke from the pliers days and finally let loose.

John

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #6

SUN #89
H'mm, I never ran into this yet so I'm speculating here as an awning unrolling going down the road has happened to other camper folks and their latch was even working correctly.

If the roller is not locked from turning by the ratchet system that normally holds the roller, my speculation is wind will in time work itself in there and make a mess leaving you to deal with it half hanging out on the side of the road.

My 2 cents is, if the ratchet lock is not holding, I would fix it or strap it from turning before going very far. Wind at 55mph can be very aggressive.

I use to drive open truck delivering fresh produce with a canvas and it is amazing what wind can do just from driving down the road. We had the canvas tied down in several ways until we found the best and easiest method. We had 4 full pallets of fresh fruit boxed out on the truck. Literally put the pallet with fruit on it down on the front of the canvas so it would not lift out with the wind, put canvas over boxes towards back of truck, then throw a pallet upside down on top of the canvas, then tied the while thing down. 4 pallets per F350 or C3500 stake body truck. Boy does that bring back memories... I know this side track has nothing to do with your awning, except the wind can yank your awing right out if it can get under it.

John

Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

SUN #1546
Question

:-O

Do I have to buy an awning made by Domectic (the original) on mine or can I buy from anyone who manufactures awnings?

Also mine was vinyl, could I buy an acrylic replacement? I am thinking the material may not matter just the size

Quote:
H'mm, I never ran into this yet so I'm speculating here as an awning unrolling going down the road has happened to other camper folks and their latch was even working correctly.

If the roller is not locked from turning by the ratchet system that normally holds the roller, my speculation is wind will in time work itself in there and make a mess leaving you to deal with it half hanging out on the side of the road.

My 2 cents is, if the ratchet lock is not holding, I would fix it or strap it from turning before going very far. Wind at 55mph can be very aggressive.

I use to drive open truck delivering fresh produce with a canvas and it is amazing what wind can do just from driving down the road. We had the canvas tied down in several ways until we found the best and easiest method. We had 4 full pallets of fresh fruit boxed out on the truck. Literally put the pallet with fruit on it down on the front of the canvas so it would not lift out with the wind, put canvas over boxes towards back of truck, then throw a pallet upside down on top of the canvas, then tied the while thing down. 4 pallets per F350 or C3500 stake body truck. Boy does that bring back memories... I know this side track has nothing to do with your awning, except the wind can yank your awing right out if it can get under it.

John

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
:-O

Do I have to buy an awning made by Domectic (the original) on mine or can I buy from anyone who manufactures awnings?

Also mine was vinyl, could I buy an acrylic replacement? I am thinking the material may not matter just the size
The actual awning material does not have to be Dometic. The size that fits your camper does need to line up. Be carefull some replacement awnings are only single sided awnings. Meaning they are 1/2 as thick. Your original was 2 sided. Look at an edge of it you can see it is 2 pieces bonded as one. The single ones cost less then the double, most times.

Vinyl verses the acrylic, that is a somewhat personal preference. They both clean very differently. Do not bleach the acrylic like you can the vinyl.

I tried to research which his better can found pro's and con's to both with no strong winner which was better. I was originally going to go with acrylic, however in the end I went with vinyl for the ease in cleaning that I knew how to do.

Good luck

John

Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

SUN #1546
Question

Thanks!

I know you replaced yours. Did you find a a seller that was less expensive than another? Good deal?

Quote:
The actual awning material does not have to be Dometic. The size that fits your camper does need to line up. Be carefull some replacement awnings are only single sided awnings. Meaning they are 1/2 as thick. Your original was 2 sided. Look at an edge of it you can see it is 2 pieces bonded as one. The single ones cost less then the double, most times.

Vinyl verses the acrylic, that is a somewhat personal preference. They both clean very differently. Do not bleach the acrylic like you can the vinyl.

I tried to research which his better can found pro's and con's to both with no strong winner which was better. I was originally going to go with acrylic, however in the end I went with vinyl for the ease in cleaning that I knew how to do.

Good luck

John

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

SUN #4745
Cejay is an unknown quantity at this point
It is time to replace the awning on our 1993 Solaris. My question is how do I remove the old one? The outside end channel is closed and we can't figure out how to remove cord without drilling a hole on each end. Advice needed before we can proceed.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #11

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cejay View Post
It is time to replace the awning on our 1993 Solaris. My question is how do I remove the old one? The outside end channel is closed and we can't figure out how to remove cord without drilling a hole on each end. Advice needed before we can proceed.
JohnB does a thorough job of explain here

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning latch, broken latch, t-1950