Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Awning Pull-Out Strap

The awning pull-out strap on our T-1350 is a bit shorter than it was from the mfr. The end of the strap is no longer a loop, and it needs to be un-rolled 1/2 to 1 full turn to get to the strap. Even then there's nothing to hook the rod onto. It was that way when we bought the TT. I need to add/repair/splice the web strap and was wondering about the repair method. I'm planning on visiting JoAnn's Fabrics this afternoon to get the [nylon?] web strapping.

I'm wondering if I should just sew it, or if I should use sticky (or even sew-on?) Velcro near the top end. I've considered both ways. Sewing is no problem. I can/do use a sewing machine, and hand-stitch original leathercraft projects (lockstitch, baseball stitch, and other variations). The stitching would make for a thinner repair, but the velcro would allow me to completely remove the strap while the awning is out. We wouldn't have to see it dangling or tied off at the sides.

But would the velcro idea be a good way to do it? I figure it would be strong enough if I used maybe a 3" length. But would it be thick enough to be a problem for the awning when rolled up? I let the strap spiral down the roll as it goes up - just enough to keep from overlapping it and creating a bulge.

What say ye? Stitch or Velcro?

Thanks,
-Dale

Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
That pull strap is removable by sliding it along the slot in the awing roller. One end of the slot is open. (There are a number of accessories for awnings that can be inserted into the slot which is why it's there.) When we had the Sunline, we just removed that strap as part of setup and replaced it when packing up.

If it were me, I think I'd just remove the old one and make up a whole new one.

I don't think the velcro can handle the lateral force needed to pull the awning down or slow it down when rolling back up. And, you are right, the "lump" under the awning might be a problem. Given the low cost of 10 or 15 feet of the strap material, I'd just make a new one.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, I don't think velcro would handle it.

Personally, I wouldn't try to make a new one. They are cheap enough:

Genuine A&E Dometic RV Awning Pull Strap 94 Inch 940001 | eBay
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Dale,

Can't add much more to what Steve said. I agree the Velcro could be an issue long term. If dirt, grass etc get stuck in it then it may come apart and get the sudden "bam".... of the awning zipping up at the speed of light agasint the camper...

I just slide the strap to the side and wind it around the awning arm when the awning is out. Never thought much more about it.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

SUN #4364
I hadn't noticed that the slot was open at one end. I will take another look. I agree, that would be the best solution by far.

Thank you all.
-Dale
Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

SUN #4364
Yep, definitely a slot at the end. This looks like it could be a problem. The flexible inner thing [technical term] will go past the offset, but not the strap.

Is this serious as the awning is concerned, or is this the way it's supposed to be? Can or should it be aligned?

-Dale
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #7

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Personally, I wouldn't try to make a new one. They are cheap enough:

Genuine A&E Dometic RV Awning Pull Strap 94 Inch 940001 | eBay
I'll say! Do they come in different lengths, or are they all standard? Mine is a Faulkner Ultra-Max.

Thanks for the tip!
-Dale
Old 09-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #8

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtstanton View Post
Yep, definitely a slot at the end. This looks like it could be a problem. The flexible inner thing [technical term] will go past the offset, but not the strap.

Is this serious as the awning is concerned, or is this the way it's supposed to be? Can or should it be aligned?

-Dale
The position of the end cap on the main aluminum roller can be adjusted. Loosen the end screws just a tiny bit and use a large flat blade screw driver to GENTLY lever the end cap so that the slots line up. Retighten the screws.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #9

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
The position of the end cap on the main aluminum roller can be adjusted. Loosen the end screws just a tiny bit and use a large flat blade screw driver to GENTLY lever the end cap so that the slots line up. Retighten the screws.
I will try that, thanks. It looks like there may be three drive rivets in it, but again I'll look closer. If need be, I can drill them out and replace them with screws.

I really do appreciate all the help and education I'm getting here in the forum. Priceless for a newbie such as myself. Many thanks to all.

-Dale
Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #10

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtstanton View Post
I will try that, thanks. It looks like there may be three drive rivets in it, but again I'll look closer. If need be, I can drill them out and replace them with screws.

I really do appreciate all the help and education I'm getting here in the forum. Priceless for a newbie such as myself. Many thanks to all.

-Dale
I do not recommend pulling those rivets. The internal spring might be released by doing so.

On our Sunline, the cap and roller were misaligned just like yours. I don't recall if that awning had screws or rivets, but I did align the two with a big screw driver.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #11

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
I do not recommend pulling those rivets. The internal spring might be released by doing so.

On our Sunline, the cap and roller were misaligned just like yours. I don't recall if that awning had screws or rivets, but I did align the two with a big screw driver.
Understood. I don't want to release the spring, for sure. The "screws" threw me, because there aren't any on this one that I've seen.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #12

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I just slide the strap to the side and wind it around the awning arm when the awning is out. Never thought much more about it.

Hope this helps

John
I don't mind doing that so much, but I need to give the strap some attention anyway. It's too short for me to follow it up - even with the wand. Plus, there is no loop on it. It's a two-person job to raise or lower it, without slamming it against the side. There's a good two feet left after I run out of strap. We just have to watch out fingers.

I scrapped the home-grown remedy and have a new one coming - ordered it a little bit ago. Now I just have to get the slots aligned so I can get the old one out and new one in.

Thanks,
-Dale
Old 09-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #13

SUN #4364
I was able to get the strap out, but it took some shaking, jiggling and prying. The slots will not go into line. It's as if someone assembled it a little bit out of line. The collar butted up against the rivets before the slots lined up. I know I can correct the problem (in place), but I need to research it a bit more to fully understand how it's put together. It's a pretty simple mechanism from what I've seen and researched so far. Don't want to rush into it.

-Dale
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #14

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I may have caught this too late, but there are different size straps. There are shorter ones for window awnings that look very similar, but hopefully they are all labeled as such. They were when I searched a little bit. Some also came with the little hold down bracket for that strap to hook to.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #15

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
I may have caught this too late, but there are different size straps. There are shorter ones for window awnings that look very similar, but hopefully they are all labeled as such. They were when I searched a little bit. Some also came with the little hold down bracket for that strap to hook to.
You're fine, Jon. I did some research too, before I ordered - and found out about the different lengths. Even for the patio awning, they can vary by 2-4" in length. I asked the seller about it to be reasonably sure before I ordered it. Even though I found the original part number online, I couldn't find a strap specifically for the Faulkner Ultra-Max. I think it will be ok.

Thanks again for all your help. You guys make learning easy.

-Dale