Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #1

SUN #10153
Aariel is an unknown quantity at this point
Another disaster ... how to fix?

Hello, All:

So all was well with my 1997 Sunline Solaris T-2653, then suddenly water came bubbling up out of the toilet! Yikes. All over the floor. It was awful!

The graywater was draining into the toilet instead of draining to the outside. So two showers + dishes, and it was done.

Usually I drain all gray water into a drywell outside the camper and have the blackwater from toilet removed regularly by a septic service. I think my gray water handle (on left of picture) was completely pulled out, as usual.

The gray-colored, blackwater dial (on right of picture) was turned completely OFF to the right. Was that a mistake?

Previously, I thought the blackwater dial was either open/left or shut/right ... But now I'm thinking maybe there are THREE settings for that dial: Right-everything off. Middle - graywater comes out, but not blackwater. Left- everything open to drain toilet. ???

Is that possible? I'm not sure. The dial seemed to stop in the middle but I can't even test it till my blackwater tank is cleaned out tomorrow.

If that wasn't the problem, I don't know what else it could be! Help! Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graywater valve (1).jpg (108.6 KB, 33 views)

Old 08-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #2

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never seen that kind of setup. That being said, it would seem the only way gray water can back up into the black tank is if there is a blockage in the waste hose, or your drywell is full. It would also mean your black tank valve was open at the same time as the gray tank valve (which is a no-no). I don't think the black tank valve has any control for the gray tank, as the gray tank has it's own valve.

2015 RAM 1500 Express HEMI 4x4
2007 Sunline T-257sr
2004 Sunline T-2475
2000 Sunline M-2470
1989 Sunline T-170
j52wf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I'm going on the assumption, you bought your camper used from a prior seller. That black tank valve is not what Sunline would of provided. It appears to be added by "someone" else.

It appears to be like Jim stated, your dump hose had a back up. The black tank valve was partly open, as you keep filling the gray water it back filled into the black tank and then came up through the toilet.

Now as to the position of the black tank valve and which position the lever is supposed to be, when you get the black tank drained and cleaned out, remove the dump hose, look in with a flashlight and figure out which way that valve works for open and closed. You should be able to see the valve blade closing.

I myself have never seen that style valve before, if you see any kind of brand name on it, please post so we can see if we can find it.

On some other "older" brand campers, the gray water did had a feature to tie into the black tank to allow larger gray water capacity. I have read about this, never seen it in practice. That "different" looking black tank dump valve may have a feature to be half open. If you install a standard on/off blade valve with lugs on it where the dump hose normally goes, and close it, it could be part of the larger gray water capacity concept. Then with the black tank dump valve half open, and the gray tank open, it could allow gray water to enter the black tank to have more holding capacity, sort of creating the older style gray water tie in.

While all that may sound OK to have extra capacity, if the toilet does not seal off backwards, (it gets old and the bowl seals dry out) you can have a real problem on your hands.

Please let us know how you make out and if there is any brand name to that valve or part number molded into it.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:31 AM   #4

SUN #10153
Aariel is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you so much, John. Yes, my camper was purchased used. I had no idea that the blackwater tank was not standard! It seems pretty clear that whoever did work on the camper changed some pipes and unfortunately made it possible for the gray water to back up into the blackwater system. This is all very useful information!

The good news is that after I had the blackwater system drained, it now seems to be working correctly again. The blackwater tank is completely closed, and the graywater is draining out properly.

The brand name printed on the (pale gray) blackwater dial is CAMCO Twister.

Thanks very much again, as always, for your expertise and advice.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #5

SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen that type of valve before. It works the same as the pull lever type except you turn the knob instead. It was made to replace the pull type that were too hard to get a good grip on and pull. There is only open and closed position , no middle really unless you dont turn the knob far enough. I dont remember which way to turn them to close it. It maybe a Valtera, but not sure. Havent seen one in 20 years. Do as John suggested and check it out after its empty.
Gary G

Tags
black water, flooded toilet, gray water