Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

SUN #522
travelinsunline
Air conditioner odor

We have an 06 T1950 with the Dometic Duo Therm Brisk Air (not ducted) air conditioner unit. We have not had to use the AC that often as of yet, however, when we do turn it on (fan only mode) there is a distinct sour/musty smell being blown into out TT. Not only does it emit this strange odor, but it also blows in a fine white dust all over the inside of our TT (seems to be getting less over time). We bought the TT brand new, which sat on the dealers lot for about 1 1/2 years before we picked it up in April 07. Would this possibly be some form of dried up residue that may be present on the evaporator tray/coil? The drain holes are clear and drain properly, the filter is spotless and the evaporator coil appears totally clean (as viewed from the inside of TT). Would a disinfectant/deodorizer spray do the job (sprayed into the AC unit/evaporator coil from inside the coach)? Would I have to open up the evaporator cover from the outside and clean it out? Any suggestions on how to clear this up would be appreciated.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #2

SUN #256
Bobo
I don't know much about your style unit its self, but in a ducted unit you can get a musty smell. I apply some Febreze fabric refresher in the ducts to get rid of the musty odor. As for the fine dust, never heard of having a problem like that . I would place a call back to your dealer.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #3

SUN #626
Rich Nagel
Send a message via AIM to Rich Nagel Send a message via Yahoo to Rich Nagel
Re: Air conditioner odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinsunline
however, when we do turn it on (fan only mode) there is a distinct sour/musty smell being blown into out TT.
What I do with my air conditioner (same model but much older, a 1991) is to spray a bit of Lysol spray on the evaporator. Simply remove the filter grid, and carefully lift the Lysol can up into the return air box and spray a liberal amount directly on the evaporator. Then run the AC until the evaporator is sweating, which will flush out any bad odors or mold/mildew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinsunline
Not only does it emit this strange odor, but it also blows in a fine white dust all over the inside of our TT (seems to be getting less over time). We bought the TT brand new, which sat on the dealers lot for about 1 1/2 years before we picked it up in April 07.
Sounds to me like it may simply be dust leftover from the construction of the trailer. Like you posted, it seems to be getting less over time. BTW, the Lysol mentioned above will prolly solve this problem as well
Rich Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #4

SUN #522
travelinsunline
Thanks Bobo and Rich Nagel for your advice....I'll definitely give the spray thing a try first.