Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #1

SUN #3340
Eyebot is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice on fixing a camper roof!

I posted about my leaky roof but figured I would do a separate one about how I go about fixing the ceiling now!
I attached pictures of it. I am looking to fix the roof first of course but want to find out the best and most cost effective way to fix the ceiling. It is bumpy and the wood is a bit damp. I really don't want to have to tear the whole thing apart . Maybe some of you had experience with this or know a step by step tutorial on it?
Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0012.jpg (45.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0010.jpg (31.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 102_0011.jpg (32.7 KB, 100 views)

Old 02-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Eyebot,

Oh boy... The good news is in your other post you stated you are handy fixing things around the house. If you are handy with wood and have the tools they will come to use with this project.

The issue is above that wet ceiling board is fiberglass insulation that is most likely soaking wet. And by the looks of the pics that are really deteriorated, it has been that way for over a year or more.

If you are looking for a recommendation, after dealing with my rotted slide floor, the ceiling panels that are wet need to come down to inspect above. I myself would start with the one that is deteriorated first. It has to come out anyway. Once out you can may look to see how good or bad the rest of the situation is.

I do not know how the older Sunline ceilings where held up. On the new ones they are glued and stapled and have a plastic seam channel that hold the 4 x 8 sheets at the joint. Yours is a variation of this. A good sharp sheet rock knife may be a place to start to trim out a piece and then keep going.

You have to get all that wet insulation out of there. Dry it out 100% and then if the rafters are still hard and intact they may need treatment from the mold rot to kill the fungus so you do not get dry rot later one. Here is one such product Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats and homes.

Looks like this

And a heads up, buy the proper rated respirator when using it. They sell one that is a reasonable price for what you are getting. The fumes are "bad" but with the respirator on, you do not inhale any.

Now what to fix it with, If you are anywhere near Elkhart IN they have many surplus places that sell camper everything. If you need some names let me know I'll dig up the ones I have been to. If not then you might find a match in a local lumber yard of paneling that will come close.

Hope this helps and good luck.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

SUN #3340
Eyebot is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks again John! So I ended ripping out about half of the paneling inside the camper as half the windows and most of the ceiling was leaking, it seemed there was no easy fix. I started with sealing the roof, next I am waiting for butyl tape I ordered to re-seal the windows as was as lap sealant for some joint. When it's all dry I will finish with the epoxy on the rotted wood and re-panel the whole thing.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Water damage can be real big deal. About the only way to afford it sometimes is being able to do it yourself. Good luck.

John

PS I posted a roof coating in your other post. It lists it is also for metal roofs. Don't know if you started on the roof yet.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote