Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

SUN #733
tervio
Access to roof

I was wondering if anyone has gained access to their roof from the inside of your trailer? I do believe I have stopped the water infiltration, but not wanting to replace the rubber roof I thought I may gain access through the ceiling. I need to get in near the front of the trailer counter side. Can you remove the seam covers? Would that even help? I have pulled the speaker out of the ceiling and do not feel moisture yet do smell the musty's.

Thanks Tervio

Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tervio,

EMD_Driver has pulled ceiling panels down and even on a 2004 model camper. He can give better explanation on what you will be up agasint.

Getting the panel down is one thing, being able to save it in the process may be another thing.

Since you smell the musty's, the water has been festering for some time. And it sounds like it may be up front. Was it the top front seam along the roof line?

A heads up, unless you have a full walk on roof, then you have the heavy corrugate board called Bub board under the rubber membrane and over the top of the rafters. That corrugate board can wick water and being a fiber material may be shot if it was wet. I hope this is not the case in your situation but it will be a choice you will be faced with if you find the bud bard wet.

You may be able to rent an inspection camera system. They are called bore scopes and have a light and camera in the end of a long flexible shaft. If you can find one, then use that up in the speaker hole and look around. You may find you have to come through the roof.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hey Tervio...

If you manage to get the ceiling panels off in one piece, they will be very difficult to get back in. Sunline glued them to the roof trusses. Once/if you get the panels down, you will find a lot of wires, insulation and ducting inside the ceiling/roof. Here's a picture for you:

This Sunline had a small leak, in the bathroom ceiling.. Here's what I found above the ceiling board..

In this case, the insulation was wet..

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote