Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #1

SUN #3292
gmcc is an unknown quantity at this point
AC not working!

Woke up to the AC buzzing and electric smell. No air flow coming out of the ducts. Looked like someone had put the fan to on and not auto. So may have burned out the fan motor.

instructions on how to troubleshoot the AC unit would be great if you have them.

I would think capacitor or blower motor?

The unit was cooling fine earlier today.

Model number of AC is Duo-Therm 59516.331

Old 08-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #2

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
When it comes to analyzing specifics, it's best if a certified tech or someone with an AC background had a closer look, using his voltmeter and referring to specs. Unless someone here knew these things backwards for specifics then it could be a guessing game, hence a fire waiting to happen. The electric smell is a tell-tale sign that something is amiss and should be checked out properly.
I think what you could do is to disconnect the power, and see if the fan even moves. If it's seized that may be your only problem.

Those big capacitors are "startup capacitors" for the compressor itself.
Seriously, start "sniffing" around to see where the major odor is coming from.
Then depending how comfortable you are run a heavy duty extension cord where you can unplug from inside the trailer (not just using the off/on switch. If you start it up and it hums pay direct attention to the "where's" of everything. You might only have seconds to diagnose. If your circuit breaker pops immediately it's time for a pro.

Replace only the fan itself is not a difficult job. But the other stuff you should have a decent back ground to understand the circuit.

Maybe someone else could provide better info but that's what I would do.
keep us posted

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi gmcc,

How electrically friendly are you? Do you have and know how to use an ohm meter? There is some basic checking on the windings you can do to see if you have short.

The fan motor on your year AC unit is buried inside the fan housing. To get to it out, you have to take almost everything out of the roof unit. And I mean right down to the metal tub of the bottom. The compressor unit has to come out to get the evaporator fan blade off. It is doubled ended armature shaft. One end has a fan blade outside to blow across the condenser. The the other end is inside the unit to blow across the evaporator.

You can see the fan motor here out in the open. That is not the problem though, the evaporator fan blade is the problem.

Here is the inside fan blade

You can see it here, behind the evaporator coil.

Your year unit will have a capacitor for the compressor and the fan. They have changed the ratings of the fan capacitor over the years.

When I bought my new fan motor, I had to change the capacitor

This was my original motor.

And the new one that replaced it

If you know 120 volt AC control wiring and DC control logic, you can trouble shoot these. If this is too much for where you are at, then a shop may be a need.

At the moment my compressor system died last week. Pending what the shop rate you would get charged to change out the fan motor, if that is it, it may be cheaper to change the AC unit. I think my fan motor was around $150 ish but I did all the labor. If your compressor unit is the issue, start with a new one.

Hope this helps and let us know what your skill level is.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote