Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

SUN #3292
gmcc is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS vs PVC - Repairing / Rerouting black water Drain pipe

I need to repair and reroute the black drain pipe for the blank water tank. The original owner of the Sunny, rerouted it lower than what it should be and I keep having to replace the drain valves after they hit the pavement coming out of a slightly sloped exit/ramp .

Home Depot does not carry the Black ABS pipes like the current drain pipes. I have seen discussion on ABS versus PVC usage for the drain pipes. The little reading I have done on the internet does not lead me to think there is a huge difference in the performance of the pipes. the biggest difference I see is the color. I can paint the white pipes afterwards with paint that will adhere to plastic...

Does anyone know if there is a reason to not use the white PVC drain pipes for the repair / replacement of the black water tank drain pipes/

Old 08-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
A plumbing supply should be able to supply you with ABS pipe.

ABS is for drainage (no loads) only, whereas PVC and CPVC is for potable water and can take a load (water pressure).

The ABS I would think would be less costly.

You would have to look at the O.D. and I.D. of pipe to make sure they are compatible to each others sockets. I think they are as I believe the effect is on the ID. It's been awhile since I have worked with either of these and my brain isn't as young as it use to be. There is a wall thickness to consider, i.e. schedule 40, 80, etc.

The glue (cement) would have to be a multi-purpose glue for ABS, PVC, CPVC. Not a problem to get at any HD or hardware store.

ABS (black) will have a better UV inhibition factor.

Long-short. Yes you can most likely do it, however, I don't see any real reason too.

The box stores may not have the ABS, because it is a more commercial product used by contractors. A real plumbing supply house should. If all else fails, McMaster-Carr should be everyone's go to (reference at least) plastic bible.

Hope this is of some help.

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #3

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
I got home and have a 1 1/4 " dia. ABS shower drain pipe from my 1983 T-1550 handy to look at. It is schedule 40,which makes a lot of sense as it is as light weight as you can get.

Good luck with your project.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs/pvc pipes blackwater