Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #1

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
A solution to getting rid of bees nests in stink pipe vent

I found a solution to getting rid of a bees nest in the stink pipe vent on the roof the other night.

If only works if it's in the black tank vent and you happen to have a flush out system.

It's also a great way to check how well your toilet valve seals.

1: Hook up the hose for the back flush.
2: Turn on the water.
3: Ensure the black tank valve is closed
4: Walk away and forget about it
5: When you see water pouring off your awning, turn off water
6: Open black tank gate valve
7: Remove back flush water hose
8: Check black tank to ensure there's no damage. If there is, panic.

Jon

P.S. If you've read this far, I'm sure you wouldn't consider doing such a thing. Let me say based on a recent experience, I wouldn't want to do it (again) either...

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #2

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
Hi Jon from what you are saying I hope that your toilet seal work very well and the only place you had water running off is the awning ji f not I can only imagine what the inside looked like I hope all is well did you have a chance to look into the RAS system for your Excrusion yet ?well good luck hunting bee's Dan

Old 07-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Please, tell me that you drained and scrupulously cleaned the black water tank BEFORE you attempted this?

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #4

SUN #123
It actually wasn't in anything of ours.

The story actually is from last Thursday evening...we all came up here for the weekend, and the kids of our neighbors got up here shortly after we did. I, like usual, went down to volunteer to put their awning out. They hadn't eaten yet, and their parents were just leaving and still four hours away. They went off to seek food (this was either at or around 10:00 at night) and the only place they found open was Hooters...

Anyway, I put the awning out, strapped it down like they like, got some of the chairs put out, etc.

I then thought about the fact they'd probably come back, and since it was late, they might just go to bed. Well, they might go to use the bathroom before they go to bed, and then they'd find they have no water on, so I decided to turn on the water to the trailer.

Our water spigots here already have two connections, one for the unit and one for a garden hose. He had a white drinking water hose connected to one side, and quite a bit was coiled up by the valve. I figured it must have been an old hose and was just being used as a garden hose, so I left it. I really wasn't thinking much and saw a white drinking water hose coming out of the other side, which was T-'d off. I turned that on and then had to turn the T's valve on.

I went back and stood under the awning for a little while while I tried to get the awning strap perfected more as well as get some rope lighting out. I then ventured back to my own lot about five minutes later.

About a half hour later, one of the kids comes down and says they have water gushing down their awning. I had no idea what could have possibly leaked up there, because last I knew they never plumbed anything to the roof.

I go walking down with them and when we get to the point when I can see, I start to run. I asked if either one of them had shut off the water, and they hadn't. I immediately ran to shut that off.

I started to investigate. Water was running off the awning when I came up just as if it were raining really hard. It was like a constant stream off the corners. I noticed water all over the ground underneath the trailer. Since this is a fifth wheel, I first opened the front basement door. As expected, I found the floor inside the cabinet containing a huge puddle of water. I ran inside and checked the toilet, which I only found a small amount of water on the floor around the toilet.

I did find out in the basement that the black tank was bulging down. So I knew the tank filled up, but I couldn't understand how since there was really no water inside.

We never leave our black tank flush hooked up (as well as most people I think), so I didn't expect that to be an issue, and to have an old drinking water hose attached really confused me.

So long story short, I was up until about 2:00 pulling down the cover around the tank, draining the rest of the tank, reinstalling it back up into the slots, etc. We were fortunate that the tank itself was just fine, it just needed to be pushed back up. For some reason, Jayco didn't do a real good job supporting the tank for it to collapse when the tank filled up. I did find out this was the second time this happened though.

Toward the end of the repair, I found out that they did flush out the tank real good last time, plus dumped a few toilet bowl's of water down there, and then finally put some chemicals in. So I think it was pretty clean, which was nice.

I also found out toward the end that there was the bees nest up in the stink pipe, so they didn't have to worry about cleaning that out somehow.

What a vacation...

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 07-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #5

SUN #123
Dan,

I haven't looked into the RAS yet. I've been busy trying to sell extra stuff around the house, so I've actually parked my Excursion since a couple days after the M&G and haven't driven it at all

Jon