Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

SUN #641
mventrice
88 t-1550 hiden water damage

last year i noticed that the back wall pasanger side was leaking in the rain over winter. it damaged the panneling some. i removed the window and recaulked it. i did find waterdamage to the window sill and wall but decided not to repair it as it would be to big of a project. later in the year i got a blow out damageing the plastic around the wheel opending. i just decided to repair that today after removing the plastic wheel modling an pulling back some of the bottem sheet metal that was damaged i discoverd excessive water damage/ rot from the wheel back to the corner of the camper. the wood is dry and soft. after inspecting this more i realized that the back compartment that i always thought the corner of the floor was just swolen from the previous owner throwing the wet hose in there when he packed up( did this when i bought the camper 3 years ago) is actualy the side of the camper sunk some 3/4" lower then the floor. if i put the jack under the corner i can get the wall level with the floor. i dont have months to work on this so i was thinking of welding a support from the frame out to the corner like the front of the trailer is supported. What do you guys think on here????

do you think i is worth while to try and repair the whole corner in the future? all the sheet metal would have to come off the back and the one side to fix the water damage from the one side?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Just went through the same thing if you don't fix it it will get worse the stringers will soak up moisture like a sponge and rot even further the plastic pan and fiberglass hold the moisture in. I had to replace the stringers all the way to the outside edge and a 2'X4' section of the floor in side of the rear compartment it was no fun at all would have preferred to have been beaten up in a bar fight.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

SUN #641
mventrice
Do you have any pictures of your repairs in progress or any good tips
Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry I don't. I removed the stringers to the point of good wood I half lapped all the joints and screwed and glued them together the worst part is getting the staples free from the old wood if you can get a hold of them with pliers you can pull them out but it's very hard to get the wood free from the staples if you try and pull the wood free. It's a tedious job some of the stuff is bolted to the frame work also of course the bolts will be rusty. It's a time consumer and dirty but I guess that's part of owning an older TT. I'm a tool freak and a half fast wood worker so that was a help neat tools were a big help.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Mventrice,

Sorry to hear about your water damage. I agree with Mainah, if you want to keep the camper you gonna need to deal with this head ache. I was lucky, I only had a rotted slide floor. Never even knew it until I went looking as a good friend had some issues with theirs.

The rot will keep spreading, it is truly and infection. Actually getting the siding off is not that bad. I ended up using a larger pair of needle nose vise grips to get a whole of the staples and yank. The siding comes off from the bottom up.

There is also a product called Rot Dr. Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats and homes. I used it to kill any active fungus rot even left in stiff wood. If you do not get the fungus, dry rot keeps going. They even use that resin to rebuild some timbers but in my case I cut out all the bad stuff and added new.

While this is a slide unit being fixed, it has a bunch of pics that may help. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...age-10695.html

Also see our Sunline Articles area in the FAQ forum if you have not. Here, zoom down to to this section and read on. More pics of rotten stuff fixed.

Restoring a Sunline

1. Repairing water damage on your Sunline.
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f1...nks-11910.html

Good luck and post pic's of before, during and after. This really helps the next guy out and helps show us what your up against to maybe help point to some things we have done to help you get through this. We can help too as you go through this. We have a number of reconstruction artists here and willing to share rot stories....

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

SUN #2749
Brendamae is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendamae
I have a t1550 that is in beautiful condition if anyone is looking to upgrade to a water free model! lol