Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

SUN #31
campingne
2006 T-2075 trailer with oven problem

Hello,
I am writing with a problem in my Atwood oven. I can light the pilot and the oven starts to warm up. During the cooking cycle the pilot goes out so the oven won't relight. Usually it is a problem with your thermocouple because the pilot won't stay on. My pilot stays on for a short time and then fails. Does anyone think that it is still just as simple a problem and I should just change out the thermocouple.

Thank you,
Chris

Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006 T-2075 trailer with oven problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingne
Hello,
I am writing with a problem in my Atwood oven. I can light the pilot and the oven starts to warm up. During the cooking cycle the pilot goes out so the oven won't relight. Usually it is a problem with your thermocouple because the pilot won't stay on. My pilot stays on for a short time and then fails. Does anyone think that it is still just as simple a problem and I should just change out the thermocouple.
Chris, before you spring for a new thermocouple, there are a couple of things you can do to sort out the pilot.

First, clean the pilot light area. Crud can build up on the thermocouple head, the metal around the pilot light, and even on the orifice itself. I'd take an old medium or soft bristle toothbrush and give it all a good brushing. Be careful not to bend anything out of position.

Second, pull your manual for the stove and see if there is a troubleshooting section on the pilot light. In particular, see if it shows a drawing of the position of the thermocouple relative to the pilot flame. It is possible that something has gotten knocked out of position slightly.

Third, check the flame orifice and tubing. It is possible that there is a partial blockage. On my Atwood oven, the gas line for the pilot originates at the back of the oven gas valve which is directly behind the oven control knob. Lift off the top of the oven and you can see all that stuff. The pilot gas line is the smaller of the two lines. The thermocouple also connects to the same valve block.

There may be other trouble-shooting suggestions in the manual. I don't have mine at my fingertips at the moment to check that for you.

If these suggestions don't work, then swapping out the thermocouple is next.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote