Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

SUN #3726
Woodsfam is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Sunline Solaris Slide room motor

Hello, the electric motor that runs my slide out is pretty much dead. It is not a hydraulic motor, it is gear driven. I was hoping to remove and replace but the model, serial number on the tag is not readable. Does anyone know what motor it takes and if i need to replace the entire mechanisms or just the black cylinder that screws onto the mechanism. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jared

Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

SUN #3726
Hi, I finally found out that my slide room system is Dewald "posi-lok" electric rack and pinion slide out system. I also figured out that Power Gear bought them out. I emailed them and am awaiting an answer. If anyone so happens has been through this and has the same camper, i would greatly appreciate the help, i just don't have a model number to find replacement.

Thanks
Jared

Old 05-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hey Jared!

I don't know how your post slipped by without any replies! Do you have any pictures of your slide mechanism? I had no idea, Sunline used their equipment. all of our slide model Sunlines had Lippert slide mechanisms.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

SUN #3726
I believe I attached what is in my camper. 2001 Sunline Solaris SR. If anyone else has this model, i have quite a few manuals that were used in the production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg april2012 014.jpg (49.4 KB, 222 views)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

SUN #3726
Since the gear reduction mechanism that the motor attaches to is easy to turn and the battery is charged, i am assuming the little motor that attaches and does all the work is the problem. This is the manual that came with the camper and exactly matches what is going on in the actual camper. The problem is that there is no model/part #'s for replacement.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jared,

Well we continue to learn more about Sunline history. Around 2002 ish time frame Sunline went to a Lippert slide drive. Before that they used "some" Barker slide drives.

Now in the 2001 system, or at least your model, we have the Dewald "posi-lok".

What model camper is yours? They also made above floor and flush floor slides. It may be that flush floor bigger slide in this time frame used the Barker and the above floor used the Dewald.

Please post what ever you find out. I do not recall this brand/type before and we too learn from your help and experience.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb View Post
what model camper is yours?
'01 267SR. Pics in his profile...
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #8

SUN #3726
I do have the dinette and couch slide room which is pretty big and it is above floor. As the gentleman said above it is a 2001 T267 Solaris. I was surprised while I was researching that noone seemed to have the same setup. Everyone talked of either Lippert or Barker but no Dewald. Dewald I guess was bought out by Power Gear if anyone needs to know. I believe you have to go through a dealer to buy anything from them though. I will let you guys know how the electric motor company does with fixing my motor for this Dewald system. It might be the way to go instead of replacing. Has anyone ever replaced the power converter on one of these campers. Centurion 3000 series model CS4500. I am going with the WF-8965 but am nervous I will get in over my head.

I think this sight is awesome by the way, thanks to all of you who are so committed in helping.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsfam View Post
Has anyone ever replaced the power converter on one of these campers. Centurion 3000 series model CS4500. I am going with the WF-8965 but am nervous I will get in over my head.
Changing a converter is not all that difficult. I would recommend that instead of changing the entire converter/fuse block assembly, you would consider changing only the converter. Progressive Dynamics makes a very reliable unit. The PD9260C is a great converter. I have installed two of them and JohnB installed one in his T-310SR. Trailblazer also installed one in his F-311SR.

Clicking the words "Installed" above, will take you to the threads we posted about our converter installs.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go!

EDIT: I have never heard any negative reviews about the PD converters. I have, however, heard some bad press about WFCO converters. I also believe the PD converters are made in the U.S.A. and the WFCO units are made in china.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #10

SUN #3726
Hi, will the PD9260C be what i need to basically accomplish the fans in this centurion do not have to run constantly and also my battery to charge. My camper is always plugged in while parked in my yard. I have a designated 30amp for it and my battery never charges (new). So this converter will let the block be the circuit/fuse board and thats it. Sorry for the confusion, i just plan on buying this unit online soon and installing it....just want to make sure i am on the right track.

Another thing is that my electric motor for my bump out turned out to be in perfect shape. Sent it to an electric motor shop and guy only charged minimum fee to check it out. So super slow bump outs are not necessarily the motor dying. Now i have to figure out how to see what is obstructing the bump outs movement or maybe if it is just age and sag that is causing it.

Jared
Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Hi, will the PD9260C be what i need to basically accomplish the fans in this centurion do not have to run constantly and also my battery to charge. My camper is always plugged in while parked in my yard. I have a designated 30amp for it and my battery never charges (new). So this converter will let the block be the circuit/fuse board and thats it. Sorry for the confusion, i just plan on buying this unit online soon and installing it....just want to make sure i am on the right track.
Hey Jared,

The PD converter will keep your battery optimized and fully charged. If you looked at my install thread, you will see that I simply disconnected the factory converter and wired the new one, where the old one's wires used to connect. I actually mounted the new converter in the space behind where the factory load center is. If you need any ideas or help, I'd be glad to give you my phone number...

Gary

Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #12

SUN #3726
Gary,

Thanks, I get it now. I'll Let you know how i made out

thanks again
Jared
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #13

SUN #3865
lovetorv is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Hi, I finally found out that my slide room system is Dewald "posi-lok" electric rack and pinion slide out system. I also figured out that Power Gear bought them out. I emailed them and am awaiting an answer. If anyone so happens has been through this and has the same camper, i would greatly appreciate the help, i just don't have a model number to find replacement.

Thanks
Jared
Jared, were you able to get any information on this? I too have the same Dewald Posi-Lok electric rack and pinion system. I have a T-260SR (2001). I emailed them today and am hoping for a reply.
Patty
Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #14

SUN #3726
Hi Patty,

I ended up removing my motor and bringing it to an electric motor company to have it checked out. I was surprised that there were several companies that work on electric motors in my area. I assumed it was the motor just like you because it would die in mid opening/closing cycle. I had the motor checked, lithium greased the gear reduction box etc.. All this helped but my main problem was my battery. That motor is working solely off that battery and even if the camper is plugged in, it would not work right if the battery isn't accepting a charge. I went through the same stuff you are going through and to be honest, i still give it a little push when i am closing it but nothing compared to what it was doing before.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #15

SUN #3865
lovetorv is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply. I guess powergear wasn't able to help you? Hubby said he will check the battery tomorrow. Appreciate the info.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #16

SUN #3726
I never got that far because I didn't want to pay for a new motor just to find out it was something entirely different, so i decided to have the motor checked to be safe and it wasn't the motor. The real problem turned out to be that my power converter wasn't charging the battery properly so once I replace the power converter and replaced the battery, the problem was resolved.

Good Luck
Jared
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
The real problem turned out to be that my power converter wasn't charging the battery properly so once I replace the power converter and replaced the battery, the problem was resolved.

Good Luck
Jared

Glad you figured it out!

Happy camping..

Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #18

SUN #131
Vicky
Like Jared and Patty, I have a 2001 SLR unit. I have the Dewald slide mechanism and the Centurian converter. I plead total ingorance with regard to electrical situations and beg your patience.

Several of our friends say they camp, hooked to shore power, with absolutely no working converters. Is that possible? Our Sunline has been on a permanent site for two years, used extensively in the spring and fall. The converter/fan has run constantly since we purchased it new in 2001. When it is hooked to shore power, the fan runs regardless of the battery condition, no exceptions. I can't help but think this contributes to excessively high electric bills. Every other thing in our camper runs without problems but our slide mechanism hasn't worked for the past 1 1/2years and I've been forced to crank it out, from under the unit each spring and fall. I'm trying to connect the dots if you will. With the exception of the slide, I don't know of another reason I need a battery UNLESS the converter must have a battery for its proper operation. Is this the case if the battery is dead...will the converter continue to work properly with a dead battery? Do I absolutely have to have a converter if I'm not relying on battery power for anything but the slide room function? If I must have a converter, is there one that works properly without a battery hooked to it? If it means much lower electric bills, I don't mind cranking the slide two times a year; however, if I must have the converter, is there one that will not run 24/7 when on shore power?

Again, I beg patience because I have a total mental block when it comes to electrical problems...but I'm trying to learn.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #19

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Vicky,

The fans in some of the older convertors had dumb controls. They did like you said, ran all the time. My older one was a hair better but not much. it did have a thermostat in it but is was so sensitive that just about anything running on 12 volts more than the LP detector would start the fans running. After the fans bearings went out I replaced the unit as control board parts where no longer available and I am really glad I did.

To your question on needing a battery on a permanent site. It depends on the actual converter. The older ones, yours very possibly, needed the battery connected to help stabilize the 12 volt system and make the converter work correct.

Many of the new converters are much more intelligent and do not need a battery. They can run full power and no battery. The Progressive Dynamics brand I have is like this.

There is however 1 advantage to a good converter and a battery. Power outages. Your camper is all setup to run on battery, the fridge, furnace, HW heater, lights etc. If power outages are common in your area, having a battery that is hooked up to a good converter that will not kill the battery....can come in handy. That said, if you have been at camp for years and power failures are rare, well OK then maybe it is not needed. Just make sure to tape up the positive battery cable so it does not touch the camper frame if there is no battery in place so the hot cable does not short to the frame with the power on.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #20

SUN #131
Vicky
Thank you John for your response. If the Centurion fans are running constantly, does that mean it is constantly trying to charge the battery, also...or is it just cooling the normal activity of the converter? Am I right to assume the fans running constantly is also using more electricity than a newer converter would use? Since our site is only a hundred miles from home, I don't worry so much about battery readiness and power failures. We would just pack up and go home. We usually leave the camper on shore power during the spring/summer/fall months because we don't want to haul refrigerated/frozen stuff back and forth for each trip. If the converter goes out, does the fridge go out at the same time? We have a small freezer in the camper but it operates on 110 so I assume I wouldn't have to worry about anything in there if the converter went bad. Is there anything else I should worry about if the converter goes out while we're away from the camper for a week or two?

Thanks again for all you to do help,